Annual Budget for G Shocks / Watches
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Annual Budget for G Shocks / Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Annual Budget for G Shocks / Watches

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's annual budget for G Shocks or watches in general?

Because I was just doing a bit of maths with my bank balance, and after adding up all my purchases, I couldn't really believe what I've spent on watches this year... As I think I've picked up over 50 watches this calendar year, including the MRG-G2000HT, GW-5030T, GWF-T1030, DW-5635-9 and a bunch of vintages.

Kinda feeling the buyer's remorse right about now...

Re: Annual Budget for G Shocks / Watches

I don't really have a set watch budget, but I lightened up on my purchases this year. I think I only bought a few G-Shocks: a GD-350-1C, DW-6900BB-1 and DW-6900LU-8.

I probably have enough watches. Today I set 26 non-atomic watches back to standard time. Hopefully my 9 atomic watches will set themselves over night.

I don't have solid number but I try not to have too many watches. I feel buyer remorse when I have too many or buying one that I don't really in love with or disappointed with the watch in certain way. When it happen, I let that particular one go.

When I was into mechanical timepieces, I limited myself to 10 at a time. Now i put those mechanical guys in the safe and reset my count as most of the time I only wear casio. I try to stick to the same rule but only 2 empty slots available after that "one in, one out"
    GaryK30 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello,
    I do not have an estimated budget for watches. I did not buy many this year, even though nice editions came out. It was just too much for me ....... and again too few with the features that I imagine. It may be that I'm still one or two bumping but at the moment I'm quite happy with what I have.
    GaryK30 and Facelessman like this.

I only budget life's necessities, including retirement, after that it's money to burn. Life's short so burn baby, burn!
    I be a living timepiece, the years showing on my face and felt in my bones.

CC

I've done well flipping watches this year. Get to try them out in person then make a few quid to fund the 'must haves'.
    Finding great deals is as good a buzz as finding the rare models.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

For me there is n real budget. However, I have been limiting myself lately to about on a year. I will also add that I just can't see going much over 1,000 USD.

I don't sell much for a couple of reasons. The first is just the hassle of selling. I have a lot of concern that I might somehow inadvertently misrepresent something and create a disappointment in the buyer. I also have some concern for, "sellers remorse." People who sell know what I am talking about.

I would definitely regret these if I were to sell them. However, they get very little use, simply because I am not wearing my mechanical watches much anymore, and I really don't know why I am not wearing the Tag much, other than it really eats batteries; so it is seldom ready to wear. I have had it relumed since I took this picture. Of these two, I would miss the Glycine more than the Tag.

All that being said, I have sold off nearly all of a certain class of watches. You will just have to take my word for it, they were very aware of what I was selling. They were sold on forums that cater to those types of watches. Of that type, I have only kept two. One because it never kept good time and I could not, in good conscious, sell it to someone. Then there is one other that I simply like, I had written why I like it; but it comes down to the simple fact that I like it. However the rest of those, and there were never many, they are nearly all gone. Enough about those watches.

For a while I was into Citizen, However, I hesitate to sell them because either they are something I really like, like the old style Blue Angel and my dress watch. I also have some that remind me of the women my life when I purchased the watch. Yes, I have one Citizen that I would sell; but that takes me back to the issues of hassle and my fear of disappointing the buyer.

A couple of these, the ones on the two ends, remind me of a couple of people that were a special part of my life. The second one from the left is the only one that I would never notice if it were to go away.

I did have a watch that I remember getting rid of. It was a very low end quartz GMT of of a unique design, it even had a correct jumping hour hand, I just never liked it. I just gave it away to someone who liked it.

There is nothing really wrong with this one, I just never liked it.

I have a couple that are on the way out. I took them out of my watch box and returned them to their original boxes. I keep planning to sell them, it is just the hassle of selling that interferes with that plan. Right now they are at my house in Salt Lake, close to a thousand miles from where I am working.

These two are out of rotation; but I never feel like spending the energy to get rid of them. And yes, I know that the Frédérique Constant is, also technically, a Citizen. I think the place that the FC would take in a collection is taken by the small citizen.

On to Gs'. The Riseman was purchased, and used for, a solo bike tour in China. It was my first G Shock. As you can see, it was purchased in 2013.

Since then I added some others; but if you count, you will see about one per year. I really like the GW-A1100; but it is more of a weekend watch, even though I am wearing the Rangeman right now. The Gw-25oo was my go to work watch for a couple of years. Then I saw the GR-B100 last month and it was an immediate, "want."

Wearing this one right now.

The most recent addition.

Of course, I also purchased this one this year, however it is used; so it doesn't count , right?

I don't have any good pictures of it because it is on the slowest of all boats from Japan.

The main thing that I think is going to eventually remove the GR-B100 from steady use is that I like bracelets. I suspect that next year, sticking to the one per year, it will probably be replaced by an MTG B-1000 on a bracelet. I am trying to decide of I like the Black or the Steel better. I the black were red, instead of Blue, it wouldn't even be a decision, the Black & Red would be it.

image from here
    This is waiting for next year because I am sticking to one per year.

So, this has been a long winded way of saying, about one per year.
    Last edited by Hasaf; November 4th, 2018 at 13:52.
    Charles89, Facelessman and GaryK30 like this.

I bought two G-Shocks this year: a GW-9400 and a GG-1000. The Mudmaster Junior was returned because I found it to be just a little too large for my wrist, even though I liked it very much. That's pretty restrained, I think. Unfortunately, there were 14 other watches purchased and that got a little spendy. On the good side, I've seriously downsized my overall collection and sold off or gave away 27 watches. Net to me: 11 less watches since the beginning of the year. I'm down to a total of five G-Shock/Pro-Treks.

To answer the question of the OP, I don't have any any specific watch budget. Being retired I can pretty much spend whatever I want on watches but my focus is getting my collection to the point where I'm completely happy with what I have and don't see the need for any update. In the Casio segment, I'm very satisfied that I have what I need and while every once in a while I see something interesting, I am ruthless in evaluating whether it would be truly worn or better than what I already have. Most of the time, the answer is no.

Chris "Doc" Vail of NTH Watches posted an interesting and humorous graph he made of how the average watch enthusiast behaves, in his observation. I think it applies to us G-Shock Nerds pretty well. Republished here with respect to fair use. I'm definitely on the right side of the curve now, after having gone though an insane purchasing binge over the past couple of years. One in, one out is how I debate a new acquisition.

Name:  IMG_0125.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  41.5 KB

"3x3 Challenge" refers to a thread Doc started in Jan 2013 that asked WUS what 3 watches they would buy for $300 each (new price) that they could live with forever.
    Last edited by Lee_K; November 4th, 2018 at 17:24.

I try and be quite reserved but this is the reality
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by willydribble; November 4th, 2018 at 20:37. Reason: duplicate

ive always been pretty good with money, growing up poor with very budget conscious parents helped alot with that (still feel guilty sometimes if im a little frivolous with spending, not so much the amount spent but the value ratio of what im actually paying for). generally i save wherever and whenever i can, if a grocery item isnt on special, unless its a staple, i'll just wait for it to go on sale or i shop around as much as i can. doing that means every cent i save can go towards fun things like, watches, sneakers or mid week piss ups in another city :p haha i also work two jobs, so if i'm getting in a little extra cash on my side business, im more likely to consult my wishlists/watched items ;)

in general tho, i feel it would be pretty hard to allocate a budget, some years there might be a bunch of great releases, others not. some times you come aross great used deals, other times you feel like no one wants to sell anything decent.

i think, just like dieting, the key is moderation. dont restrict yourself so you dont have cravings to go nuts, but also know when to dial it back and check yourself

/2c

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K View Post
    To answer the question of the OP, I don't have any any specific watch budget. Being retired I can pretty much spend whatever I want on watches but my focus is getting my collection to the point where I'm completely happy with what I have and don't see the need for any update. In the Casio segment, I'm very satisfied that I have what I need and while every once in a while I see something interesting, I am ruthless in evaluating whether it would be truly worn or better than what I already have. Most of the time, the answer is no.

Chris "Doc" Vail of NTH Watches posted an interesting and humorous graph he made of how the average watch enthusiast behaves, in his observation. I think it applies to us G-Shock Nerds pretty well. Republished here with respect to fair use. I'm definitely on the right side of the curve now, after having gone though an insane purchasing binge over the past couple of years. One in, one out is how I debate a new acquisition.

Name:  IMG_0125.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  41.5 KB

"3x3 Challenge" refers to a thread Doc started in Jan 2013 that asked WUS what 3 watches they would buy for $300 each (new price) that they could live with forever.
    being a collector that wants to play with all the toys, not own all of them, this sums me up perfectly! once youve owned a fair chunk of different model varieties over many years two things start to happen 1. you really start to like what you like, even if you have a pretty broad taste, theres styles that you gravitate towards 2. it becomes alot harder to justify a purchase or for a model to earn a seat at your collection table.
    once upon a time i could find the good in any new model simply to justify the purchase but now i find im spending alot more time picking them apart to hinder a swollen collection lol more power to those that have reached this point far earlier in their collecting careers lol
    Facelessman, Lee_K and kubr1ck like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information