Another Combi-bracelet topic... installed on an MRG
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Another Combi-bracelet topic... installed on an MRG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Another Combi-bracelet topic... installed on an MRG

So as many of you already know, there's this terrific combi bracelet that CASIO made, which comes as an option with certain models. Usually there's a "BC" suffix to the model name for "bracelet, composite" or "bracelet, combi". It makes the GW-5000 pretty much the ideal classic square G-Shock. And it is also capable of dressing up many other square watches, in addition to the 6900 series (all with the same combi-bracelet part). CASIO has also made the combi bracelet for a couple of other models. I know there's the AWG-M100BC, which is a smallish digital-analog watch. It was also used in an Aviator and I think a ProTrek. It's not exactly the same bracelet for all of these -- the end links are shaped differently, so you have to order a different band.

I've got a GW-M5600BC that I've had for a good many years and bought a 2nd bracelet for installing on a GW-5000... but as things turned out, I've still not landed a GW-5000 yet (I've been aiming for a used one having scratch free glass and DLC for around $150~170 USD--which I've seen come up before and missed). But while servicing an MRG-1 that I've got, the idea popped in my head to try test fitting it. The lugs are compatible. But, the bezel is not 100%. More like 90%. Still, it's not bad and looks perfectly fine from a distance.

As you can see, there is that slight corner jutting out on each side. If I decided to make this combi-bracelet dedicated to the MRG-1, I'd take a sharp knife and shave them down to mate well to the bezel (but then they may not look proper on a GW-5000).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: Another Combi-bracelet topic... installed on an MRG

Looks good! Kinda cool that this combi bracelet fits onto a number of Casio watches without much or any modification.

If I were you I would not shave down the ends of that bracelet. It doesn't look bad as-is. And if you shave it down it won't look right if you do put it on a 5000 one day.
    xevious and MainePorsche like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Looks good! Kinda cool that this combi bracelet fits onto a number of Casio watches without much or any modification.

If I were you I would not shave down the ends of that bracelet. It doesn't look bad as-is. And if you shave it down it won't look right if you do put it on a 5000 one day.
    Thanks! The end link corners are a touch sharp, so I might do a tiny bit of filing to smooth it out, which shouldn't affect the appearance on the GW-5000. So no trimming, but just a little rounding. What's also nice about the combi-bracelet is the weight helps center the watch. And in consequence, the alarm tone is slightly louder.
    MainePorsche and StephenWatch like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm also thinking about doing a vinyl heat-shrink treatment to the clasp, which should provide a tough layer that will prevent desk scratches, while still looking OEM.

Bracelet looks factory mate, well done. That heat shrink is an excellent idea. On all my watches, I've simply applied a bit of 'carbon wrap' left over from my car roof treatment, to protect buckle from scratching. However, will explore heat shrink on my next one!

Name:  carbon wrap clasp.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  1.04 MB
    xevious likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Great idea.

Probably the first person ever to try this combo.

Mitch

Looks nice.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Look good to me but better if you shave those extras (It's just my opinion). Then just dedicate those end-links to the MRG-1, and buy a pair of endlink at Pacparts for the GW-5000 (but correct me if I'm wrong, I read from other thread that you don't have GW-5000 at the moment). Here's the link of the end-link.

PacParts: 91087092812

Are there any alternative bezel for the MRG-1?

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    ^ Thanks. But I did the same thing as Fer did here -- wiggle the end piece. And it would not automatically slide into place. It would just hang there, outside the lug hole. I don't have a GW-5000. I'm believing now that the lug hole spacing on that watch is just well suited for the GW-5000 and is not quite the same for other watches.

Who knows, maybe detaching the whole band up to that end link gives better leverage or something. I never tried that. It could be THAT is the "secret sauce" to doing this so easily.
    xevious likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Epal2Apol View Post
    Look good to me but better if you shave those extras (It's just my opinion). Then just dedicate those end-links to the MRG-1, and buy a pair of endlink at Pacparts for the GW-5000 (but correct me if I'm wrong, I read from other thread that you don't have GW-5000 at the moment). Here's the link of the end-link.

PacParts: 91087092812

Are there any alternative bezel for the MRG-1?
    Thanks -- are you certain those are end links? The part is listed as just "band link" and there's no other links mentioned... so I'd presume it's just a link to extend the length of the band. They may not sell those end links separately.

There is one other bezel that is compatible, but it's also a model that was long discontinued and is even harder to find... Real pisser that CASIO discontinued these. You can periodically find them on Yahoo Japan, but they're like 50% less than the cost of a whole watch with bezel and band so... kind of doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Thanks -- are you certain those are end links? The part is listed as just "band link" and there's no other links mentioned... so I'd presume it's just a link to extend the length of the band. They may not sell those end links separately.

There is one other bezel that is compatible, but it's also a model that was long discontinued and is even harder to find... Real pisser that CASIO discontinued these. You can periodically find them on Yahoo Japan, but they're like 50% less than the cost of a whole watch with bezel and band so... kind of doesn't make sense.
    I inquired with them before regarding that item, and according to their explanation, it is the piece that connect the watch and the composite band. So it seems to me, it is the end link. Just inquire with them if you are interested. I know you can return them if it's not the part that you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information