Another "G honorary" ^-^ Casio W-S220 review
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Another "G honorary" ^-^ Casio W-S220 review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another "G honorary" ^-^ Casio W-S220 review

Hi,
    there are a few models outside the G-Shock series which might have well been a G if it wasn't for some small stuff they lacked (like a removeable soft resin bezel or a 200m rating). One well-known example is the DW-290 which has kind of a cult following. And two days back I bought another one of that kind - the new W-S220 - successor of the W-S200 (one of my favourites of the "cheapo" models).
    First a pic:

I think the resemblance to the GR-8900 or GW-8900, G-8900 is striking. It also has a little DNA of the DW-6900 me thinks. Even the buttons are recessed like on most Gs to prevent accidental pressing. The size is good, too - about the same or even slightly larger than a GW-6900:

The specs:
    - module 3271
    - size according to Casio europe: 51,7mm x 49,8mm x 14,6mm
    - solar
    - 100 hr stopwatch with 120 lap memory
    - REC-mode
    - double 99min55sec timer with 10 times auto-repeat adjustable in 5-sec increments
    - world time
    - 4 alarms + snooze
    - adjustable illumination

Features look pretty standard but one of the nice things is that the watch shows current time down to the second in stopwatch-, timer- and alarm-mode. You can change the stopwatch display so it shows lap or split-readings in the lower part of the display. 100 hrs is also pretty nice for a stopwatch.
    Some more pictures:
    stopwatch (notice the "running man" animation in the upper right corner):

timer:

world time:

alarm:

The watch has basically the same features as the new STW-1000 just without the atomic reception. My specimen seems to run well within G-Shock specifications - has gained about 1 sec in two days. The one big improvement over the W-S200 is the ability to show current time in STW-mode - the W-S200 couldn't do this because of the 4-button layout (the adjust-button took lap/split-readings, while on the W-S220 it changes the info on the display). The button layout is more standard than on the STW-1000 - as is the case design. What I really love about this watch are the huge digits - larger than on almost any G. And the buttons are a pure joy to use - offering just the right amount of resistance without being hard to press.

Interesting observation (which I already made on the W-S200) - the module is based on the 3215 of the GWX-5600:

The W-S220 (like most of the cheaper Casio models) is "Made in China" btw. so far all my "Made in China" Casios have been of great quality and have also been running very accurately.

The acrylic crystal is very well protected by the ridges of the bezel:

Illumination duration can be adjusted between 1.5 and 3 seconds - the watch uses an LED in the lower left corner (I wish it had been two - one on each side - like on the SGW-300) - not everybody likes the LED-illumination, but the advantage is that the power reserve of the watch is 11 months on one full charge. The amber LED is also not too bright so it doesn't harm night-vision. The watch has no auto-EL but I almost never use that feature anyway.
    So a little summary of what I like about this nice and cheap timepiece (MSRP in Germany 54€ - which I happily paid - importing from Hong-Kong would have saved a few bucks but I wanted it NOW .

pros:
    - big and easy to use buttons
    - current time in timer, STW and alarm-mode
    - solar
    - size
    - features in general
    - huge digits

cons:
    - acrylic crystal scratches easily - BUT scratches can also be easily removed
    - plastic buckle - exchanged it for a steel one
    - alarm is not as loud as on the little brother W-S200 - but still fairly good

So I think this will stay right on top of the rotation for probably a long time. It does get a "strong buy" from me .

cheers, Sedi

Attachment 0
    Liknus likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: Another "G honorary" ^-^ Casio W-S220 review

Hi Sedi,

Thanks for the reviews. I now planning the get one soon too, the 9V model really caught my interest. It is a worth upgrade over the W-S200H.

This what I called a true "G-honorary". Casio if you here, please produce this awesome model in G-Shock Model.

cheers,

yschow
    Current Collections (G-Shock, Protrek & Others)
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/members/yschow/albums/

*Wish List: ​Completed

Yes, the all black version with the gold display was the one I wanted to get. But this one looks also nice. Maybe I'm gonna get the other one, too .

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nicely done. Mine (also new) says hello!

Great review! Like I've said before, for me I think its a little overpriced in EU right now... for 54€ I can easily buy an G7900 or an G5500 from Amazon, just examples that have a little more refinement to justify the G-Shock branding.

Overall is a good spec watch, the dual timers are good but just 1H is a no go for me, however they have auto-repeat which is a feature on most Timex Ironman that I miss in almost all Casios.

Enjoy it!
    | Citizen Eco-Drive CA0361-04A |
    | Seiko Sportura Ana-Digi SNJ019P |
    | Casio G-Shock G-5500TS-8ER |
    | Swatch Irony Chronograph Blue Aluminium YCN4000AG
    Golf |
    | Timex Ironman 30 lap Shock T5K434 |

Thanks!
    The timers are 99min not 60 - so far it has been long enough for anything I used it for - and you got the auto-repeat with the number of repeats indicated - so it can run for 10 X 2 X 99min, so all in all it runs for more than 24 hrs.
    I know about the G-5500 for 50€ - and I'm probably gonna get one, but the module of the G-5500 is very basic - the W-S220 is much better in that aspect. I already have a G-7900 (bought it for 40€ in fact - BNIB). Considering "refinement" - the build quality of the W-S220 is very good - can't find any flaws. Button operation is perfect - I remember on my GW-9200MS the light button had almost no resistance when pressing it. So the only thing that's missing is the 200m rating, a mineral crystal and a removeable bezel (you could argue if that's really better - after all the W-S220 won't suffer from resin rot).

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Thanks!
    The timers are 99min not 60 - so far it has been long enough for anything I used it for - and you got the auto-repeat with the number of repeats indicated - so it can run for 10 X 2 X 99min, so all in all it runs for more than 24 hrs.
    I know about the G-5500 for 50€ - and I'm probably gonna get one, but the module of the G-5500 is very basic - the W-S220 is much better in that aspect. I already have a G-7900 (bought it for 40€ in fact - BNIB). Considering "refinement" - the build quality of the W-S220 is very good - can't find any flaws. Button operation is perfect - I remember on my GW-9200MS the light button had almost no resistance when pressing it. So the only thing that's missing is the 200m rating, a mineral crystal and a removeable bezel (you could argue if that's really better - after all the W-S220 won't suffer from resin rot).

cheers, Sedi
    It's workable with the auto repeat on the timers, but you should notice that the timer will sound every <= 100mins, so it will work but it's not the best solution.

Golf |

Quote Originally Posted by Audigy View Post
    It's workable with the auto repeat on the timers, but you should notice that the timer will sound every <= 100mins, so it will work but it's not the best solution.
    Looks like I can't convince you of the qualities of this model . Sure - if it had two 24hr timers it might be better - or the double 99hr timer of the G-77XX models, but on those the repeat function is limited to 5 repetitions and the number of repeats is not indicated. I like the timer of the W-S220 for training. But in fact I think there is no single countdown timer feature that covers everything. The G-7900 for instance (and a few other models) has a 24 hr timer with auto-repeat - but it's not setable to the second - so if you're doing intervall training for let's say 30 seconds you have to use a trick - the progress beeper which beeps when the timer reaches -30 sec. On some models there is no repeat and no progress beeper - so they're pretty much useless for sport even if they run for 24 hrs. Well, that's the nice thing with Casio - there certainly is the right watch for everybody somewhere in their line-up but there is no single watch that could claim to be "the perfect Casio" for everybody . For me the W-S220 comes pretty close to being the perfect digital watch.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Don't get me wrong Sedi, I like it, just not enought to buy it

About the timer(the feature that I use most in a watch), the one in my Ironman is so far in any digital watch I've tried, the best that suits my needs, an no other so far could reach it.

Up to 24hr with second adjustment and with unlimited autorepeats. I can even make an daily alarm out of it.

I've considered the G7700 in the past, but only 5 autorepeats made me search for other options. The G7900 is a good one though, but I don't like the screws and the design of it.

bezgeo85 likes this.
    Golf |

Having run for the past week with this W-S220 or its atomic big brother the STW-1000, I can really think of only two additional features I'd like:

1. I'm using the interval timers a lot right now during my running sessions -- as I slowly work at building up both speed and stamina. My iPod is essentially surgically attached to my ears when I run, so I cannot hear the alert that beeps when one interval ends and the next begins. It would be great if the watch could be set to vibrate when an interval ends. I bet many runners and others who do interval training would love a feature like that.

2. I agree that a separate 24 hour timer -- in addition to the interval timers -- would be very nice. There are many things I use a timer for when I'm not running and that would help make the W-S220 a good choice for daily wear -- off the road as well as on.

All in all, though, as I said in my own little post on the W-S220, this is a hell of a lot of watch for U.S.$36!

Piowa likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information