Another negative display frog mod

Thread: Another negative display frog mod

Another negative display frog mod

I made one of these mods before, but it didn't turn out so well. I am sick today with a headcold, so I decided I'd spend a little time and make another. I took my MIRB frogman, which is now in the GW-200Z Final Frogman case, and replaced the LCD with a spare Final Frogman LCD I had, and made the Final Frogman LCD negative. I also stealthed off the letters from the solar panel with acetone because I like it better without them.

Looks terribly dim no matter how I angled the polarizing film, but the backlight looks nice!

I'm going to swich it back to the MIRB LCD in the future, but keep it in the Final Frogman case (I am using that case for my "Ultimate Frog" stealthed master blue clone)

Something about the Frogman LCD that makes a negative very hard to read. Maybe because the numbers are small, or because it is recessed. I was using professional grade LCD polarizing film with minimal tint.

Re: Another negative display frog mod

You did think of removing the old polarizer on the LCD, did you? Because I remember someone doing a mod without removing it which basically makes the digits almost invisible. Here's an old modded Frogman I sold long ago:

It was also very dim as you can see. That's the reason why on the older negative display models or also on some of the new ones like the DW-5600MS or DW-6900MS the digits are thicker so more light can hit the LCD for increased contrast. Worst negative LCD I ever saw was the GWX-5600-7 (glossy white).
    I really like the stealthed solar panel!

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Very cool. Special Ops mode.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice job.

Let me know when your getting another head-cold, I'll send you one of my "G's" to Mod! I like it.

Okay, so I switch it back to positive, but kept the silver (Final Frog) LCD. I didn't like the look of the bronze eye of the MIRB with the silver LCD, so I tried to see if I could stealth it too. It's possible, it turns out. The eye is underneath the glass of the solar assembly, so I carefully took the solar assembly apart and used an acetone soaked q-tip to remove the pigment and numbers from the eye. Now it is silver, to match the LCD.

I put it back together, but I am wondering.... what if I had painted the eye? While the solar assembly was disassembled, I could have spray painted the piece that has the eye. When it was put back together, only the color on the eye would be visible. What do you think, should I do it? I could do any color.... red, blue, fluorescent yellow, black... What would look good?

yellow or red would look neat on the eye

The EL pic of the neg version was very cool looking. Did you take a pic of it without the EL on? With the positive display, maybe try painting the "eye" a gun metal grey color to match the band and case?
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thread Information