Another new arrival. Or should that be six new arrivals!
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Another new arrival. Or should that be six new arrivals!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another new arrival. Or should that be six new arrivals!

Well you know how it is, you are just browsing around when you see something that you think is a heck of a bargain. I saw this for sale and thought I would put a cheeky bid in. I wasn't desperate to get it but I can't resist a good deal.

Well I won the auction for a ludicrous price for what are six NOS watches.

Here is what arrived.

As you can see they are box sets of FIFA World Cup 98 G Shocks. These models were only ever issued in these sets and were not available as separate watches..

They were not cheap to buy on issue, running at 70,000 yen for the 'G's and 50000 yen for the Baby Gs plus tax.

However, this is the thing with buying things as a collectors item and then putting them away assuming you will not be losing any money and potentially making some. Quite often it does not work out that way.

This is especially true of these sets because of the packaging etc, it is pretty clear that most people who bought would treat them as collectors pieces and leave them unworn. Therefore, even though they were a quite limited edition, there are quite a number about in NOS condition which tends to depress the price. That is certainly true of the 'G' box set. The Baby G set seems quite rare and I don't recall ever seeing it before.

So instead of making money, I picked up both sets for less than 15% of their original price, which is a fantastic price for me but not for the seller. They normally make much more than this actually but you get what I mean. Someone has the 'G' box set for sale on WUS currently for $1000. Something tells me he will have a long wait!

They are nice watches and I do have a soft spot for FIFA World Cup watches and already have quite a number and these make a very nice addition to the collection.

I have now replaced the batteries in the 'G's. I will post about the 'G's first and will follow up with the Babys later.

The star of the 'G'show is the G-WCUP98-B, which is actually a G-9600. These watches are fantastic quality G Shocks and really fly under the radar. They have very well finished Titanium screwback cases with a decent module as well.

Look at case and how highly polished it is even under the bezel. The top of the case is a lovely polished rich blue colour which contrasts very nicely with the pale blue resin. What would Casio be charging if they produced a G shock with a similar quality Ti case today?

The module is quite nice. The 'eye' shows which mode you are in. It has memo mode for up to thirty records. It has five multi-function alarms which can be set by date etc etc, also hourly signal. It has a 24hr stopwatch as well as a 24hr countdown timer, which can be set to the second and which can also auto repeat. It has an auto EL light and that unusual function, Auto Display, which scrolls through all available functions. It has the auto return function, which I know a lot of members prefer.

The strap is quite nice with a mix of ordinary an jelly resin and with the 'G; motif printed in a couple of places. The adapters mean you could use a variety of straps, removing them would allow you to fit a further wide variety of 'G' straps if you had a mind to.

One thing that these watches prove is that jelly resin does not yellow if kept away from the sun. The jelly on these watches is completely unblemished.

Here are a few wrist shots of the lovely blue.

I think the blue WCUP98 is absolutely stunning and is worth the price I paid for the whole package. It shows that fresh jelly can really look the business especially when combined with this blue plated highly polished Ti case.

Am I pleased? I certainly am.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; August 22nd, 2013 at 23:12.

Re: Another new arrival. Or should that be six new arrivals!

Hey Mitch!
    Green with envy doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling right now. ; )

Good for you man........ what a freaking haul................. wow.................. wow.............................wow
    Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

LUW

Holy mercaptans Batman, six in one swoop?!? Is that a record?
    They all look terrific, but with all that white and jelly resin at least for me they would have to stay as collection queens (but would look great in any collection, IMO). And yes, that 9600 looks fantastic! Pity it doesn't come in regular resin.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Hey Mitch!
    Green with envy doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling right now. ; )

Good for you man........ what a freaking haul................. wow.................. wow.............................wow
    Cheers Gawain.

Yes I am made up given that I am a big fan of FIFA models.

I must say though that the blue is the absolute dogs!

I am not normally a fan of light clear jellies, though I like the red and dark blue jellies. This one looks great though, the interplay with the light and the polished blue case makes it look fantastic on the wrist.

I knew about these G-9600s and always fancied one for the great Ti case. However the models are all jelly and all the ones I have seen before have been yellowing to some degree which I don't care for.

This is a very pleasant surprise.

Mitch

I think the red jelly is friggin cool...what model is that..?? Pardon my ignorance...such collectibles...and you scoop all 6 of them just like that, like in a snap of a finger. Holy.
    Name:  1282786204310.jpeg
Views: 578
Size:  17.4 KB
    My Current Beater:
    Casio G-Shock: GW-2310FB-1CR

-=[My Pelican 1495; Home for my Gs]=-

I love the blue 9600 most !!! but the other 2 are equally awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Cognac0113 View Post
    I think the red jelly is friggin cool...what model is that..?? Pardon my ignorance...such collectibles...and you scoop all 6 of them just like that, like in a snap of a finger. Holy.

As I said these models were only available in this set but the Red and White ones are based on the DW-004 I believe.

The red jelly one is rather nice actually, then again I am fond of red jelly.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; August 22nd, 2013 at 22:54.
    Cognac0113 and etejut like this.

Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness.
    My Current Beater:
    Casio G-Shock: GW-2310FB-1CR

-=[My Pelican 1495; Home for my Gs]=-

Yep, it is awesome, that titanium screwback. I was praising it a couple years ago (or rather, the wccs version of the same watch) and no one seemed to care. Now people appreciate titanium since casio is charging so much for their limited titanium pieces!

Beautiful!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information