Antman Mod (negative display conversion plus bezel mod)
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Antman Mod (negative display conversion plus bezel mod)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antman Mod (negative display conversion plus bezel mod)

So, I have an Antman. It looked like this:

Name:  IMG_2486.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  140.7 KB

Yesterday, some polarising film arrived in the post from a very kind fellow forum user (big thanks to lowtech! ). So, today I took my Antman apart and removed the native film, then replaced it with some of the film from lowtech, orientated at the right angle to produce a negative display, which now looks like this:

Name:  IMG_3108.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  171.9 KB

In addition to changing the display, I wanted to make this little plastic bezel insert black:

Name:  IMG_3100.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  88.1 KB

...but upon being dunked in hot RIT dye, the thing melted.

So, I nipped off to ebay and picked up some Milliput Black 2 Part Epoxy Putty, which I suppose will arrive in a few days. The plan is to plug the gap in the bezel with this black epoxy putty, which if I do it well, might even look better than the original (to be honest, the only thing I never liked about my Antman was the gold bezel insert. ...Not just because of the colour, but because it was an obviously fake antenna, which frankly wouldn't convince anyone who has ever dabbled with radios before).

Tomorrow I'm going to visit a local modelling shop and buy some black enamel paint for the G in the light button, and for the red writing on the top of the bezel.

I've also removed the chrome strap plates, just to make the watch as stealthy as possible (although I may put those back later ...not sure yet).

More pics to come when the project is complete...

Re: Antman Mod (negative display conversion plus bezel mod)

so far, the negative face looks awesome like some of the current models
    G-Shock Absorber likes this.

Hey, not bad! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

G-Shock Absorber likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That polarization film is of far more use on your LCD than in my desk drawer.
    One mmore member pushed into the downward spiral of modding Gs.... Hehehe

wow...nice mod on the display. I'm really anticipating what this thing will look like after you mess w/ the putty and black out the bezel.

Thanks for the heartening responses guys. Rubbing my hands together with glee in anticipation of the putty arriving.

As of today, project 'stealthy Antman' has the following mods completed:

1. Negative display conversion
    2. G button painted black (was red)
    3. G-Shock lettering on bezel painted black (was red)
    4. Steel strap joint covers removed to increase overall blackness
    5. Chapter ring (under bezel) painted black (was grey)

Only the black putty has to be used to plug the gap in the bezel, and it will be complete.

Looks like this right now...

Name:  IMG_3128.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  446.3 KB
    godizded likes this.

Dude, that is awesome!

Brave Rifles! Veterans!

that IS awesome!...wow. How did you paint the g-button black? (what kind of paint, and how actually did you paint it?...it looks really nice an even)

Also...I really need to learn how to mod my displays to negative, I have at least a handful of watches I wish to do that to.

Quote Originally Posted by furrotik View Post
    Dude, that is awesome!
    Actually it looks even better in the flesh (I think).

Flash photography is really its worst enemy. I'll try to get some good outdoor pics today if the sun comes out (it's grey and overcast right now though).

Quote Originally Posted by WillyLix View Post
    that IS awesome!...wow.

How did you paint the g-button black? (what kind of paint, and how actually did you paint it?...it looks really nice and even)
    I went to one of those shops for people who are into +5 blessed rustproof dragon scalemail, where a nice man sold me a small pot of acrylic paint. Just now I did a search to see if it's also available on ebay (cuz that lets me be lazy and give you a link rather than having to take a pic of it myself ).

Aaaaaaand... --> WARHAMMER CITADEL BASE ABADDON BLACK | eBay <--

So, along with the paint, I bought the smallest size brush from the modelling shop and then went to another local place to buy a really helpful tool for steadying the hand during paint jobs. I'm trying to remember the name now... Um... It was called... ...beer.

So, I sat in this bar which was nearly empty as it was twelve noon (opening time), and I put some paper napkins on a table and started to paint. Although I went over the edges a few times, I just used my fingernail to scrape away the excess paint once it was semi-dry.

Acrylic paint isn't very hard-wearing, but it's ok cuz the G in the button and the G-Shock lettering are both recessed, so the paint has a place to pool and sit free from heavy abrasion (in a similar way that the proud lip of the bezel protects the glass when you scrape your watch against something).

Also...I really need to learn how to mod my displays to negative, I have at least a handful of watches I wish to do that to.
    You can search for a guide to that in this forum, although the short version is this: Open the watch. Take out the module. Get the blade of a knife under the polarising film on the display and lift it off. Replace with new polarising film orientated at the necessary angle to give you a negative display. Reassemble.

I remember reading here about the importance of spending a bit of time cleaning the old display to make sure it's free of sticky residue from the old film, although I found (luckily) that the old film came away without leaving any mess behind. Of course you have to cut the new polarising film to shape, though don't worry about it not being sticky, because there's normally a little recess behind the glass, the same shape as the module, so you can let the new film rest there.

Love it. Seriously. I can see having a ton of fun with some of the cool "positive only" display g's.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information