Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any DB-36/360 owners here?

Hi,
    I'm currently contemplating another purchase and here's what I want:
    - current time in timer and stopwatch mode
    - 4 alarms + snooze
    - 24 hr timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch

Since this is a rare combination in any G-Shock (except some ana-digis and the Riseman) I looked outside the G-Shock range and stumbled upon the DB-36 "Databank" Casio. The features kind of knocked me off my feet:
    - 24 hr timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - current time in all modes except in databank mode (which I won't use anyway)
    - 5 alarms setable for date and month ("alm 1" setable as one-time or snooze)
    - powered by a CR-2025
    - only downside - almost no water resistance (5 bar)
    - really cheap (20-25€)
    - module 2515
    edit: studying the manual and it gets better and better - it even has a "quick return" feature (like on the DW-5600E or DW-6900)

Now my hope is that somebody here has one because from the pics it looks really kind of "cheap" (well it is cheap ) but still the features are so damn good I might get one anyway. There are also two version - one in black (DW-36) and one in silver/metallic (DB-360) - while I like the black one more tshe silver one looks like it has steel buttons. So if anybody has one and maybe also has some real-life pics - please share your experience and let me know if it's worth the 20 bucks and if it will even reach the life-span of it's battery .
    (btw: the forum search found absolutely nothing about this model)

edit: there's also a funky looking gold version: DB-360GN

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; December 29th, 2010 at 23:37.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: Any DB-36/360 owners here?

Sedi,

I've owned the DB36 several times. Here in the US it can be found at Walmart for $16. As your post stated the watch has great features, but it looks cheap, the crystal is acrylic and a scratch magnet, the band is thin . I thought the module was very dark, I would compare it to a DW5600E module in terms of darkness. You can access a second time zone by pushing the right front button. For $20 it's a fun watch.

Here's a poor picture:

Last edited by twincity; December 30th, 2010 at 00:25.

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. With "dark" you mean the contrast I assume? Did you own several because it breaks easily or because you sold it/gave it away? It's too bad Casio didn't put this great module in a more sturdy case - the features are better than on most G-Shocks. The only G-Shock with similar features is the Riseman and I had two of those and sold them both, so I don't know if I'll get another. The 10-year-battery is also interesting. I already have a few watches that have at least some of the features I want - but none has the complete set - mostly the snooze is missing on the ones that show time in every mode (AE-1000W, SGW-300) or there are fewer alarms (G-8000).

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

hi sedi,

5 bar is equal to 50 meters, which is way more than you will ever need. you are way to educated to believe in the "shower only" marketing nonsense aren't you? I wouldn't hesitate to bring that watch for a recreational dive.

the only downside for me is the LED illumination on this one, you know my animosity about it

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Yes by dark I did mean the contrast. After a few days I returned the watches because they looked and felt cheap. And I didn't like the "dark module. I did post my picture in my first post.

Yes, I think the 5 bar would be enough . Considering the LED - well it's a whole different story on an all-digital (compared to an ana-digi) I think. I even found some pics of the LED illumination - it's no too bad i think:

c) http://en.item.rakuten.com

It does light up the whole display - looks better than on my AE-1000W.
    I'm more afraid about the overall build quality. But considering the price I think I'll go for it anyway .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by twincity View Post
    Yes by dark I did mean the contrast. After a few days I returned the watches because they looked and felt cheap. And I didn't like the "dark module. I did post my picture in my first post.
    Thanks a lot - I think the contrast is good enough but I can see what you mean. I wonder if it feels cheaper than my AE-1000W which I like quite a lot. I think I'd have to check if they have it in a brick and mortar store in Bamberg to get a better idea. But the feature set makes it pretty desirable . I wonder if anybody tried the "steel" version - it looks like the front buttons are just chromed plastic - best to stick with the standard version I guess .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

okay, I admit it looks pretty good for an LED, might check it out as well (not that I'm in need of a watch )

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    okay, I admit it looks pretty good for an LED, might check it out as well (not that I'm in need of a watch )

cheers
    I think they have it in the local "Karstadt" - might as well check it out tomorrow to see how cheap it looks in person - if it's anyway near my other "cheapos" (AE-1000W, W-S200) then I'll get one.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

There are a lot of reviews on Amazon.com, which is where I've looked at this one before.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information