Are any of the Gs thermal compensated for accuracy?

Thread: Are any of the Gs thermal compensated for accuracy?

Are any of the Gs thermal compensated for accuracy?

Just curious if this is known or not. Newer Casios including my new Ge-500a are +/-15 sec per month with no waveceptor.

Interestingly enough, my waveceptor in eastern ontaio, canada is usless no matter how much I tried I can't get it to sync. It still amazes me that it did not loose or gain second sice I had it (11 days now) last time reception sygnal was sucess in mid jan. So I'm safe to assume that it did not loose a single second in almost a month. Impressive... hence my question if it's perhaps known if Casio is doing some form or thermal compesation on their watches (in a nutshell measuring temp of the crystal to compensate for variations in "ticks" that create "one second" - this is basic source of error in all digital watches)

How accurate are you finding your Gs with no waveceptor technology?

Re: Are any of the Gs thermal compensated for accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c
    Just curious if this is known or not. Newer Casios including my new Ge-500a are +/-15 sec per month with no waveceptor.

Interestingly enough, my waveceptor in eastern ontaio, canada is usless no matter how much I tried I can't get it to sync. It still amazes me that it did not loose or gain second sice I had it (11 days now) last time reception sygnal was sucess in mid jan. So I'm safe to assume that it did not loose a single second in almost a month. Impressive... hence my question if it's perhaps known if Casio is doing some form or thermal compesation on their watches (in a nutshell measuring temp of the crystal to compensate for variations in "ticks" that create "one second" - this is basic source of error in all digital watches)

How accurate are you finding your Gs with no waveceptor technology?
    Just speaking from personal experience. My MIS Raysman appears to be faster than normal time. It hasn't been much but it's gained half a second each month since I set the time back in January. I work in law enforcement so we need credible time-keeping and I have to go by the offical time at work as the universal time to go by so I use that as the means to measure my watches. My G-Viper (G2310) on the other hand has not budged from the time that I set also back in November '05. So there could be variances depending on models or even by individual watches.. who knows?

Locomoco.

This is precisely what promted me to ask the question. I'm personaly in a line of work where we have official time but I'm billed by the second, one second late and they take if off my next paychecque. So naturally I'm sensitive to the issue. From what I've understand from your post you and me have both experienced the apparent insane accuracy in what is generaly preceved as "cheap digital watch".

Think about it, haf a second per month = 6 seconds per year. I'm not sure if you're aware or not but watches that claim this kind of accuracy costs literary 1000s of dollars (Citizen has one with claimed accuracy of +/- 5 sec per year, Omega had one long time ago, I beleve that even Seiko at lteast had one like that).

I wonder if this kind of accuracy that we've seen in Gs is possible with no termal compensation.

Curious to see what other people experiences are.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Are any of the Gs thermal compensated for accuracy?

Hi Duke,

THere are no temp compensated timecontrol G-Shock's. I think this would make these watches not affordable any more... But there are temperature compensated G-Shock's and Pro-Treks.... These are the sensor models with at least a thermometer and a barometer on board. A barometer sensor is temperature dependent and so must be compensated constantly for temperature changes. An Altimeter is a function of the barometer and is therefore also temperature compensated. I think the quartz frequency fluctuations caused by temperature under normal circumstances is hardly effected by temperature changes,

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi Duke,

..But there are temperature compensated G-Shock's and Pro-Treks.... These are the sensor models with at least a thermometer and a barometer on board. A barometer sensor is temperature dependent and so must be compensated constantly for temperature changes....
    Sjors
    Actually presence of a temperature sensor does not indicate thermocompensation (which is MUCH more complex). Very few high end watches are thermo-comp (Brietling, one or two Longines, a couple of Seikos). The apparent best thermo comp does not even use a sensor, it uses two quartz crystals of different rates (which respond to temperature along different curves) and corrects based on the difference in beat between them.

There was an excellent detailed explanation as a sticky note in the High End Quartz forum before the crash ... hopefully it will be restored soon.

Hi Cesium,

Well, good to see you survived the crash. It's an interesting feature, two crystals with different temperature curves. Somehow that could mean you can use that feature also for accurate temperature measurement too! Love to read that sticky. I hope it will recover next week...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Sjors your answer is much appriciated.

Considering the observed accuacy I was just worndering since I had no better explanation how come they're so accurate.

I happen to have Fossil and Timex (both digital watches with analog hands) and those collect second within couple of days well in line of 30 sec per month. Not so with Casios, they're WAY more accurate than that.

There has to be a trick to it, or different quartz technology. Not sure what it is but accuracy of my G over the little time I had it still impresses me.

How are you finding accuracy of watches in your collection? Especially those that are no waveceptors?

Thread Information