Any phosphorescent watch?

Thread: Any phosphorescent watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any phosphorescent watch?

Hi,
    Do you know any any phosphorescent watch? Thanks in advance.

Re: Any phosphorescent watch?

What exactly do you mean? The hands? The watch itself (i.e. strap, case)?
    Does it have to be phosphorescent, or should it just light up in the dark (meaning that SuperLuminova as luminous material is ok too)?
    Cheers,
    Micha

Suspended

Does it have to be a G Shock?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/luminescence.html

What's the difference between luminescence, fluorescence, and phosphorescence?

When we talk about "luminous" watches and paint, what we really mean is phosphorescence, which is very similar to fluorescence: the process by which energy-saving lamps make light.

Fluorescent materials produce light instantly, when the atoms inside them absorb energy and become "excited." When the atoms return to normal, in as little as a hundred thousandth of a second, they give out the energy that excited them as tiny particles of light called photons. Shine ultraviolet (UV) light on a stolen TV or camera and you might find someone's address shining back at you, written in invisible ink. The ink is made of fluorescent chemicals that absorb energy from the UV light, become excited, and then give out the energy as photons of visible light. Switch off the UV light and the ink disappears again. You can read more about how atoms make light in the feature box in our article on light.

Phosphorescent materials work in much the same way as fluorescent ones, except that there's a delay between them absorbing energy and giving out light. Sometimes phosphorescence lasts for a few seconds after the stimulating energy has been removed; sometimes—as in luminous watches—it lasts for hours. You've probably noticed that it takes a bit of time to "charge up" a luminous watch with energy before it glows. You might have also noticed that a luminous watch shines most in the early part of the night. By the time dawn breaks, it's typically run out of energy and stopped glowing. That should come as no real surprise. A watch can't make light out of nothing at all without violating one of the most basic laws of physics—the conservation of energy.

Question Re: Any phosphorescent watch?

A G-Shock with "glow-in-the-dark" resin would be cool.

Has there ever been one?

Hi,
    I don't think there ever was a G with 'glowing' resin but there was one with a completely luminous dial. Can't remember the model number though .

edit: it was an AW-560 - Sjors has one on G-people-land:
    http://www.g-peopleland.com/
    under 'basic models'.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I think that glowing resin would be expensive to produce and not very healthy for constant wear

But it should be relatively easy to place a layer of lume under LCD screen. I don't know why doesn't some manufacturer do just that instead of electric backlight?

Well there is no lume under the LCD but many G-Shocks glow a bit even after the EL tuned off again - especially good to see on the ones with bright EL like the DW-6600 for instance. However this 'afterglow' ain't bright enough to read the time.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Question Re: Any phosphorescent watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I don't think there ever was a G with 'glowing' resin....
    The resin buttons on the remote control for my TV glow in the dark so I assume it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
    The resin buttons on the remote control for my TV glow in the dark so I assume it is possible.

It's surely possible and I also think it's a pretty cool idea . It just hasn't been done so far. Maybe because when not glowing it has this ugly light-green color .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information