Anybody amazed how dirty the folds on the band on the side of the 5600 get?

Thread: Anybody amazed how dirty the folds on the band on the side of the 5600 get?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Anybody amazed how dirty the folds on the band on the side of the 5600 get?

I clean it in the shower with soap and water every so often, and it still gets dirty with white scummy stuff literally the next day.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Re: Anybody amazed how dirty the folds on the band on the side of the 5600 get?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    I clean it in the shower with soap and water every so often, and it still gets dirty with white scummy stuff literally the next day.

that's becauase it's soap residue. try not to use bar soap or if you must, try liquid dish soap.

Quote Originally Posted by chonga View Post
    that's becauase it's soap residue. try not to use bar soap or if you must, try liquid dish soap.
    liquid dish soap is much too harsh for regular use. liquid hand soap is what i would recommend.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Okay my friend, here's what to do. Simply go to your nearest Megastore and buy a Sonic Toothbrush, then simply put a slight amount of any Eco Friendly dishwashing soap, and clean your baby. Then rinse with warm water, not cold, and dry with a lint free rag. That's what I use for all my watches, and it works also for metal bracelets, etc.
    JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BRUSH YOUR TEETH WITH THE SAME HEAD, LOL. Hope this helps.

I used to get lots gunk on my watch that was when I had one or 2 watches and my DW5700 was worn every day and I worked construction. Now I have several watches to rotate through, have a desk / vehicle job much cleaner environment. I use a little dab of hand soap to wash off my watches and dry them when I think I got them dirty. I think keeping the resin clean will help it last longer. I also try not to leave any in direct sunlight.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by eonianaerial View Post
    liquid dish soap is much too harsh for regular use. liquid hand soap is what i would recommend.
    Lucky me then! I just bought a bottle of hand soap (knowing that bar soap would leave a residue), but I do not know what is the difference between dish soap and hand soap. Can you explain?
    When the Going Gets Tough... Get a G-Shock!

My friend, the difference is on the chemicals used. I suggest a clear, Eco Friendly soap, it's more gentle on the resin bezel, and band for that matter. If you bought a bottle of another soap, well, use it for all around the house business.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow1962 View Post
    My friend, the difference is on the chemicals used. I suggest a clear, Eco Friendly soap, it's more gentle on the resin bezel, and band for that matter. If you bought a bottle of another soap, well, use it for all around the house business.
    Well, I was afraid someone would come in and say "dish soap is for dishes, hand soap is for hands" LOL... thanks for not doing that!

(btw I missed your first post)

Hmmm. I have not seen any 'eco-friendly' soap around here. Sometimes it is difficult to identify the different types of products with all the marketing lingo on the packaging. I will try.

By sonic toothbrush are you referring to those that cleans with negative ions or those that have rotating bristles?

Thanks

Edit: Still, I hope to know what are the effects on resin caused by the difference in chemicals of various types of soaps.
    Last edited by Cockpit; March 5th, 2010 at 18:30. Reason: Additional thoughts.

Another thing: The instruction manual says to keep it away from water and humidity. What are your views on this? Better to wash often, or not?

And another thing: I read in another thread that you can apply something on the resin to protect it from UV and slow resin rot, any idea what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockpit View Post
    Another thing: The instruction manual says to keep it away from water and humidity. What are your views on this? Better to wash often, or not?

And another thing: I read in another thread that you can apply something on the resin to protect it from UV and slow resin rot, any idea what it is?

Protectant 303 or Vinylex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information