Anybody seen the SGW-400 yet?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anybody seen the SGW-400 yet?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anybody seen the SGW-400 yet?

Hi,
    yesterday I stumbled across a new model on the German Casio homepage which I hadn't seen before - the SGW-400: obviously the successor of the SGW-300 - same features but ana-digi and - maybe best of all: EL on the LCDs! Many people have been complaining about the LED-illumination on newer ana-digis - this one seems to solve that problem. And there's a black/orange version that looks a bit like a vintage ARW-320 - which was one of the first Casios I ever wanted to buy but didn't have the money at that time. Lucky me - now I can get this one instead:
    SGW-400H-1B2VER - CASIO Collection - Uhren - Produkte - CASIO
    So this is now one of the few Casio ana-digis with the following specs:
    - 24 hr timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - 5 alarms
    Many Casio ana-digis lack one of those - either having just 60 min timer/STW or just one alarm - if I'm not completely wrong I think the AQ-190/GA-100 were the first ana-digi Casios with 5 alarms and longer stopwatch/timer duration. There are a few ana-digis with 100hr timer/STW but those have only one alarm.
    It also has a CR2016 battery - not that ridiculously small CR1220 of the GA-100/110. Should be good for at least 3 years - even with the extra alti/baro functions.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Anybody seen the SGW-400 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Hi,
    yesterday I stumbled across a new model on the German Casio homepage which I hadn't seen before - the SGW-400: obviously the successor of the SGW-300 - same features but ana-digi and - maybe best of all: EL on the LCDs! Many people have been complaining about the LED-illumination on newer ana-digis - this one seems to solve that problem.
    Sedi,

I wish you were right, but I'm afraid you are wrong:
    LED Light Damit man auch in dunkler Umgebung alles im Blick hat, wird die Anzeige der Uhr auf Knopfdruck von einer Leuchtdiode erhellt.
    Or did I miss something?

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

The manual says EL
    http://www.casio-europe.com/de/downl...tch/5176_G.pdf
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw5176.pdf
    to be honest - I didn't even read the short description on the homepage - just looked at the pics and read the manual. I sure hope the manual is right - those descriptions did have mistakes before (but I also found mistakes in the PDF-manuals - the German manual for the SGW-100 claims it has a 24 hr stopwatch - the English version says it's 60 min) - to this day the G-Shock homepage (g-shock.eu ) claims that the GW-9010 has an LED-flasher.

edit: this seller has a catalogue scan in the description which also says "EL-illumination":
    2011 Casio Watch Twin Sensor SGW-400H-1/1B SGW-400 100M - eBay (item 250775818175 end time Mar-20-11 10:42:25 PDT)
    but it also says : "EL: white" - I never heard of white EL-illumination - damn now I'm confused - I guess I have to get one just to find out.

edit: even Casio Japan says it's EL - so I hope they knew what they were writing:
    SGW-400H-1B2JF -
    To me it looks like a strong buy .

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; March 7th, 2011 at 02:38.
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The price is really interesting... the one with the orange applications is listed with € 89 at amazon. Half the price you have to pay for a Riseman (Ok the Riseman is WR up to 200m and it has the typical G-Shock feature).
    My watches:
    Sinn 104 St Sa A | Casio CBX-1000 | Casio WV-M120 | Junghans Mega1 | Junghans Olympic

I think I'll get one from ebay - seller "ivshc" from Hong-Kong has one for 52€ - add taxes and you got around 60€ shipped - I think that's a great price.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Inactive

I was impressed when I saw this wathc today on Casios site - however, I'm not a fan of the quite limited baro graph and the lack of alti logging. So I'll most likely steer clear of this... I'd also prefer the analog hands wasnt the skeleton type... But then again, they would then be more likely to cover the displays...

Well, that's just my thoughts - I hope you like it, when you get one

Yes, there's no logging and the alti-baro features are really very basic. But I like it for the other features like 24 hr STW/CDT, 5 alarms, EL (if it really has one). So if logging and more sophisticated alti/baro features are important I think this is probably not the right watch - but the old-school looks and time-keeping features are great!

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    ...But I like it for the other features like 24 hr STW/CDT, 5 alarms, EL (if it really has one) ..... but the old-school looks and time-keeping features are great!
    Agreed ! And it's nice with the choise of 1/3 sec light duration. LED or EL? Well, I happens to have a Casio with very nice LED, so even if it's LED, it might be good.

I have a Riseman, but readibility s.... and in the long run, the display proved being too busy and cramped. Buttens are hard to access too. Tried selling it for half the price of a new one (compared to buying at a local internetshop), but no one was interested. No scratches and still one year guarantee. Geee....

Anyway, bought a T-Touch Expert some days ago, and it's way above Casio in terms of readibility, look (to my eyes), ease of use and well thought out solutions. The T is my main watch, but I'd still like having a cheaper watch for beating on vacations.

So now I'm debating with myself if I should try selling the Riseman for a ridicolus price, and find an alternative - preferable analog

Sure, it's a luxury problem, but it's fun investigating.... And the SGW-400 could be the answer. At the moment, I'm also considering a PRG-240 and the semi-ancient PAG60-1AV, which I've seen at a good price at a local store. The PRW-5000/5100 would be nice too, but I wont shell out that much...
    Last edited by ThomAsio; March 8th, 2011 at 10:57.

If they would make the SGW-100 in the same color scheme as the SGW-400H, I would be very happy!
    Go Dortmund!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomAsio View Post
    the semi-ancient PAG60-1AV, which I've seen at a good price at a local store.
    Yes, that one's pretty cool - I think it's the only solar ana-digi with EL in the Casio Lineup - at least I never found another one so far.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information