Anyone any experience of Timex Ironman Shock Resistant watches?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone any experience of Timex Ironman Shock Resistant watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Anyone any experience of Timex Ironman Shock Resistant watches?

Hi all
    I found a Timex retailer the other night and despite myself I was struck by a wave of nostalgia which prompted this post. I was shocked to see the new product range is full of enormous, silly watches, including a new, ludicrously big recreation of their classic, metal-banded original Indiglo digital. You know the one where you flip out the strap-catcher to adjust it? Almost tempted to get one of them for pure reminiscence' sake! I think most of us have a soft spot for Timex, and I have owned a couple in the past- I got rid of one very basic analog model due to it's inability to avoid looking drunken as it crazily stopped and started round the dial. I had an Ironman about 10 years ago and it seemed to be absolutely fine, but I gave it to a friend after a couple of days as he was smitten by it and I wasn't. But the new Ironmans seem to warrant at least further research. Please note, I am not expecting full-on G-Shock quality and durability. I'm just wondering whether the membership reckon Timex these days make a decent watch which won't fall apart after a couple of years. Or am I best to try another model (say the Expedition range, which would allow the aftermarket NATO option?) or just stay away from a brand which has had it's time and was never actually up to much in the first place.

Any input is appreciated.

Steve I used Timex Ironman triathlon watches from the early to mid 90's until just last year. I loved them and they were pretty tough. But IMO they are a disposable watch because every single one I have had stopped running after a battery change. If you want to buy one for nostalgia sake go for it but I believe Timex makes them to where you have to purchase a new one every couple or three years.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Banned

Re: Anyone any experience of Timex Ironman Shock Resistant watches?

That is extremely worrying! Maybe I should get them to change the battery as soon as I have bought it, so the problem can be seen and I can get my money back. Surely they cannot be designed like this? I'd rather they were honest about it and gave me a totally sealed, 300m case with a ten year battery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is why I went to G Shocks. At first all I would buy was solar watches. Then once I changed the battery in a vintage G that I bought and saw that it continued to function properly, I didn't worry about buying a regular battery powered G Shock. I do still have a "soft spot" for Timex though and would pick one up in a heart beat if I thought it would last. I don't mean to bash them 'cause I love 'em but that is just my experience.

Banned

I don't doubt you. Just the wisdom of designing a watch like this. Did you change the battery yourself? I've heard there have been some isues in some Gs after battery changes. Needing a reset or something. Surely if you took it to a Timex AD and they changed the battery and you pointed out it was now dead, they'd have to do something?

I bought mine in 1995 or so and it is still running to this day, I changed the battery a month ago. Only problem is is that the hour hand is badly misaligned and will eventually be correct for a few days every other month. I got so mad at it that I threw it against the wall as hard as I could and it's still working and still wrong as ever in it's time keeping.
    09.ducati likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    I don't doubt you. Just the wisdom of designing a watch like this. Did you change the battery yourself? I've heard there have been some isues in some Gs after battery changes. Needing a reset or something. Surely if you took it to a Timex AD and they changed the battery and you pointed out it was now dead, they'd have to do something?
    Some I changed myself and others I took to various AD and/or jewelry stores with great reputations. The Gs I changed myself. And yes you do reset the module but it's easy. I'm not saying that Timex purposely designed the watches that way but I have wondered. Look at the light bulb. One could be made to last and last but if they did that, we wouldn't ever need any more bulbs. Just saying...

Banned

To Hexnxonx, that is at least a little more re-assuring, though one reason why I don't buy watches online and have a bloody good look at the individual piece I am considering, including second hand sweep, before I buy now. I've even asked for another example to look at then bought that one instead.

TO davehb2001, I believe you! Maybe I should stick to an analog model which has been assembled correctly.

Might throw this out to the PF a try if no-one minds.

I have and have had dozens of them. Love them! To me, they are not up to G standards, but they are plentiful, available and less expensive usually.

I have never had issues after a battery change.

Great features, tough watches and well priced.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Banned

Phew!
    At least this issue is not endemic.
    I have to be honest, I do want to be able to justify buying one, but need more positive feedback as I don't want to get one just for the sake of it.
    More comments please!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information