Anyone else going nuts trying to choose a G shock?
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Anyone else going nuts trying to choose a G shock?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anyone else going nuts trying to choose a G shock?

Hi, just wondering if I am not the only one spending hours going back and forth looking at G shock's and trying to decide which one to get.

I read some of the posts here giving advice on how to choose, but just analyzing what I am looking for does not really solve the problem.

There are so many models to choose from with overlapping features. I tend to like the all-black models, but then there will be 1-2 features missing, or one thing I don't like about the display...I will read reviews where the negative display is hard to read.....then I will look at another model and like some things about it, but then find it doesn't have the atomic feature...then I will go back and forth on whether I really care about the atomic feature....I was all set to buy one with 4 stainless screws on the front, but then read reviews where the screws tend to fall out....I will look at another and start getting ready to hit the "buy" button, but then I start second guessing if I need all of the features it has and do I want to spend that much on a G shock just for beater situations, but then I think about using it for hiking too and would it be nice to have a compass, etc etc etc.

I suppose its a good problem to have so many choices. So far I am zeroing in on a mudman (the one with the 5 rings at the top of the face)...I can get from Amazon for $100 and it looks indestructible...but even that one, I can start questioning if its really the one I want....haha!

I just want a G shock to wear when on a mud run, or playing football on the beach, or working in the yard..times when I don't want one of my expensive swiss automatics being put at risk. At first I thought it would be easy, just pick almost any G shock....but being a watch guy I can't help but look at a bunch of them and find myself going round and round and intrigued by the features.

I suppose I will just get the mudman, its durable as hell and all I really need is a basic watch that can take a beating, that did not cost a fortune - so if it is ruined I won't be bothered much. But I can see how people can get totally into the G shocks, there are a lot of very cool watches in the lineup.
    Crater and ElectricDan like this.

Re: Anyone else going nuts trying to choose a G shock?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
    Hi, just wondering if I am not the only one spending hours going back and forth looking at G shock's and trying to decide which one to get.
    It's not so much which one to get, but rather which one to get FIRST.

That's how I spent most of my weekend.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am doing the same thing trying to choose a G shock. Since I have a smaller wrist I started by eliminating the larger models, then eliminated the negative displays (they look cool but I want better readability). Still have not made a final decision.
    Last edited by dlavi; December 16th, 2013 at 19:08.
    El Gato likes this.

Nah man, not me. I just kind of knew I needed a piece that slipped under my jacket sleeves when it's cold, is rather slim to fit my 6.5" wrist, and solar atomic multiband. The gw5600 it that beautifully. I'm convinced there's a model for everyone, mate! Don't give up!!!

I just want a G shock to wear when on a mud run, or playing football on the beach, or working in the yard..times when I don't want one of my expensive swiss automatics being put at risk. At first I thought it would be easy, just pick almost any G shock....but being a watch guy I can't help but look at a bunch of them and find myself going round and round and intrigued by the features.

I suppose I will just get the mudman, its durable as hell and all I really need is a basic watch that can take a beating, that did not cost a fortune - so if it is ruined I won't be bothered much. But I can see how people can get totally into the G shocks, there are a lot of very cool watches in the lineup.
    Judging by these few statements of yours, I'd suggest you look at the Rangeman for those situations you need a purebred G-Shock as something to wear around just about anywhere and play with the 'features'. Or Gravity Defier GW-A1100 for those casual moments and just when you need a nice watch that looks the business and delivers on promises with its functions etc.

I did the whole circle few years back, just like you I owned and still own Swiss automatics but got to the point the whole G-obsession got a little out of hand...Swiss autos sitting in the box overshadowed by the collection of over 50 G-shocks, 4 of them Real Black Frogmans for example...that's how bad it got . All of my G-shocks are now sold and only two models I have and wear on weekly basis are the new Rangeman that I slightly modded https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ste...-a-946167.html and the green Gravity Defier GW-A1100-1A3. Neither is exactly cheap for a G-shock but both of those two watches fit my needs these days.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers.
    El Gato and RResurreccion like this.

Why limit yourself to g-shocks? Casio makes a lot of other great watches. Some nice Timexes too. Christmas coming up; why not devote the holidays to watch research?

Seriously, you have to recognize that none of them is perfect. Just try to find one that's good enough. DW5600?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofalmighty View Post
    Nah man, not me. I just kind of knew I needed a piece that slipped under my jacket sleeves when it's cold, is rather slim to fit my 6.5" wrist, and solar atomic multiband. The gw5600 it that beautifully. I'm convinced there's a model for everyone, mate!
    Really like that one you posted the pictures of...now I have ANOTHER one to consider...haha

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    Judging by these few statements of yours, I'd suggest you look at the Rangeman for those situations you need a purebred G-Shock as something to wear around just about anywhere and play with the 'features'. Or Gravity Defier GW-A1100 for those casual moments and just when you need a nice watch that looks the business and delivers on promises with its functions etc.

I did the whole circle few years back, just like you I owned and still own Swiss automatics but got to the point the whole G-obsession got a little out of hand...Swiss autos sitting in the box overshadowed by the collection of over 50 G-shocks, 4 of them Real Black Frogmans for example...that's how bad it got . All of my G-shocks are now sold and only two models I have and wear on weekly basis are the new Rangeman that I slightly modded https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ste...-a-946167.html and the green Gravity Defier GW-A1100-1A3. Neither is exactly cheap for a G-shock but both of those two watches fit my needs these days.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the thoughtful comments! Much appreciated. I did look closely at the rangeman (and the frogman). I like both. I go back and forth between spending several hundred and just getting something basic. I can easily see how one could get hooked on these watches...but I don't expect I will be moving off my nice mechanicals - God help me if I get hooked on G shocks! lol - that is all I need, one more watch obsession

I just want a G shock for a beater when I am doing more active things outdoors. How many features it ends up having continues to be my mental treadmill at the moment. Not interested in G shock with analogue hands, I want to go for the pure digital.

Not interested in G shock with analogue hands, I want to go for the pure digital.
    Weren't we all in the beginning...

Funny how things do a U-turn on you when you least expect it,
    Durp13579 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information