Anyone ever modify the end of a resin strap?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone ever modify the end of a resin strap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone ever modify the end of a resin strap?

The end of my resin strap has some kind of molding finish on it which in my eyes just looks untidy. Yes, I know it wouldn't even fizz on most of you. Has anyone successfully removed this blemish before? I'm concerned that simply using a bit of fine sandpaper will destroy the finish on the resin and I'll be in an even worse state than when started!

Name:  end strap finish.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  2.10 MB
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Re: Anyone ever modify the end of a resin strap?

I tried in one Mudmaster but the sand paper is not useful, maybe better the cutter, but sometimes the injection point is not protruding, so you need to remove more portion... I stop any modification
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

It depends how willing you are to do minor damage to the finish because you'll be basically "re-finishing" that part and the area around it yourself. I've gotten lucky using techniques I learned from plastic model building on other things made of plastics. Best case result is akin to erasing something written by a pencil. There may be a smudge left over from what was previously written or as a result of the erasing, but only if you look very carefully.

First step is using very slow and steady outward and steep strokes with a utility knife for major protrusions. Careful with this part and keep it very slow so that you won't be causing further damage to the plastic (i.e. usually whitish discoloration from "damaging" the plastic). Slowly transition from steep outward strokes to strokes flatter to the "body" of the piece until there is either no protrusion or it's very very minimal. If done correctly, you'll leave a glossy surface where you cut off the protrusion that is flat to the surface of the part.

Depending of how good of a job you did above, you can either do the next step of buffing out the surface by using sandpaper or scratching/rubbing on the surface with your finger and/or nail. It's kind of weird to explain it this way, but since it's plastic, I think of it as kind of like something between buffing out scratches on metal and buffing out scratches on leather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about trying to manipulate that. Though you find irksome, it looks finished and has a symmetry to it. You may not like the end result that on your strap does ride high.

Timepieces

2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

My Gulfman GW-9110-1 had a protrusion on the strap end, but it looked even worse. It was rough and not symmetrical. Some parts were shiny and some were matte. I used a finger nail sanding stick to initially smooth it, then switched to finer wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around the sanding stick to smooth it some more. It came out fine, but ended up with a whitish haze on the finish. I found that a slate grey Sharpie fixes the latter problem. The color is a good match for many Casio "black" straps, which are really very dark grey.

I did the same on my GW-M850. Here are the pics before and after using the Sharpie.

Name:  GW-M850 strap end before Sharpie (DSC00668).JPG
Views: 86
Size:  612.6 KB

Name:  GW-M850 strap end after Sharpie (DSC00672).JPG
Views: 85
Size:  598.8 KB
    Last edited by GaryK30; August 17th, 2017 at 22:05.
    StephenWatch likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

A Sharpie won't last. You might just want to use a very sharp knife and slice about 1mm off the end. Then nick the corners to round them off a bit.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Still surprises me that even the 'maharishi' version which retailed at £750, has this unfinished molding mark. You'd have thought that Casio would have finished it off properly!

Name:  maharishi band end marked.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  139.4 KB
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    A Sharpie won't last. You might just want to use a very sharp knife and slice about 1mm off the end. Then nick the corners to round them off a bit.
    It has lasted well for me on both straps. Plus, it only takes ten seconds to redo it if necessary. I couldn't come up with any other way to get rid of the whitish haze after sanding the strap end.
    StephenWatch likes this.

I believe the haze is caused by feathering the surface. One method of clean up I have tried on killing the fuzzies is using an open flame to melt it back.

And now I've noticed the mark on the tip of my G Shock. It's a mold line, no doubt. In fact, it's on the bezel, too, between the buttons, down the side of the strap, on the keeper, OMG LINES EVERYWHERE, EVEN THE BUCKLE. AAUGHHHH!

Meh. A week at the beach and they won't even be noticeable.

One does have to ask - just how would polymer cast in molds not have a parting line on the parts? Jeans have seams and leather has cut edges. Mold lines are incredibly difficult to avoid in casting.
    MainePorsche likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tirod3 View Post

One does have to ask - just how would polymer cast in molds not have a parting line on the parts? Jeans have seams and leather has cut edges. Mold lines are incredibly difficult to avoid in casting.
    I'm curious why all my G(W)7900 watches with resin straps have a perfectly clean edge when much more expensive models don't?

Name:  GW7900 resin strap.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  700.8 KB
    GaryK30 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information