Anyone got any tips on how to make a shiny strap matte?

Thread: Anyone got any tips on how to make a shiny strap matte?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone got any tips on how to make a shiny strap matte?

I have a used Dw-8400 with a shiny strap that I would like to make matte again.

Anyone successfuly achieved a good finish on a used strap and if so how??

Cheers,

Catch22.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

Re: Anyone got any tips on how to make a shiny strap matte?

Or the opposite would be good for me - how can I make a new matte replacement strap match my old shiny watch bezel?
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I have a used Dw-8400 with a shiny strap that I would like to make matte again.

Anyone successfuly achieved a good finish on a used strap and if so how??

Cheers,

Catch22.
    Done exactly that on couple of my used DW-8400 straps in the past. I used very fine (but not too fine) 1200 grit sand paper. Even strokes with a very slight push onto the resin surface will just do fine.
    Depending on end-result, I use Cape Cod cloth to get rid of possible streaking and for overal uniform look.

Just stay away from 2000 grit sandpaper as this one will just re-polish even more it and won't do much for you.

If the strap is too shiny and damaged, you can always start with a 3M ScotchBrite sponge/cloth, the abrasive sort. Then finish up as per above. :)

Let us know how you go!

cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

try dying the bezel and strap if you like, its very simple. the only problem is that the white letter will disappear.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=158232

Quote Originally Posted by blackbox619 View Post
    try dying the bezel and strap ...
    I had tried this first, before eventually deciding on sanding method...it won't work unfortunately, while the black resin will become one shade blacker the original shine from use will still be there and won't be lessen by dyeing process, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    Done exactly that on couple of my used DW-8400 straps in the past. I used very fine (but not too fine) 1200 grit sand paper. Even strokes with a very slight push onto the resin surface will just do fine.
    Depending on end-result, I use Cape Cod cloth to get rid of possible streaking and for overal uniform look.

Just stay away from 2000 grit sandpaper as this one will just re-polish even more it and won't do much for you.

If the strap is too shiny and damaged, you can always start with a 3M ScotchBrite sponge/cloth, the abrasive sort. Then finish up as per above. :)

Let us know how you go!

cheers!
    Sounds like what I was thinking at first but was worried about the marks that would be left behind.

I also have some compound that I use for the first buffing of new paint. I may try this too and see what happens.

Cheers again all.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

Does it not give the matt area a bit of a white powder'ish' look at an angle?

Let us know how you go!

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by eonianaerial View Post
    Does it not give the matt area a bit of a white powder'ish' look at an angle?
    It depends on resin type and time of manufacture. On some straps (DW-9000) yes you could see a little bit more white streaking effect, on my DW-8400 it didn't. Especially after you finish up with a few strokes of Cape Cod cloth or Brasso metal polisher. I know this all may sound as a bit of fluff, but it's definitely woarth having a go, at least it worked in my case.

Very interesting mate. I shall try it on some old spares for experimenting
    Now where did that frog skin go...

It depends on resin type and time of manufacture. On some straps (DW-9000) yes you could see a little bit more white streaking effect, on my DW-8400 it didn't. Especially after you finish up with a few strokes of Cape Cod cloth or Brasso metal polisher. I know this all may sound as a bit of fluff, but it's definitely woarth having a go, at least it worked in my case.

Funny...just the other day I was thinking my G-2300 had got very shiny on the band and bezel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information