Anyone has some experience on hydromod screwback DW before?
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Anyone has some experience on hydromod screwback DW before?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone has some experience on hydromod screwback DW before?

Wondering if anyone has successfully done a hydromod on any of screwback DW before? I'm considering to give it a try but i've failed with dw-5600 before (some already mentioned that it's quite problematic, I thought I could cut cushion rubber and solve expansion issue but in the end it leak from crystal). I've seen many successfully executed this mod on 5610, gw-s5600 or gw-5000. But I'm not sure I'm ready to do this with my gw-5000 or gw-s5600.

To be more specific I'm considering to perform hydromod on my custom build DW-5000/5030 (3229 module). Without solar panel, if fail I still be able to undo the mod. But it would be a better idea to ask around first as undoing is not so fun.

Thanks in advance. Any input is appreciated.
    memento_mori and JustAbe like this.

Re: Anyone has some experience on hydromod screwback DW before?

No input from me but good luck! Mind showing a pic of your custom dw5000?
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Also, what is your process for undoing a hydromod? Love mine but regretting doing just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by steelydap View Post
    No input from me but good luck! Mind showing a pic of your custom dw5000?
    Also, what is your process for undoing a hydromod? Love mine but regretting doing just one of them.
    My custom DW-5000MD.

For undoing hydromod I didn't take pic when I did it on DW-5600 but it's the same process as when I did on F-91. Disassemble the watch and the module, clean them up and put them back together. If you want to use the same cushion rubber be sure to squeeze oil out but I recommend using new cushion rubber. I did share my experience in the same thread that kenls posted in your thread about cushion rubber expansion

Here is the link
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/hy...l#post49206427
    memento_mori, g-fob2 and steelydap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Facelessman View Post
    My custom DW-5000MD.

For undoing hydromod I didn't take pic when I did it on DW-5600 but it's the same process as when I did on F-91. Disassemble the watch and the module, clean them up and put them back together. If you want to use the same cushion rubber be sure to squeeze oil out but I recommend using new cushion rubber. I did share my experience in the same thread that kenls posted in your thread about cushion rubber expansion

Here is the link
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/hy...l#post49206427
    Very cool!

Facelessman likes this.

I had hydro modded my GW-5000. It took me a while to build up the nerves to do so as I was certain that it'd leak from the crystal. It wasn't until I saw Tommy Arashikage's hydro modded GW-5000 that I tried.

Based on this experience, I think that a metal case basic square should do well. The main reason being that the fit of the crystal and gasket to the metal case is much tighter than a resin case. This should prevent oil from leaking from between the crystal and case.

The main suggestion that I can give to you is to also fill the case back with oil before you try to screw it on. That should help to make sure that there is no air trapped in the case. Also, if you have the plastic inner frame that the 3421 module uses, it should work better than the metal/rubber frame of the 3229 module as the rear cushion of that configuration seems to absorb a lot of oil, which can cause it to not only expand but also cause air to seep into the case. At least that's been my experience trying to hydro mod watches with a rear cushion. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your results!
    kenls, acadian, buzzy and 2 others like this.

Actually I was inspired to do hydromod on GW-5000 after seeing Tommy's and yours. Very crisp and sexy.

Your input on the fit of the crystal on metal square does help. Thank you

Not so sure whether I will execute this mod or not but if I decide to do so will surely share result here (no matter if it's a success or not)
    tommy.arashikage and kevio like this.

Took me more than a couple of months but i finally give it a try. I use 100 cst silicon fluid to fill the watch. Cushion rubber have been trimmed and soaked in silicon oil for more than a month before i use it.

After a couple of days still seems to be ok, no sign of leakage.

kevio, GaryK30, kenls and 3 others like this.

Looks great! If it hasn’t leaked by now, you should be fine especially since you’re using a metal case and have already soaked and trimmed the rear rubber cushion. Great job on this!

By the way, love the case holder. Did you make it yourself?
    Facelessman likes this.

Thanks for your kind words kevio. Yes, the case holder is a DIY thing. Super simple and easy to make one and it works.
    kenls likes this.

Nah. Only one day of wearing. I noticed some bubble. My son is excited to see bubble inside a watch. Pretty sure that there is some leakage not sure whether it from crystal or button but doesn't really matter bottom line is it doesn't work. Not such a big disappointment for me as i already prepare that this could happen. I don't have my tools with me at the moment. Will dehydro it next week.

For now just report the result and grab some beer.
    memento_mori likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information