Anyone here "in the know" about CASIO watch designers?
Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By xevious
  • 2 Post By m1ckDELTA
  • 5 Post By Time4Playnow
  • 1 Post By kubr1ck
  • 1 Post By xevious
  • 1 Post By Time4Playnow

Thread: Anyone here "in the know" about CASIO watch designers?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Question Anyone here "in the know" about CASIO watch designers?

We all know about Mr. Kikuo Ibe, the father of the CASIO G-SHOCK watch. And more recently, there has been some international attention paid to Mr. Ryusuke Moriai, the main heading up CASIO timepiece design and known for having designed many CASIO watches (including the ubiquitous F-91W). But what of other designers? It appears that CASIO keeps this info very "close to the chest." But I'd love to know about the CASIO timepiece design engineers. Wouldn't it be great to have a chart of every watch model and the name of the designer next to it?

Why have this info? Well, maybe there's a trend of watches you like being originated by particular CASIO timepiece designers. Funny thing, Mr. Ryusuke Moriai is well known in Japan (especially Tokyo) and he's frequently spotted and admired by the Japanese (in reviews, it was stated he's often grabbed for photo ops). I found this interesting, as I thought perhaps in Japanese culture this wouldn't be very common.

Anyway, if anyone knows about other CASIO timepiece designers, please share. If you can!
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: Anyone here "in the know" about CASIO watch designers?

I like your idea, but like you pointed out, the information may be continued to be held within the company.

I'm guessing one reason for that could be found here:
    Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Funny thing, Mr. Ryusuke Moriai is well known in Japan (especially Tokyo) and he's frequently spotted and admired by the Japanese (in reviews, it was stated he's often grabbed for photo ops).
    Perhaps Casio is very cautious to only reveal those designers, who are already well established, which may ease the accepance of new or current designs.

We all know about Mr. Kikuo Ibe, the father of the CASIO G-SHOCK watch. And more recently, there has been some international attention paid to Mr. Ryusuke Moriai, the main heading up CASIO timepiece design and known for having designed many CASIO watches (including the ubiquitous F-91W). But what of other designers? It appears that CASIO keeps this info very "close to the chest." But I'd love to know about the CASIO timepiece design engineers. Wouldn't it be great to have a chart of every watch model and the name of the designer next to it?

Why have this info? Well, maybe there's a trend of watches you like being originated by particular CASIO timepiece designers. Funny thing, Mr. Ryusuke Moriai is well known in Japan (especially Tokyo) and he's frequently spotted and admired by the Japanese (in reviews, it was stated he's often grabbed for photo ops). I found this interesting, as I thought perhaps in Japanese culture this wouldn't be very common.

Anyway, if anyone knows about other CASIO timepiece designers, please share. If you can!
    Maybe it's a cultural thing, the idea that designers are part of a greater team and that individual recognition is bad form.
    ruizjaime26 and MainePorsche like this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^ Yes, while Japan is not communist, I've had the impression that there has been a tradition of keeping pubic praise of individuals to a minimum... although with recent cultural trends, perhaps it is changing a bit. It could be that only senior people can freely take the recognition, whereas "underlings" are discouraged for fear of upstaging their superiors.

All that aside, I imagine there must be some documentation not widely disseminated that denotes what employees were the lead designers for each G-Shock watch model.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

^ Yes, while Japan is not communist, I've had the impression that there has been a tradition of keeping pubic praise of individuals to a minimum... although with recent cultural trends, perhaps it is changing a bit. It could be that only senior people can freely take the recognition, whereas "underlings" are discouraged for fear of upstaging their superiors.

All that aside, I imagine there must be some documentation not widely disseminated that denotes what employees were the lead designers for each G-Shock watch model.
    What kind of praise?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Okay....well, I normally like to keep quiet about this. I don't like to brag, but...I designed the Mudmaster. Thank you, thank you. (no applause, please)

It was funny how it happened. There was a Casio ad for a "design" contest on a cereal box. (Japanese Cheerios) At the time, Casio had the name of their new watch in mind already -- they were calling it the "DirtKing." But they needed help with the design. I not only submitted the winning design, but also gave them the improved name that they are now using for that model. Mr. Ibe said that as soon as he saw my design, he KNEW it was a winner!

Oh --- and, another little known fact is that I designed the GW-5000 as well. Yeah, I had an extra 5 minutes during lunch one day, and scribbled the design on a napkin. I thought it had potential, and mailed it to Kikuo. So yeah, I lucked out on that one, too. For the winning design, Casio gave me a coupon worth 1,000 Yen on Rakuten.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Okay....well, I normally like to keep quiet about this. I don't like to brag, but...I designed the Mudmaster. Thank you, thank you. (no applause, please)

It was funny how it happened. There was a Casio ad for a "design" contest on a cereal box. (Japanese Cheerios) At the time, Casio had the name of their new watch in mind already -- they were calling it the "DirtKing." But they needed help with the design. I not only submitted the winning design, but also gave them the improved name that they are now using for that model. Mr. Ibe said that as soon as he saw my design, he KNEW it was a winner!

Oh --- and, another little known fact is that I designed the GW-5000 as well. Yeah, I had an extra 5 minutes during lunch one day, and scribbled the design on a napkin. I thought it had potential, and mailed it to Kikuo. So yeah, I lucked out on that one, too. For the winning design, Casio gave me a coupon worth 1,000 Yen on Rakuten.
    Sheesh, and this whole time I thought you were the founder of the Pro Trek line.
    Time4Playnow likes this.
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

From what I've seen thus far, it appears that Sjors was the only interviewer that has asked a representative from CASIO whether or not anyone from the company reads the WatchUSeek G-Shock forum. Apparently they do... but to what extent, it's hard to say.

CASIO does take great pride in doing things their way, with an occasional eavesdrop on what the customer might want. We've seen a few things chatted about for a few years on WUS to end up resulting in a product change from CASIO. I really think the Rangeman was one of them.... a frequent request to have a "rugged ProTrek"... and the Rangeman is essentially it. Then there was the ongoing wish for bullbars (which CASIO had discontinued some years ago), and after Jays & Kays made great headway with their aftermarket version, suddenly CASIO delivers them.

One would hope someone from the G-Shock product team, perhaps even a lead designer, might occasionally read WUS/F17, or at least catch a topic here or there pointed out to them by someone doing product research. I'll bet that they do have a company policy about participation on forums like this, so we'd never see any of them show up and post. It sure would be great if some of them created alter-ego accounts and dropped in with questions from time to time.

Anyway, I'd read somewhere that CASIO is very secretive of their staff (probably for the reasons of warding off intelligence gathering from the competition), aside from those at the top. So it seems that this inquiry will end up going nowhere. Oh well. But, I'll keep one eye out for info just in case.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

I also wonder if Casio's decision to make the world time sub-dial on the GPW-2000 and the MRG-G2000 "12 hours" vice "24 hours" had anything to do with them reading this forum?? Or maybe, they just came to their senses.
    xevious likes this.

Thread Information