Anyone want to play Froggie speculationfor a bit?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steelerswit
  • 1 Post By Tetsu Tekubi
  • 1 Post By FROG

Thread: Anyone want to play Froggie speculationfor a bit?

Anyone want to play Froggie speculationfor a bit?

So, For the longest time ever I owned a GW-9400, but exclusively wore my GW-M5610. The ranger is absolutely awesome in every sense, but I always felt it was too big, and that I'd never get used to it
    A few months back I decided, I would wear it exclusively for a week, and if I can't stand it, then I'd sell it, because I hated seeing such an awesome watch just sit at the window.

Long story short, it hasn't left my wrist for the past couple of months and now that I am more comfortable with it, I feel like I can finally get my dream G; a Froggie!

The GWF-1000 for me is the perfect froggie, balancing not being too old, but also at a great spot size wise (wears like a GW-9400-ish from trying it out at the shop quick) and having an awesome moon & tide graph

So I'm probably going to sell my 9400 and get a froggie for my birthday, but I was wondering...

Considering the GWF-D1000 has been around for a while , and with all you awesome gents with a better eye on trends and casio trends

If we got another Froggie soon from casio, do you think it would be more along a
    1. NAVBEAST kind of froggie (ultimate awesomeness, but wall-clock sized as far as poor 6.5" wristers like myself are concerned)
    2. Carbon Core GWF-1000 / GW-9400 sized froggie?

Because for me, option 1 would be technically impressive, but I'd never get. And option 2 would be the dream G

So what do you think? I know there is no sure way or science of this of course, I'm just wondering what your speculations would be on what is likely to happen, rather than "what would be your dream froggie" kind of thing

Thanks for playing along :)

EDIT: My own personal hope / feeling? More option 2 because I think the industry as a whole is moving away from the "as large as possible" phase. However, my fears are that froggies are supposed to be professional diver's watches, and so no one would fault casio for making a watch that was not comfortable "desk diving"
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

Re: Anyone want to play Froggie speculationfor a bit?

This is just me but i think if theyd carbon core a froggy, the gwfd would be first to get it.

lolz

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I learned desk diving in school

Attached Images Attached Images

Tetsu Tekubi likes this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

i touched on this in the other thread, with the down sizing of alot of models im hoping they revive the 200 series as a 250 or something, maybe bung BT in it. carbon coring is a possibility but im not sure if they want to cover the screwback, im sure a few purists will have a cry if that happened lol the CC does make sense tho if it can help reduce the bulk.
    of course the other end of the scale is a mutant frog (battle toad? lol ) tho im not sure what they could throw at it since the whole gps thing is part of the gprb persona and doesnt work under water. plus i think if they try to tech it out too much it starts looking less like a tough dive watch and more like a cheap dive computer that doesnt do as much. unless they do try to nudge into the dive computer market? stranger things have happened.

even tho theres no basic models of the 8250, its still nice to see it floating around tho

tekmonkey likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

I would be sad if the frogman lost the screwback metal case in a newer model.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Cabezasonajero View Post
    I would be sad if the frogman lost the screwback metal case in a newer model.
    Why though? Seiko's Ultra 1000m divers have a monocoque case design and it is supposed to be a better sealant than a screwback. With solar power as well, there is even less need to ever open the watch, and so a carbon core case that gives the same water resistance at a lighter weight? I'd be 100% down for that
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

My opinions on Carbon Core...the fact that there are carbon fiber filaments in the material doesn't disclose if the fiber is continuously roved, the length of fibers, the strength of the fibers, and ignores another important characteristic - the matrix itself. If CASIO was using ULTEM, Stanyl Polyamide 46, or some kind of polyimide, then it would be pretty nice. If it was a ceramic matrix, that would be pretty awesome but unlikely. Most likely it is either a thermoset epoxy or technically a CFRP...but what specifically? Nobody really knows.

Generally speaking, I'm a little leery of the cold creep and expansion coefficients, not to mention the modulus of elasticity of CFRP composites. Obviously they can work in dive computers, but the necessary construction techniques demand a somewhat different design from normal watches.

I agree with the others that titanium screwbacks are a hallmark of the frogman. The depth meter is a nice touch and shouldn't go away. I loved the 200-series Frogman design. It was my flavorite.

I also like the 60 individual second ticks on the GWF-D1000. The old 5 second ticks weren't as useful IMHO.
    Last edited by FROG; April 9th, 2019 at 18:52.
    tekmonkey likes this.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a Ti screwback froggie with the depth metre, I just wish they'd not make it as big as the GWF-D1000

I'd like a reworking of the GWF-D1000 but with a 2 part resin set like the GWF-1000. Bigger suits me, I flipped my GF-8235 a while after buying it because it was too small (and also the lack of atomic).

Thread Information