Appreciate some help and expertise-what should I buy...
Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By Rocat
  • 1 Post By cpayton
  • 2 Post By tabbywmollya
  • 5 Post By cpayton

Thread: Appreciate some help and expertise-what should I buy...

Appreciate some help and expertise-what should I buy...

My son's 13th birthday is upon me and as any good father does (enable a watch fetish), I'd like to start him appreciating the watch world. We passed by a store in the mall a few weeks ago with a large display of G shocks where I stopped just to take a long glance. He liked a black one with green accents and then later when I started telling him about all the capabilities and functions, well... So, I really like the PAG-240 for $150 but it's WAY too big, even for me let alone a 13 yr old! So, criteria. Must have:
    1. >50M WR
    2. > Solar
    3. <45 mm case diameter
    4. < (ish) $150 new
    5. All digital
    6. PLUS(es) for altimeter, compass like functions as he does a lot with Boy Scouts, green accents.
    7. I am not die hard G shock brand loyal, that's just the best brand for that kind of watch that I would typically recommend (other than Suunto which again, the size thing

I appreciate any thoughts you guys have as I like G shocks but there seem to be endless models and variances. Further, Amazon and Google are my main price checks so any other thoughts about that are welcome. Thank you all in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by cpayton; February 3rd, 2016 at 02:00. Reason: misspelllinggg

Re: Appreciate some help and expertise-what should I buy...

If he is Scouting (cool), he will only need the watch as a back up to his compass and other skill sets he will be using. You will be hard pressed to find a watch under 45mm for the features you are looking at.

One suggestion, Casio PRG-300

A slim cased (for Casio ABC watch) that is solar and has the latest sensors. It's 47mm though.

PRG300-1A2 - PRO TREK, Mens, Digital, Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Watch | CASIO America, Inc.

Another alternative that is still Casio is the SGW-100. It's compass and temp only though. But a lot cheaper.

SGW100-1V - Sports, Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog Wrist, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

This is an older watch but the sensors are top notch according to some members who actually use their ABC watches for their intended purpose. It not a looker but is gets the job done. And it too is inexpensive. It has digital bearing lock and digital backward bearing to return to your starting point.

La Crosse Sport Watch Compass Barometer XG 55 New | eBay

This is not small but it is inexpensive as well. Another member here that trains UN Nato forces in Germany has this watch and has told me it is one of the better ABC watches for the money that he has used in the field. They are sold under the Pyle name as well as the name LAD.

New Pyle PSWWM82BK Digital Sport Watch w Altimeter Barometer Weather Forecast | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Altimeter-Chronograph-Forecast-Climbing/dp/B00L2594EA/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1454463267&sr=1-2&nodeID=6358539011&keywords=lad%20weather%20watch &tag=viglink122305-20

Here is member hiker's review I asked for back in April of 2015.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/la...e-1754274.html
    Last edited by Rocat; February 3rd, 2016 at 02:51.
    GaryK30, Mike K, JohnQFord and 2 others like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I like the suggestions thanks for that. I'll keep doing some research and keep ya'll posted!
    Rocat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

G9300 Mudman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Izzy_Does_It and cpayton like this.

I second the PRG 300, it's a good watch and much smaller than most protreks and G-shocks!

Just a quick follow up. I found a good deal for $100 on Amazon so I purchased the PRG 270-1 although the Mudman was a close 2nd. He loved it although he has plenty of room to grow into it as the watch is much larger than mine. Still, he looks like a cool kid with it so I guess he pulls it off better than I could! Again, thank all of you who did reply for the comments and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information