ArmorAll on a G-Shock? UV & O3 PROTECTION

Thread: ArmorAll on a G-Shock? UV & O3 PROTECTION

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ArmorAll on a G-Shock? UV & O3 PROTECTION

Could it be a good idea to put a little of ArmorAll or other similar product over a G-Shock's resin bezel and strap to protect them from UV light, atmospheric Ozone and maybe other elements?

In the long run, those are the worst enemies of a G-Shock, IMO.

Maybe after rubbing a little of it on the bezel and strap, I could wipe out the excess with a towel, a toothpick and a toothbrush.

So what do you think about it guys? Hope my G-shock will not melt away with it, LOL

Nurse
    : Is something wrong doctor?
    Hawkeye
    : I think I just found my wristwatch, either that or he's giving birth to an alarm clock!

M*A*S*H (Yankee Doodle Doctor, 1970 Season 1)

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: ArmorAll on a G-Shock? UV & O3 PROTECTION

I think g-shock's are ment to be worn and abused (whatever occurs in daily life). unless it's a rather seldom model and more like a collectors item, I don't waste any thoughts about what could happen to them when exposed to the elements. the last thing I want to do, is to baby a watch that is considered as the "toughest watch in the world", just my 2 cents.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    I think g-shock's are ment to be worn and abused (whatever occurs in daily life). unless it's a rather seldom model and more like a collectors item, I don't waste any thoughts about what could happen to them when exposed to the elements. the last thing I want to do, is to baby a watch that is considered as the "toughest watch in the world", just my 2 cents.

regards, holger
    +1

Well said Holger!

Gs are meant to take a beating and keep on ticking!

Cheers,
    MountainMike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

regards, holger
    And my 2 cents as well!!!! I mean 3 so now its up to a nickel......sorry I could not help it!
    You only live once.....and some don't even do that!!

Rinsing the watch off under water occasionally will help prolong the life of the resin parts (so im told).unfortunatelly,resin rot and breakage will most likely happen some time during the life of the watch...so wear it and enjoy it

some g shocks cost an absolute fortune to buy , so i keep mine clean , sometimes i even use a silicone polish on them , hoping that this might extend the life of the resin parts.

Ive got a daily wearer that i use and abuse,but some of my watches in my collection only get worn occasionally and they do get "babied".i know these watches are tough..but i would be insane not to care about my expensive and hard to replace g,s.

So, if you love the watch(no matter how much it cost)keep it clean , look after it,and it could become a classic that could be a collectors dream one day...or wear it and use it as it was designed.
    Last edited by dean0070_8,; February 15th, 2009 at 16:30.

I've actually heard bad things about Armor All in particular when it comes to car dashboards etc. Not sure how much of it is rumor.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Banned
    London, England and Phang Nga Bay, Ko Tapu (James Bond Island)

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    I've actually heard bad things about Armor All in particular when it comes to car dashboards etc. Not sure how much of it is rumor.
    It's NOT a rumor. It's ALL 100% true. Armor all will ruin the resin.

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Dreadlocks View Post
    Could it be a good idea to put a little of ArmorAll or other similar product over a G-Shock's resin bezel and strap to protect them from UV light, atmospheric Ozone and maybe other elements?

In the long run, those are the worst enemies of a G-Shock, IMO.

Maybe after rubbing a little of it on the bezel and strap, I could wipe out the excess with a towel, a toothpick and a toothbrush.

So what do you think about it guys? Hope my G-shock will not melt away with it, LOL
    My friend even though these watches are potentially the toughest in the world, everything has it's weakness and if you wish to look after and prolong the life of the watch then you have identified the a very real weakness of a G-Shock, it's resin case and strap.
    It's like having the best pair of leather shoes and never treating them with leather wax polish, they will crack and become brittle much faster.
    It's the same for the G-Shock but without the wax, if you want the resin strap and case to last as long as possible then ideally keep it away from water and treat it regularly with a quality liquid silicone based protectant, and it will last for many years and look like new for much longer.
    Armor all is fine, as is any quality silicone plastic protectant that prevents cracking, UV damage ect... Quality car dashboard products are actually a good choice as they are tested to protect under extreame heat and UV conditions.
    Hope this information helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    It's NOT a rumor. It's ALL 100% true. Armor all will ruin the resin.

100% incorrect. ArmorAll was reformulated YEARS ago. Did very well in comparison test of similar products several years ago by Guru Reports. It is absolutely, 100% safe to use.

regards, holger
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
    +1

Well said Holger!

Gs are meant to take a beating and keep on ticking!

Cheers,
    MountainMike
    Quote Originally Posted by GEODE HUNTER View Post
    And my 2 cents as well!!!! I mean 3 so now its up to a nickel......sorry I could not help it!
    Certainly I was not writing about the watch movement by itself, only about the resin parts.

If you think Casio's resin bands are the "toughest resin watch bands in the world", you need to think about it again...

Nurse
    : Is something wrong doctor?
    Hawkeye
    : I think I just found my wristwatch, either that or he's giving birth to an alarm clock!

M*A*S*H (Yankee Doodle Doctor, 1970 Season 1)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information