Atomic adjustment - but from another country?

Thread: Atomic adjustment - but from another country?

Atomic adjustment - but from another country?

Hi,

I recently purchased my G-Shock from HK (module 2688). I was particularly interested in the atomic timekeeping, but I obviously didn't know about the fact that the watches are designed for specific transmitters in mind.

I currently stay in the UK and according to the manual, the watch syncs from Fort Collins in the US.

Is there any way I can use the atomic timekeeping at all (short of going to the US)?

Re: Atomic adjustment - but from another country?

Only 5 band Atomic models will work in the UK and Europe. I suspect yours is maybe a tri-band model, that only works in the US and Japan.

While Fatpants is correct, we receive Japanese signals easily here in Aus (over 7,200 km for Japan to my place but closer to 9,000km to southern Aus cities) so it may be possible for you to occasionally pick up US signals, although I'd expect there'd be a lot more interference getting in the way than we have here.

London to Fort Collins is roughly the same distance as Aus to Japan btw (~7,500).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    While Fatpants is correct, we receive Japanese signals easily here in Aus (over 7,200 km for Japan to my place but closer to 9,000km to southern Aus cities) so it may be possible for you to occasionally pick up US signals, although I'd expect there'd be a lot more interference getting in the way than we have here.

London to Fort Collins is roughly the same distance as Aus to Japan btw (~7,500).
    It won't work because the UK signal is transmitted on exactly the same frequency as the US signal (60kHz), so Fort Collins (USA) will be completely swamped by Anthorn (UK).

You can get the Japanese signal in Australia because you are not transmitting your own signal on that frequency. So while the Japanese signal may be very weak, at least you can hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpants View Post
    Only 5 band Atomic models will work in the UK and Europe. I suspect yours is maybe a tri-band model, that only works in the US and Japan.
    I looked up the module number (2688) and from what I can see this model only syncs with WWVB (i.e. Fort Collins, US).

Quote Originally Posted by dudegalea View Post
    You can get the Japanese signal in Australia because you are not transmitting your own signal on that frequency. So while the Japanese signal may be very weak, at least you can hear it.
    Actually the Japanese signal are very strong here, even during the daytime. My atomic (when in an atomic city setting) showed full signal level the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Actually the Japanese signal are very strong here, even during the daytime. My atomic (when in an atomic city setting) showed full signal level the whole time.
    The thing to remember about the signal strength meter is that it isn't reporting signal strength per se, but signal quality. Its name is misleading.

Radio hams will be familiar with the RST method of reporting readability and strength. You can have a weak signal that is perfectly readable (e.g. "54") or a strong signal that is not very clear (e.g. "28").

I suspect that the Japanese signal is weak but clear for you.

For background info about the "Signal Quality Indicator", I refer you to the NIST document (PDF) "Recommended Practices for Manufacturers and Consumers". (Of course, this doc is talking about the US signal, but the principle is exactly the same for the Japanese signals.)

3.E. Signal Quality Indicator

Inclusion of a real-time signal quality indicator is recommended so that
    the consumer can find the best location and antenna orientation for
    their RCC product while forcing the product to attempt synchronization
    (Section 4.C). Since the actual signal strength is not easy to detect due
    to other RF noise at 60 kHz, the signal quality indicator can show the
    “bit strength,” or current readability level of the signal; or it can indicate
    the progress of the decoding process in the software.
    Given that the indicator on Casio watches can go down as well as up during a sync operation, I suspect that they are doing the former i.e. reporting the current readability of the signal, rather than indicating the progress of the decoding process.
    Last edited by dudegalea; November 11th, 2007 at 15:12.

Gotcha...very intriguing this signal stuff.

Thread Information