Are Atomic G Shocks just a marketing ploy?

Thread: Are Atomic G Shocks just a marketing ploy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are Atomic G Shocks just a marketing ploy?

Hi, huge fan of G Shock for its history, looks, toughness, functions, comfort, Solar power, but I'm unhappy with the lack of accuracy of my GW 5525 and the GW 9100.

They are off by about 15 seconds a month, or 3 minutes a year. Yes, of course, the atomic sync regulates them every day. But I have a Polar heart rate monitor that is off by only 1 second PER MONTH.

Don't we think if G Shock made more accurate watches we wouldn't need the Atomic calibration?

Love to hear from some G Shock fans here...

Re: Are Atomic G Shocks just a marketing ploy?

Well I like to think of it like the situation with 4 wheel drive SUV's.

Why do soccer moms living in an area which gets snow twice a year with more than suitable 2WD cars equipped with traction control and winter tires drive around big honkin 4WD off roading machines? Because of the added peace of mind and safety it gives.

To know that you'll never need to set your watch again and that it'll adjust once or twice a year to daylight savings gives people peace of mind. The same goes with the 10 seconds fast or slow it might run every month.

So I wouldn't say it's a marketing ploy but rather a feature that is really only necessary or benefitable beyond that of a regular G to less than 5% of the population that use them (like 4wd on vehicles).

I remember very well when there were NO digital clocks, watches or ANYTHING. We wound our watches or wore the autos to keep them going, and, checked and set them every day. Fifteen seconds a month accuracy? Unheard of. The "official time" was dialled on the rotary-dial phone and whichever main clock or watch was in the house was then the "reference". I have many types of timepieces now and like them all.
    I have several solar-atomic casios. Yeah there's "marketing", it's a company out to make money after all, but , I like being able to have "THE" time at hand, as well. I find it fun that we can obsess over ONE second accuracy. It's even more fun that we still have the rest of the types still around. Horology is fun in all it's forms for me, "marketing" or not. It's never actually mattered to me if I'm on time within a minute or not (as long as I'm not late to dinner!).
    Have FUN, there's plenty of misery in the world. To be upset over ONE second vs. fifteen seconds accuracy is letting some of the fun get away. Maybe I'll live to see and play with timepieces with MILLISECOND accuracy per year on my arm, without outside calibration! Now THAT would make for interesting obsession/discussion, eh?
    If you think Casio is ripping you off, walk away.......There are other choices. Until someone develops a device as accurate as the NIST clock for our wrists, I'll use the NIST beacon. The fact that we CAN use it for our watches AUTOMATICALLY, OVERNIGHT, is, to me, a minor miracle given my history.
    Have FUN!

Josh

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Its a marketing 'ploy' to my mind if the benefits of the feature outweigh the premium charged by the manufacturer for incorporating it.

The benefits of the feature however are I think to be judged subjectively against price by each individual purchaser. Some may in fact accrue an actual practical benefit, some may simply enjoy the 'idea' of the feature, which is perfectly valid when speading your own hard-earned cash. Personally speaking, I quite like not having to adjust the time-keeping of the watch, ever. Simple as that. At the same time, the extent to which my non-atomic casios are inaccurate does not really bother me.

If the existence of the option caused you to have a need that you never knew you had before you heard of the option well, lol, you need to review your consumerism.

I would look less favourably on the attitude of the manufacturer to atomic time-keeping if it lost its commitment to producing modules which do not include this feature, with appropriate reduction in price.

Casio does well, I think, in this area - look at the new GA-100. A brand spanking new G-Shock at a good price for the watch you buy; non-atomic.

Its PRG Protrek line is also worthy of compliment, as are the very, very many non-atomic G-Shocks which are by no means in the ha'penny place as regards form and other function factors.

On balance, for Casio watches, I am willing to see it as an option as opposed to a ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    I remember very well when there were NO digital clocks, watches or ANYTHING. We wound our watches or wore the autos to keep them going, and, checked and set them every day. Fifteen seconds a month accuracy? Unheard of. The "official time" was dialled on the rotary-dial phone and whichever main clock or watch was in the house was then the "reference". I have many types of timepieces now and like them all.
    I have several solar-atomic casios. Yeah there's "marketing", it's a company out to make money after all, but , I like being able to have "THE" time at hand, as well. I find it fun that we can obsess over ONE second accuracy. It's even more fun that we still have the rest of the types still around. Horology is fun in all it's forms for me, "marketing" or not. It's never actually mattered to me if I'm on time within a minute or not (as long as I'm not late to dinner!).
    Have FUN, there's plenty of misery in the world. To be upset over ONE second vs. fifteen seconds accuracy is letting some of the fun get away. Maybe I'll live to see and play with timepieces with MILLISECOND accuracy per year on my arm, without outside calibration! Now THAT would make for interesting obsession/discussion, eh?
    If you think Casio is ripping you off, walk away.......There are other choices. Until someone develops a device as accurate as the NIST clock for our wrists, I'll use the NIST beacon. The fact that we CAN use it for our watches AUTOMATICALLY, OVERNIGHT, is, to me, a minor miracle given my history.
    Have FUN!

Josh
    +1 - could not have said it better!

It's not a marketing thing to me. Well...it is,but it's something I really enjoy at it's best and makes me smile,so I guess it pays off itself this way.
    Ok,very few people need to have the EXACT time,but when I see my non atomic Casios gain 3/5 seconds each months it drives me crazy,but I know it's just me !!I've always been a "spot on time" person since I was a kid and I tend to get easily upset if someone is late on me,even by a few minutes !!!

And,it may be a common thing for European train users but have you guys ever watched those atomic train station clocks ?? When I see them perfectly syncked with my atomic Casio it really gives me a buzz .
    Ok,this kind of amusement does not apply to Italy. Italian train stations clocks are most of the times not working,or giving different times,or the train won't come at all.... But I really enjoy this when I travel around Paris,London,Amsterdam or Munich...

C'mon,after all it's Gshocks we are talking about,it's all about making ourself smile for 100 Euro/USD.
    Last edited by gettocard; June 13th, 2010 at 18:18.

Your Polar watch is performing above average. Your Casio watches are performing averagely.

I checked out the shared manual for the FS1/FS2/FS3. The stated accuracy is "less than +/- 2 secs a day".

Your Casios are rated 4 times more accurate than that: accuracy within +/- 15 secs a month.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

atomic is nice but far from necessary. i once too thought it was the essence of watchmaking, luckily not anymore. gain or lose a few seconds per month - so what? who cares? i'm neither james bond, nor jack bauer who has to disarm a nuclear bomb three seconds before it blows.

I wouldn't say atomic is a marketing ploy (solar is in my opinion), i can see that it might can helpful always to have the perfect time (train/bus stations for instance), i just don't see the necessity to have it on my wrist all the time (altough i have half a dozen atomic G's right now).

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by marcusa View Post
    Hi, huge fan of G Shock for its history, looks, toughness, functions, comfort, Solar power, but I'm unhappy with the lack of accuracy of my GW 5525 and the GW 9100.

They are off by about 15 seconds a month, or 3 minutes a year. Yes, of course, the atomic sync regulates them every day. But I have a Polar heart rate monitor that is off by only 1 second PER MONTH.

Don't we think if G Shock made more accurate watches we wouldn't need the Atomic calibration?

Love to hear from some G Shock fans here...
    Fact is, the rate you're getting is perfectly in line with what standard quartz movements provide. Look at any Japanese or Swiss company's literature and +/- 15 sec./month is the standard rate given for a basic non-thermocompensated quartz movement.
    Sure you can get incredible accuracy from non-atomic movements that are thermocompensated:
    Grand Seikos and Breitlings will give you +/- 10 sec./year and Citizen Chronomasters will give you +/- 5 sec./year, but you'll be paying $3K US and up. Atomic clock reception is a way to do an end run around that high price and give hyper accuracy to a relatively affordable watch.
    Last edited by obsidian; June 13th, 2010 at 20:06.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

If you are that close to the SUPER ACCURATE train departures, try leaving your house 5 minutes earlier. :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information