Atomic G too much sun?

Thread: Atomic G too much sun?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Atomic G too much sun?

Hi Guys - New here - Hello!

I recently bought a GW-M5600 and the other day thought it would be a good idea to 'top up' the battery by placing it on my windowsill in a lovely sunny day. Came back an hour later to a VERY hot watch (especially the metal back!) and an LCD that was almost totally unreadable! The whole display was as if it was negative!

A bit worried that I had damaged it, I put it in the fridge for a while and the display seemed to return to normal. Phew!

Does leaving a G in the sun damage it? I would have thought an hour of full sun would be fine! What about overheating? How hot can a G get?

Does 'solar' mean daylight (cloudy/ambient/room) and not actual SUNlight?

Id be interested to know your thoughts

Cheers! Shocky

Re: Atomic G too much sun?

Yes! Leaving electronic appliances in direct sunlight can damage them. In most manuals you will see a note that talks about the values of temperature you should not expose them to. Charging up in direct sunlight should only take a few minutes. Your watch will charge up under any kind of light - be it a sunny day, a cloudy one or even just a light bulb. Read the manual which will explain how long the watch will take to charge under different lighting conditions.

Oh and welcome to the forum ;)

Hi digitalxn -

Opps! Thanks for the warning. I'll be careful in future. I just figured an hour would be OK seeing as it was it's first proper 'sunlight' charge and of course it being a G-Shock n' all

Shocky

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

:oops: is your watch still okay?
    I always leave my watch by the window at night to sync and remove it in the morning, fortunately there's not so many sunny days here in SEATTLE
    I agree with Digitalxni, too much sunlight = damage . You dont really need to charge the watch in direct sunlight (though it charges faster), indoor lights still do jobs.
    Best regards!

Yeah the watch seems OK phew! but I'll keep it away from the windowsill from now on.

But it's made me think of a few examples of potential 'watch-burn' (TM)

Riding a bike/motorbike in the sun - With your hands on the handlebars the watch is directly facing the sun - I've been on rides longer than an hour!

Sunbathing?!!

Driving a car even!

eek!

Welcome to the forum.

High heat is usually bad for any electronics. I would hope that G-Shocks could take that level on occasion without any major long term problems though.

I like a nice cloudy day for setting my solars outside. Not much heat and they charge up nicely.

Someone also put them in water and then set them out in the sun. I thought that seemed to be a decent idea.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

As has been said, the manual does warn against this.

As Jeff says, the glass of water idea is a decent idea.

Better still, don't do anything, just be patient. Normal wear will do the job.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Left my solars in bright (no clouds) sunlight to charge them and got distracted with a much more important issue. Some of the G's looked 'burnt' and I feared the worse but a few hours of indoor cooling restored them again and they are all functioning as new but for me a lesson learned......

Picture Re: Atomic G too much sun?

They will recover from over exposure to sunlight, beyond 60C (140F) the LCD will begin to discolour and turn black, biggest concern is the battery, at these temperatures you are at the upper limit of the capacitor (battery), beyond this you will damage the cell, and are into the safety margin.

If this does happen to your solar just remove the watch from direct sunlight and allow it to cool to room temperature

I find people are overly concerned over the power level indicator; do you worry about your automatic’s spring being at full tension? Do you check the battery capacity after a drive in the car? See where I am going, just wear them and enjoy them for what they are

It can take fair time to charge the capacitor in the solar "G`s" & Protreks, indirect sunlight is the fastest method, if one of my Protreks drops a level it can take up to a week of indirect sunlight to push it back up. It takes the watch much longer to charge from M to H than from C to L or L to M, even when the power indicator reaches H the battery will continue to charge until full, which may take several more days. The capacity of the capacitor`s vary; Frogman ML-2016 cells are a huge, 30mAh versus Protrek`s CTL-1616 at 18mAh and can take a seriously long time to reach full charge and equally discharge.

Be thankful it’s not a “Raysman” with it’s ML2020 at 45mAh!!! or you would be in for the long haul

When was in more northerly climbs, it was common for my Protrek`s to spend the winter with the power indicator sitting on M, once the spring and short sleeves arrived the would once again drift up to H. I leave all my solar`s pointing towards the window, out of the direct sunlight, and they all reach H sooner or later

Q-6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information