Atomic synch and position of sun

Thread: Atomic synch and position of sun

Atomic synch and position of sun

Hello,
    first post of long time lurker. For christmas I got a GW-056 which I have been very happy with. I live in Trondheim, Norway and I think this is quite close to the borderline for atomic synch shown on the maps from Casio. However, when I have put the watch close to a window facing south, it has synched almost every night since December, until a few weeks ago. Now it synchs perhaps once a week and I was wondering if this related to the early sunrise in Trondheim at summer. When it is DST, the watch automatic synchs at 03.00 and this is approximately the same time as the sun rises (sunrise at 02.59 and sunset at 23.41 today). If the watch fails to synch it will try again the next night at 01:00 and lately it seems that the watch synchs more easily at 01.00 than at 03.00, perhaps because it is then still two hours to sunrise?

Could the synch problems be due to the position of the sun or is this just coincidental and there are some other atmospheric conditions that influence the reception? Or is my watch just getting tired?

Any ideas?

regards,
    Rune

Re: Atomic synch and position of sun

Welcome to the merry band! It seems logical to me that it's the sun that's causing your problems, you'll have a lot more idea when it gets past mid-summer next week and the days start drawing in again, it should then settle down a bit.

Nice to see you here, Trondheim is a lovely place, I had the good fortune to visit there many years ago when I was in the army and I loved the area.
    "The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

Re: Atomic synch and position of sun

Yes, hopefully the reception will be better when the nights get longer. Nice to hear that you liked Trondheim, it can certainly be very beautiful, at least when the weather is good

Thread Information