atomic syncing

Thread: atomic syncing

atomic syncing

just wondering why it's so slow? you would think it would get a singla with the time and pretty quickly sync by the manual and my gw-2000 say it takes about 5-10 minutes sometimes.

whats the syncing process like and why is it so slow?

Re: atomic syncing

Quote Originally Posted by reemas View Post
    just wondering why it's so slow? you would think it would get a singla with the time and pretty quickly sync by the manual and my gw-2000 say it takes about 5-10 minutes sometimes.

whats the syncing process like and why is it so slow?

hello. the sync signal is transmitted, in the us, on the longwave frequency of 60khz. the encoding modulation, by carrier wave, delivers one bit of information every second. there are 60 bits in the wwvb timecode, so it takes 1 full minute to transmit the whole message. now since the watch wants to hear a 'whole' timestamp, you can see how casio would say at minimum 2 minutes or more likely 3 minutes would be required to receive an unfragmented broadcast. from there it is easy to just write '5 minutes' so that the anxious user doesn't fiddle with the watch during reception.

more information
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

also why does the slightest movement affect the reception and start the process over? i would have thought it would work like a radio or cell phone?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by reemas View Post
    also why does the slightest movement affect the reception and start the process over? i would have thought it would work like a radio or cell phone?
    It doesn't, necessarily. Every atomic G that I've had has synced while I'm walking about or otherwise moving my arm. It depends on the quality of the signal.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I've only had mine 2 days, but each night it's synced even on the floor in the middle of the room, and manual sync is on L3 and takes 2-3 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    I've only had mine 2 days, but each night it's synced even on the floor in the middle of the room, and manual sync is on L3 and takes 2-3 mins.
    what's L3?

Reception/signal strength. Goes from L1 (weakest) to L3 (strong).

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    Reception/signal strength. Goes from L1 (weakest) to L3 (strong).
    oh i have the GW-2000 so i dont think my watch has that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It doesn't, necessarily. Every atomic G that I've had has synced while I'm walking about or otherwise moving my arm. It depends on the quality of the signal.
    Yes precisely, and in addition for those of you not familiar with this type of radio wave, it's a bit more affected by weather. Therefore the quality of the signal as referenced here by Tribe is a bit more variable as opposed to other radio signals.

Not to mention the long distances involved for some of us. I'm located 1269 miles from the Fort Collins Broadcasting Station and there are some nights when the four atomics I have will sync quite easily. Then there are other nights when they do not. The interesting aspect, which validates the signal quality that we are talking about, is that none of them sync or all of them sync depending on the signal quality. In my experience which is quite limited thus far, my G's will sync if I'm moving around or not. They either do or they don't and most of the time, I would say in the three months I've had them they've successfully synced about 90% of the time. And when they do not, it seems that it's just one evening, unless the weather is very heavy.

So that's just my take on it. Your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post

hello. the sync signal is transmitted, in the us, on the longwave frequency of 60khz. the encoding modulation, by carrier wave, delivers one bit of information every second. there are 60 bits in the wwvb timecode, so it takes 1 full minute to transmit the whole message. now since the watch wants to hear a 'whole' timestamp, you can see how casio would say at minimum 2 minutes or more likely 3 minutes would be required to receive an unfragmented broadcast. from there it is easy to just write '5 minutes' so that the anxious user doesn't fiddle with the watch during reception.

more information
    Thanks a-Tom-ic !

I enjoyed your great contribution on this topic and the link.

Cheers...

Thread Information