Atomic Time Not Working
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Atomic Time Not Working

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Atomic Time Not Working

Question, I have 8 atomic time G-Shocks and I keep them in a bathroom with a skylight so that they keep solar charged. For the past 4 years I have kept any of them that I am not wearing in there 24/7 and they always, without fail, reset overnight. As of July 3rd they are not setting at all. I have moved some of them, worn some of them and tried another area of the house, they still don't time set. I have had 2 of them reset on different nights, once and others within inches not set at all. I am in the USA, Arizona and I assume the time signal comes from the Denver area. As I said, always worked in the past. Has there been some problem with the time signals in the western states? Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: Atomic Time Not Working

San Diego wearer here; and I've had the same hit and miss synchs since the 4th too...

Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

I would say it sounds like there's a new source of interference nearby, such as a cell phone tower or even a misbehaving home wireless device. However, that wouldn't explain STEELINOX's problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have ypu checked the weather lately?

There are huge cells of severe thunderstorms passing through between you in Arizona and the transmitter in Colorado.

When good weather returns, so will your reliable syncing.

HTH
    rogerlike likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I gave some thought to the weather too. However, the large thunderstorms this time of year are a regular occurance in the same mountain regions and it has not had an impact in the past, or not a noticable one.
    I also am not aware of any new cell towers around and if there is a new wireless router nearby it is something I would see on my notebook. My router is the same, I have not made any changes.
    Last night one of my watches synched, 7 did not. I happened to wake up at 1 AM and had worn a GW5600 to bed and looked at it when I woke up. It was in the synch mode, recieving with 3 bars. I went back to sleep. It had not synched even though it had max signal strength.
    I am still baffled why they all stopped the same day, the 3rd. I will continue to seek a cause. Thanks for the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill J View Post
    I gave some thought to the weather too. However, the large thunderstorms this time of year are a regular occurance in the same mountain regions and it has not had an impact in the past, or not a noticable one.
    I also am not aware of any new cell towers around and if there is a new wireless router nearby it is something I would see on my notebook. My router is the same, I have not made any changes.
    Last night one of my watches synched, 7 did not. I happened to wake up at 1 AM and had worn a GW5600 to bed and looked at it when I woke up. It was in the synch mode, recieving with 3 bars. I went back to sleep. It had not synched even though it had max signal strength.
    I am still baffled why they all stopped the same day, the 3rd. I will continue to seek a cause. Thanks for the inputs.
    Have you been wearing green socks since the 3rd?

When researching the cause of an observed effect, engineers are cautioned to assure that the cause they assign to the effect is direct and repeatable. The traditional example given for an incorrect diagnosis is the engineer that attributed the observed effect to the fact that he had been wearing green socks - although correlative, obviously not the true root cause.

Based on the many flash flood warnings that have been issued in Nevada, Utah and Colorado since the 3rd, my money is still on the weather.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

My watches still sync very nicely, but my Atomic wall mounted weather station has been hit or miss for a month or so now. I've had it for five years and previously it hasn't missed syncing since I've had it. It's like every other night at best that it syncs. New batteries haven't helped the situation.

I haven't been able to correlate it with the weather. No new construction in my residential neighborhood. My daughter will soon receive her PhD. and by the end of the year will be working at NIST, Boulder. Perhaps she can advise, although she's not technically privy to much right now. NIST has pretty high security; even for those chosen few who work, or will work there.
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

NIST contact information:

Contacting NIST
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I'm sure NIST would have realized by now if there were a problem with the transmission itself, so I would definitely bet on the weather. Where I live, syncing is always more spotty during the summer months and, I think, when a warm front has recently passed through (though that last one is a little harder to correlate). As I understand it, radio frequencies such as short wave, or that used by the NIST time broadcast are able to achieve their immense range by reflecting off of the upper layers of the atmosphere, so I'm sure the weather would have an effect on their range.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I went to the NIST sitte and found that they are replacing some antennaes and that could possibly be a contributing factor. This has been ongoing since mid-June and runs through this week. So, there definately is a signal but it may be weaker than desired or as stong as it was last month. I hope it gets back to normal soon. I know there are lots of Waveceptor Casios out there. Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information