attn vintage G fans i have a module 240 in need of some help.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Davidro
  • 1 Post By Davidro
  • 3 Post By Nurse.IT

Thread: attn vintage G fans i have a module 240 in need of some help.

Unhappy attn vintage G fans i have a module 240 in need of some help.

i wasnt sure where to post this as im seeking a part but it is a very tiny and probably irreplaceable one. basically a few years ago i was attempting to change the batteries in my DW-5400 and DW-5700's respectively, i was able to replace the battery and o-ring gasket on the 5700 no problem but as i was disassembling the module of the 5400 a very tiny spring jumped out and i was never able to find it in my carpet(it had to have been no larger than 1-3mm). so its been sitting disassembled in my desk drawer ever since and id like to get the old girl up and running again, a big problem is not only have i lost the spring but its been so long since it happened im not even exactly sure where the spring came from anymore. so im here hat in hand wondering if anyone has experience with the older modules or even a schematic of the 240 disassembled so i may locate the location of the lost spring, and then ill still of course have to source another spring. im sure this sounds like searching for a needle in a haystack to most of you but if anyone can offer any info pertaining to this it would be greatly appreciated. i would also be willing to send it somewhere to have it repaired if anyone knows of a reputable watch-smith with vintage G-shock expertise. thank you for any help you may be able to offer.
    "Far out, in the uncharted backwaters at the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of a galaxy, lies a small unregarded yellow sun. orbiting this at a distance of roughly 92 million miles
    is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."
    The Hitchhikers Guide

Re: attn vintage G fans i have a module 240 in need of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadien View Post
    ...and then ill still of course have to source another spring.
    Quite often the springs that go missing from inside G-Shocks are "just" the alarm spring, which means the watch will still (mostly) work as designed but just won't "beep" when it's supposed to.

This won't help with the installation location, but here's a relatively easy, and often-recommended way to "make" a replacement spring for the inside of a G-Shock! Just take an old springbar and cut or break it open and remove the long, narrow diameter spring inside, then cut it to approximately the length of the missing spring.

Once you have a replacement spring, and IF the 5400 has a small, thin, plastic or rubber piece that fits between the module and caseback it should be easier to figure out where it goes, since the alarm spring usually fits through a tiny hole in that piece so it touches the caseback when the watch is closed. (I've never taken apart a screwback G, so it's possible those don't have that extra piece.)

im pretty sure the alarm spring is still there this was an even smaller spring that fell out when i pulled the module chip out of the black rubber enclosure underneath where the battery goes. when i look at it now i see a tiny tiny hole on the top left corner of the chip(i would post pics of the module but i dont own a good camera). im pretty sure this is the location now i just need to source such a small spring (its like 1/4 mm in diameter) so i think a springbar spring is too big but ill take one apart and see, thanks for the good advice.
    Last edited by cascadien; May 8th, 2015 at 18:11.
    "Far out, in the uncharted backwaters at the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of a galaxy, lies a small unregarded yellow sun. orbiting this at a distance of roughly 92 million miles
    is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."
    The Hitchhikers Guide

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

open your dw5700 and learn from there

is the module still intact ? if so, pop in a new battery and see if it's working, no spring means no sound, no big deal

i would but i gave the DW-5700C to my father after i restored it and changed the battery. are the two modules (240-691) the same in construction?
    The Hitchhikers Guide

Spring here. Notice rubbing inside

you could try dragging a magnet around, see if that picks it up.

or

Not bother with the alarm sping. My DW5000C ( 240 module) doesnt have an alarm spring. I am not too fused about it- saves it from rubbing a hole and spoiling the decal.
    Last edited by Davidro; May 9th, 2015 at 06:48.
    domoon likes this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidro View Post

Spring here. Notice rubbing inside

you could try dragging a magnet around, see if that picks it up.

or

Not bother with the alarm sping. My DW5000C ( 240 module) doesnt have an alarm spring. I am not too fused about it- saves it from rubbing a hole and spoiling the decal.
    i thought the alarm spring was the one pictured in the bottom photo(i still have this spring in my module)? the spring i lost was on the other side of the module underneath the battery and about half the visible springs size. can anyone confirm which spring is for the alarm, because if i can get it working minus the sound that wouldnt be too horrible.
    The Hitchhikers Guide

Nb wrong battery installed
    Hope it helps
    domoon likes this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

I just disassembled my DW5200's module 240 and below are the parts.
    Name:  DSC_1351.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  60.1 KB

From the top row. Battery, battery shield, battery clip, and 4 very tiny screws.
    Bottom row. LCD Part (left small hole contains the alarm spring), circuit board (the back is the battery terminal), battery holder frame.
    There is only one spring which is the alarm spring that can be found near the LCD.
    I did not see any spring at the back of the battery terminal as you were saying.
    Did you disassemble the LCD part?
    Davidro, G-fob and domoon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse.IT View Post
    I just disassembled my DW5200's module 240 and below are the parts.
    Name:  DSC_1351.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  60.1 KB

From the top row. Battery, battery shield, battery clip, and 4 very tiny screws.
    Bottom row. LCD Part (left small hole contains the alarm spring), circuit board (the back is the battery terminal), battery holder frame.
    There is only one spring which is the alarm spring that can be found near the LCD.
    I did not see any spring at the back of the battery terminal as you were saying.
    Did you disassemble the LCD part?
    thank you ever so much from your photos i was able to completly disassemble the module and it turns out the tiny screw i lost was actually one of the ones that screws the battery clasp onto the main module, so i just popped in the new batery and viola it works with sound and everything! im hoping not having that one screw wont compromise the functionality of the watch but so far so good, thanks again to all who offered help especially the ones who were able to post pics!
    Last edited by cascadien; May 9th, 2015 at 18:52.
    The Hitchhikers Guide

Thread Information