Auto daylight savings time problems
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Auto daylight savings time problems

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Auto daylight savings time problems

I have a G-Shock GW-6900BC which is behaving oddly. I setup the daylight savings time to Auto and all of the updates have been ok. When daylight savings time ended last month, the watch didn't automatically update so I set the time manually back 1 hour. Now, whenever the watch updates it advances the time by 1 hour, back to daylight savings time. I cured the problem by turning off the auto update function and now the watch behaves as it should. Did I make a mistake by setting the watch back manually instead of letting the watch do it? The time updates for this watch have been fairly consistent, although it sometimes goes 10 days without updating, other times it's daily.

Re: Auto daylight savings time problems

Do you currently have DST set to on rather than auto? If you adjusted the time on your watch rather than adjusting the DST setting, that could explain what's going on. Just set DST back to auto next time it updates, and the time should be correct. If DST is on auto and you have the correct time zone selected, I don't know what's going on.

No two atomic watches are the same when it comes to auto synchronizing it seems. They have a life all their own. My Riseman didn't synchronized last year on Daylight Savings Time, but it did this year and hasn't since it did this year. While my GW-5600J-1 which synchronizes almost every day and during Daylight Savings Time. Didn't this year, but it has everyday since.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Having the same problem. My GW5600 updated last night, but didn't adjust for the end of DST even though it was set to "AUTO."
    I can manually correct it by turning DST off, but isn't the automatic adjustment kind of the point of having a watch that syncs with the atomic clock?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailfoy View Post
    Having the same problem. My GW5600 updated last night, but didn't adjust for the end of DST even though it was set to "AUTO."
    I can manually correct it by turning DST off, but isn't the automatic adjustment kind of the point of having a watch that syncs with the atomic clock?
    Well I would remind you that the change doesn't occur at midnight. Therefore, wait till it syncs again and if it isn't fixed at that point... Post here again.
    Bailfoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailfoy View Post
    You don't say where you live, but I'm guessing "the UK or Europe" since DST is supposed to end THERE at 01:00 on the "last Sunday in October," which should have been last night.

Did your watch show a successful "receive" last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of the Watch View Post
    Well I would remind you that the change doesn't occur at midnight. Therefore, wait till it syncs again and if it isn't fixed at that point... Post here again.
    There's no place on earth where a) DST is changing and b) where it WASN'T after 2 AM when he posted: The World Clock — Worldwide

Even though the official time change doesn't occur at midnight, many Casio atomic watches DO change to and from DST with the first successful reception of the night! Here in the US, the time doesn't change until 02:00 (and not for another week) but most newer atomic G-Shocks will change over at 0:04 or 0:06 local time.

Most people are asleep at that hour, so they don't notice that their watch is off for a couple of hours twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    You don't say where you live, but I'm guessing "the UK or Europe" since DST is supposed to end THERE at 01:00 on the "last Sunday in October," which should have been last night.

There's no place on earth where a) DST is changing and b) where it WASN'T after 2 AM when he posted: The World Clock — Worldwide

Even though the official time change doesn't occur at midnight, many Casio atomic watches DO change to and from DST with the first successful reception of the night! Here in the US, the time doesn't change until 02:00 (and not for another week) but most newer atomic G-Shocks will change over at 0:04 or 0:06 local time.

Most people are asleep at that hour, so they don't notice that their watch is off for a couple of hours twice a year.
    Well. I'm well aware the time change is at 0200 (worked enough overnights and ended up w/ extra long shifts), w/ that said I wasn't aware G Shocks would simply switch over prior to that. Learn something everyday I suppose.
    Bailfoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

According to this Wikipedia article on WWVB, there are DST announcement bits available. Presumably this is why atomic Casios (and other atomic clocks or watches) can turn DST on or off before the official 2 AM local time changeover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB#D...second_warning

There are two DST announcement bits that let a receiver apply U.S. daylight saving time rules:

• dst_on[0] is set if DST was in effect at the beginning of the current UTC day (00:00 UTC).
    • dst_on[1] is set if DST will be in effect at the end of the current UTC day (24:00 UTC).

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    According to this Wikipedia article on WWVB, there are DST announcement bits available. Presumably this is why atomic Casios (and other atomic clocks or watches) can turn DST on or off before the official 2 AM local time changeover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB#D...second_warning

There are two DST announcement bits that let a receiver apply U.S. daylight saving time rules:

• dst_on[0] is set if DST was in effect at the beginning of the current UTC day (00:00 UTC).
    • dst_on[1] is set if DST will be in effect at the end of the current UTC day (24:00 UTC).
    Exactly -- it's those announcement "bits" PLUS the watch's programming and current home city that determine when the watch actually changes over.

With newer G's and North American home cities, the first "receive" is at midnight local time, but other home city settings result in different receive times -- chart on page 2 of this manual: http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3179.pdf

Thank you all for the informative discussion arising from my question. WUS is such an amazing community; I am constantly impressed by folks' willingness to share.
    With regards to my original question, I am in Mexico city, and managed to manually update twice today (The most reliable spot for me seems to be on the roof of our parked car; I don't know why, but there it is) with DST still set to AUTO. Still showing +1 hour from local time , but I will post an update tomorrow morning, assuming that it will automatically update again overnight. Again, thank you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information