Auto EL problems GW-7900NV (UPDATE)
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Auto EL problems GW-7900NV (UPDATE)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs Down Auto EL problems GW-7900NV (UPDATE)

Hi,

Couple of days ago, I purchased this watch. Couple of days after, I decided to try out the AEL function only to realise that it doesn't work.. It was in a dark room, battery is on M however this should still allow me to use the AEL function. And yes, I made sure that AEL was on. I decided to try to test the TLT function side by side with my Riseman. 8888 appeared on the Riseman, but not the 7900NV :( It's still possible for me to bring it back to the store I bought it from, but is there anything I can do before having to resort to this? As bringing it back requires me to pass it on to someone to do it for me (I've left singapore as I bought it in singapore) hence its a bit of a hassle which is why I'm asking if there's anything I can try out to get it working.

Has anyone else had issues regarding the AEL on the 7900 G Shock? Or any G Shock and got it working?

Thanks for any help!

Will.

UPDATE: Check update post below.
    Last edited by widgydidge; December 25th, 2014 at 16:40. Reason: Update

Re: Auto EL problems GW-7900NV

Yes. It is pretty common for watches that don't get worn a lot. I have found that grabbing the watche'sopen band by the ends so the case is hanging away from your hand and then swinging the case to hit your other hand solidly 10 or so time frees up the small mechanical mechanism for the auto el. Don't be afraid to whack it into the palm of your hand hard, it is a GShock after all, and your palm will protect the resin. I made a video once, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Casio apparently had a problem with a bad batch of microswitches a while back -- there were often problems with the GW-M5610 and (I thought) occasionally some other models: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/two...el-964767.html

People have gotten the switches working by tapping their watches on a solid object like a table or, in one case, by using magnets.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dpeete View Post
    Yes. It is pretty common for watches that don't get worn a lot. I have found that grabbing the watche'sopen band by the ends so the case is hanging away from your hand and then swinging the case to hit your other hand solidly 10 or so time frees up the small mechanical mechanism for the auto el. Don't be afraid to whack it into the palm of your hand hard, it is a GShock after all, and your palm will protect the resin. I made a video once, I'll see if I can dig it up.
    Here is the video: Auto El Bump - dpeete's library
    G-fob and widgydidge like this.

Hi, thanks for the replies!

I gave the watch a fair whack on my palm a couple of times, exactly as described, but couldnt get it working!

I am aware of the same issue with the 5610. I have a 5610R and whilst googling around about it, I came across a thread regarding the same issue with the watch. However, I don't have the issue with my 5610R!

Usually ill be fine with no autoel as I don't use it much, but this watch being a negative display which is relatively quite poor as well, I think it'd be best to have it.

The watch is now back on its way to Singapore for a replacement or exchange for one that works properly. We'll see how we go!

Thanks again,
    Will.

UPDATE:
    So we took the watch back to the store we bought it from at the Bencoolen in Singapore. Upon taking it back, we were told that we could not return or exchange the defective/faulty watch for one that is working... Instead we were told that we needed to send it to casio Singapore to get it repaired under warranty.

Basically, they sold us a faulty watch then told us, its your problem, deal with it. This made me quite angry. Wore it once and didn't drop it, nor bump it at all.

Yes, looking back now, I should have checked the auto el even though it was a brand new in box watch and looked at their or lack there of, exchange policy and not assumed that they were like other shops that would do something if they sold a faulty item.

As said in another thread, I bought it from wins watches at the bencoolen in Singapore.

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say that this was probably a rare occurance and I won't go ahead and say not to buy from their shop. The last thing I want though is for another forumer to go through what I have to go through now. If buying from their shop, check the watch is completely working! You won't be able to return or exchange. You'll have to 'deal with it' on your own if the watch you buy is faulty.

They've lost a customer completely though in me as this is enough to put me off buying from them anymore and possibly any of the other bencoolen shops as I imagine they'd be similar. They offer low prices, but with that, you get what you pay for.. no service.

Time to go and 'deal with it'.

Will.
    Last edited by widgydidge; December 25th, 2014 at 16:43.

I had same problem; EL Light working and then stopped. After a Google it on that subject i found it is very common problem on GW-7900 model in general.
    In the past year i had 3 G/GW-7900 models and gave up on them completely. At first u think after spending $75-$100 u getting multiband 6 watch but it is not worth a headache.
    So it is only one out of nearly 60 models that failed on me .
    I never had Gulfman but they are look the same. It cost more, but i think Gulfman is better choice if u looking to choose one out of them two.
    Name:  1314008981.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  1.02 MB
    RHJones likes this.
    WE WANT MORE!

Re: Auto EL problems GW-7900NV (UPDATE)

Hey mate,

oh wow.. sorry to hear that man! 3 of them!? Yea I'm starting to think the same.. might flip this one when its completely repaired by casio (and yes I will state its been repaired) for a gulfman and be done with it. Gulfys fit the wrist better too. Pity because the colour scheme on this 7900 is awesome! I have a preference for positive displays too. This one isn't for me.

Cheerio,
    Will.
    Last edited by widgydidge; December 26th, 2014 at 01:55.

FWIW: both GW9110's I had showed a sticking auto-el. The video I posted above striking a watch is one of those Gulfman. I didn't notice the issue until I traded a brand new, never used Gulfie that sat for a few years. The forum member I traded with asked me about it and I found my personal Gulfie, which also mostly sat in a watchbox also had a stuck auto-el. We found on both watches that several sharp strikes got it working again.
    Last edited by dpeete; December 26th, 2014 at 04:24.
    widgydidge likes this.

After the strikes, was the autoel completely working again or was it intermittent?
    Thanks again for your reply!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information