AWG-101 landed!

Thread: AWG-101 landed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AWG-101 landed!

Direct from Casio USA in New Jersey and it's not even September yet! I'll post some picutres when I get home tonight, but here's a quick and dirty reivew:

- LED is amber and shines up from the 6:00 mark
    - Strap is good and long (my major complaint about the AWG-500 was that the strap was too short)
    - The metal part of the bezel is a dark, almost blue or purple tone - very nice and stealthy
    - The hands retain some of the style elements of the AWG-500 while at the same time showcasing an overall new design - very nice
    - The watch came with no hang tags or anything special - just the standard G-Shock box with the watch wrapped in a plastic bag
    - It's cased in Thailand with a Japanese movement
    - The watch face indicates WR20BAR vs. 200M

So far, so good. I did notice that the seconds subdial seems to be a bit off center if you look straight on - that always bothers me, so I may try to move the module around a bit, but short of that, this is another fine G-Shock example. The AWG-101 will be fighting my new all black GS-1000 for wrist time, that's for sure!

Wink Re: AWG-101 landed!

Hi Oldspice,

You made me curious. I'm looking forward to the pictures. I like the amber LED lighted displays.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: AWG-101 landed!

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

questions:

-- how's the strap, soft?
    -- reverse displays at all readable?
    -- does the backlight illuminate the tiny reversed displays?
    -- any lume on those skeleton hands?

cheers
    Go Dortmund!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

PICS!!! The AWG-101 shown with the GS-1000, the AWG-500, and the PAW-1300 for size comparisons.

And, FreeDiver, to answer your questions: the strap is very soft, on a par with the GS-1000, but a little thicker. The reverse display is pretty readable - no better or worse than any of the other reverse displays I have. The LED backlight really only helps with reading the hands, a small issue I've had with all LED-enabled G's (except for the GW-1600, fantastic LED placement and readability!). And, yes both hands are lumed (although with Casio's famously weak lume). The top half of the hour hand is all lume and the small insert on the minute hand is lumed.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!

great pix, thanks! it looks like a junior G next to the pathfinder
    Go Dortmund!

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    great pix, thanks! it looks like a junior G next to the pathfinder
    Yeah, no kidding. Most everything looks like a Jr. G next to any of the Pathfinders!

An interesting thing about the AWG-101 is that the upper right button only activates the LED and does not reverse cycle through options (world time, time, date, etc.) like the bezel indicates. When cycling through options, you can only use the lower right button to go forward. Hmmmm.........

Quote Originally Posted by oldspice View Post
    The AWG-101 shown with the GS-1000, the AWG-500, and the PAW-1300 for size comparisons.
    oldspice,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I have been waffling for a while about a new daily wear watch. The side-by-side with the GS-1000 was just what I needed to make a decision on a watch to succeed my current daily watch. Right now I wear a steel mechanical day/date, with a white face and tan leather strap - this is going to be a big change!

Quote Originally Posted by M. Rhoten View Post
    oldspice,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I have been waffling for a while about a new daily wear watch. The side-by-side with the GS-1000 was just what I needed to make a decision on a watch to succeed my current daily watch. Right now I wear a steel mechanical day/date, with a white face and tan leather strap - this is going to be a big change!
    Glad to help. So what's the new daily watch going to be, the AWG-101 or a GS-1000? Too hard to decide? Get both!

Ah, but by just getting one, I can help fund other hobbies :)

I'm going with the GS-1000. They both look great though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information