AWG100-1A Glow in the dark?

Thread: AWG100-1A Glow in the dark?

AWG100-1A Glow in the dark?

Hello all,

I have AWG100-1A (http://www.watchzworld.com/images/awg100-1aL.jpg) and am confused about the glow in the dark functions.
    It doesn't glow in the dark all the time. Sometimes it would glow very brightly, sometimes slightly and there are times when it doesn't even glow at all. It SEEMS AS if it only glows (in the dark) after a good amount of time exposed out in the sun prior to entering a dark room. If that's how it operates... no comment.

Please, any tips will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Re: AWG100-1A Glow in the dark?

That's generally how luminescence works - the longer the exposure the better the luminiescence. And Casio isn't known for having particularly effective luminescence.

Welcome to the forum!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Oh.. so there are no watches that have tips glow in the dark permanently?

Thank you :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hands with tritium paint or tritium tubes will glow in the dark without having to be charged by an external source (such as sunlight). Tritium has a half life of approximately 12 years.
    I believe that you cannot get these on Japanese watches because of import restrictions.

You might find this link useful

Tritium illumination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers

Dave

The 'glow' of the AWG-100 is through the use of phosphorescent paint - a substance that will 'charge' in bright light, and then glow for a period after that.

Sadly Casio are not really known for the strength or longevity of the glow in the dark paint they use - look to a watch like a Seiko diver and you will get a much, much brighter glow that will easily last the night if charged beforehand. Casio do know this though, and handily often give us an LED light to illuminate the hands to let you tell the time in darkness.

The alternative to phosphorescent paint is the use of tritium (h3) vials - a low grade radioactive gas that combined with a phosphor coated vial emits light continuously and with a half life of 12 years (so after 12 years, the vials will have dimmed by half). Tritium is nowhere near as common as phosphorescent paint though, and definitely not in any of the Casio G Shocks...

Thread Information