AWG100 refuses to pick up radio signal

Thread: AWG100 refuses to pick up radio signal

AWG100 refuses to pick up radio signal

I have an AWG-100 that's about a year and a half old now. It's recently been daylight savings time and it has not picked up a radio signal. I've tried manually telling it to pick up the radio signal multiple times at different times throughout the day (morning, afternoon, night) and in different areas (inside, outside, in a car). I am having no luck getting this to pick up a radio signal.. so, is it broken which I assume it is?

Or is it just super stubborn?

And what gshocks are best at picking up radio signal for calibration - are there some that are better than others?

Miami, Florida - United States of America

Re: AWG100 refuses to pick up radio signal

Hello topslop1,

Take a look at these coverage maps to see if you are within the range at the specific time that you are trying to pick up the signal manually:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm

Also be aware that there are outtages, planned or not, that happen:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwvboutages.htm

and here is a current readability of the WWVB (atomic time transmission) time code in the continental United States of America:

http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/wwvbmonitor_e.cgi

and here is a basic troubleshooting tips that the National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST - USA) has put together to help us troubleshoot issues with atomic time radio transmission receivers as our Casio watches:

What to Do When They Donít Work

NIST provides the signal received by your radio controlled clock, but we cannot provide technical support for the clocks themselves. We didnít manufacture them, and we are not familiar with all the models or all of their features. We recommend that you save the instruction sheet that came with your clock, so you can refer to in the future if necessary. Having said that, we can offer a few general tips about what to do if your radio controlled clock isnít displaying the correct time.
    My clock doesnít synchronize at all

Most WWVB radio controlled clocks work great, as evidenced by the hundreds of thousands of units that have been sold throughout the United States. However, if your radio clock or receiver isn't working, we suggest:
    If your clock uses batteries, check them and replace if necessary.

• If you have a desk top unit, try rotating it 90 degrees. If you have a wall clock try mounting it on a wall perpendicular to the one it is currently on (e.g. if it is on a north-south wall try an east-west wall). The antennas are directional and you might be able to improve the signal strength by turning the antenna.
    • Place the clock along a wall or near a window that faces Fort Collins, Colorado.
    • Locate the clock at least 1 or 2 meters away from any computer monitors, which can cause interference (some monitors have a scan frequency at or near the WWVB carrier frequency of 60 kHz).
    • If nothing else works, take the clock outdoors at night and power it down (remove the batteries or unplug it), then power it up again to force it to look for the WWVB signal. If it works outdoors but not indoors, you probably have a local interference problem inside your house or building. If it doesnít work outdoors at night, its probably best to return it and try a different model.
    • The shielding provided by a metal building might prevent the clock from working. For example, if you live in a mobile home or a house with steel siding, the clock might not work.
    • If you think your clock is defective, ask the manufacturer or dealer about obtaining a replacement.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Urashima Taro; November 5th, 2009 at 16:43.
    --
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

hi ut, just wanted to say 'thanks' for that four point reception quality link. i've read most of what i can find about wwvb online but hadn't seen that page before. cool!
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Miami, Florida - United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    hi ut, just wanted to say 'thanks' for that four point reception quality link. i've read most of what i can find about wwvb online but hadn't seen that page before. cool!
    No problem; glad to be of service here at WUS!
    --
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Thread Information