Backlighting/LED Tech/EL Display developments...
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Backlighting/LED Tech/EL Display developments...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backlighting/LED Tech/EL Display developments...

Something struck me the other day as I was wearing my B5000...is it me or has backlight technology stagnated since...well forever it feels like lol. I mean when I was a kid, we had micro bulbs on the PCB, then LED's and then indiglo/EL backlights came out. I'm just saying in a world where we have RGB everything, from computer parts to car parts; how is it that the most up to date illumination remains basically the same? I just feel like at this point, we should have dimmable backlights that light up evenly, perhaps in different shades (imagine a white backlight during the daytime hours and a red backlight during the overnight) and of course with better efficiency.

Or am I just being a pain in the butt lol?

Re: Backlighting/LED Tech/EL Display developments...

Actually, one of the best watch lights I ever saw was a fake G7900! It was really bright, lit the whole screen, and, you could scroll the setting through about 6 different colours. I often wondered why the genuine manufactures never did something similar.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

One of my favourite topics! Here's few ideas. Someone please implement these!

1. Light pipe to increase the contrast/glow level of negative displays during the day - so that the pics we see look like that IRL!

2. A strong Glow in the Dark layer behind the LCD screen, which can be powered up by the LED(s) already in place. I mean, this already happens, but only as a byproduct. There is already a reflective layer, to spread out the light from the LED. Drives me nuts that they don't just put in GITD tape instead. It's just as reflective, and has benefits! Passive lighting, ftw! Also, only the green GITD tape is really strong enough to use, despite the new blue superluminova being just fine. Darn!

3. Solar sensors which can adjust the lighting, and power it too. So the display is always readable. You could program it so that it is inactive during sleep hours, change it for weekends, override it, etc.

4. If you could control the lighting of individual pixels in a display, you could have an alarm that flashes the most important information (and have it vibrate too, but that's another topic), such as barometric warnings, sunrise/moonrise/tide alerts, incoming e-mail or missiles, etc.

I like pictures, so here's a recent mod, which is vastly inferior to what the manufacturers could do, if they so wished:

Name:  P1110161.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  508.5 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Power consumption is a big factor with G-shocks, or lack thereof. If we're looking at the solar models, they can go for months without recharging while basic battery models can go years without a new battery. Fancy backlights and lighting methods consume a lot of power, especially when you're talking about increasing brightness. The LCD/AMOLED and backlight of most smart watches consume a lot of power and significantly contribute to the short battery life of their rechargeable battery. Reducing backlight brightness, whether with EL or LED backlights, helps to reduce power consumed and besides, at night you don't want a bright backlight anyway since your eyes will probably have been accustomed to the lack of ambient light.

Quote Originally Posted by kevio View Post
    Power consumption is a big factor with G-shocks, or lack thereof. If we're looking at the solar models, they can go for months without recharging while basic battery models can go years without a new battery. Fancy backlights and lighting methods consume a lot of power, especially when you're talking about increasing brightness. The LCD/AMOLED and backlight of most smart watches consume a lot of power and significantly contribute to the short battery life of their rechargeable battery. Reducing backlight brightness, whether with EL or LED backlights, helps to reduce power consumed and besides, at night you don't want a bright backlight anyway since your eyes will probably have been accustomed to the lack of ambient light.
    not really the case with the gpw, pretty sure they use one for the bat signal
    kubr1ck, CADirk and kevio like this.
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

I had a Skmei I bought for the kids on Amazon that could change 5 or 6 different colors, not sure why a $12 watch can offer it but the big name guys do not.
    Adam020 likes this.

5. A switchable display. Nite mode display: a large single digit in the middle, surrounded by a circle made of thick segments, 5 minutes wide. That way, a glow in the dark mod would be readable all night long, to a precision of ± 5 minutes.

Inspired by a recent acquisition/gitd-mod of the TRT-110H-1, which has a positive display, and a positive display back light (background lit, numbers dark). While the glow is visible all night long, the numbers cannot be read after about 15 minutes. But LARGE numbers, would be legible, and of course, position is always visible.

Name:  P1110200-r400.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  115.1 KB
    Last edited by zabat; August 12th, 2019 at 01:03. Reason: wrong point designation
    brandon\ likes this.

I appreciate the enthusiasm for updated led/lighting in this thread, but the reality is that companies do what is profitable to them. They are focused primarily on smart watches and the like, updating the tech on a product that has become largely niche', does not help their bottom line.

I drive a manual transmission car (refuse to drive anything else), which has become a rarity... something most people don't do and don't want anymore. The auto industry has no interest in furthering any tech when it comes to the manual trans, because nobody is buying them. It's a D*A*M*N shame, but that's how it is. (Potential)Profit furthers innovation.
    brandon\ and DaBigDogg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    not really the case with the gpw, pretty sure they use one for the bat signal
    The light on the GPW-2000 is designed to light the dial, the face of the user, the room it's in and for signalling airplanes.
    Probably the reason it's a pilot's watch, to lure planes.

On topic, the LED backlight is more one sided/point lighting, but silent. The EL backlight, like used in the GW-M5610 makes a whistling noise when activated.
    Last edited by CADirk; August 12th, 2019 at 07:39.
    Tetsu Tekubi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by babyivan View Post
    I appreciate the enthusiasm for updated led/lighting in this thread, but the reality is that companies do what is profitable to them. They are focused primarily on smart watches and the like, updating the tech on a product that has become largely niche', does not help their bottom line.

I drive a manual transmission car (refuse to drive anything else), which has become a rarity... something most people don't do and don't want anymore. The auto industry has no interest in furthering any tech when it comes to the manual trans, because nobody is buying them. It's a D*A*M*N shame, but that's how it is. (Potential)Profit furthers innovation.
    But see; outside of the (no offense meant here) nostalgia of manually shifting there have been improvements. For the most part, DSG transmissions can provide a superior shift to a human shift which would translate to a performance boost. I mean off topic, what more improvements *can* be made in stickshifts lol?
    babyivan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information