bad MTG900???

Thread: bad MTG900???

bad MTG900???

Well..... speaking of solar.....
    I've had the MTG900 for about 2 years now. As I mentioned in another thread, it had recently started acting up (couple of weeks ago). After letting the snooze alarm go off about 4 times one morning, I grabbed it and hit the light button, only to be greeted by a black face. When I got up and turned the light on, the watch was indicating a medium battery level (M), so i assumed it had gone to low (L) temporarily and I didn't catch it, and that was the reason the light wouldn't work. So, I left it in the window in the sun for about 5 days straight. Not direct sunlight, since the window was on the opposite side of the house as the sun. But anyway, the battery, over that time, went firmly to high (H).

So for the last two nights, I've used it as my alarm clock again, with it going through the full 7-alarm-snooze-cycle yesterday morning, and about 5 this morning --- yeah.... I'm kinda lazy getting out of bed some mornings... or most.... anyway. After the 5th alarm, I hit the light button, only to be greeted with a dark face again. Hmmmm....

So I grab my headlamp off the nightstand and turn it on the watch, only to see that the battery is reading H, but the indicator next to "RECOVER" is flashing in time with the snooze indicator. And of course, as I cycle through to turn off the snooze alarm, no mode-change tone.

Still dark outside and in the room, drop it on the dresser, hit the shower. Come out, still dark enough that the other solar watches are still asleep, but the MTG now is out of RECOVER, still reading H battery. What the????

So... is the module going bad, or is the battery bad? Worth trying a new battery? If the concensus is yes, any particularly good places to get the battery?

If I can get a battery for a decent price, IF it IS just the battery, then no worries (other than the fun of changing it). I've used the heck out of this watch, probably more than any other, just because I have used the snooze a LOT. More than I could dream on a non-solar. I would have hoped it would have lasted longer, though, since it never went below full charge except twice in the two years (once just two weeks ago). BUT, whatever. It has served me well.

So.... thoughts? Recommendations?

EDIT: So I did a search for CTL1616 looking for a source, and found a couple of WUS threads on how a CTL1616 wearing out (or going bad?) exhibits similar symptoms.

Too bad the CTL1616 is pretty short lived. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how a battery-powered G would last with this usage. I think I'm going to have to test that out. I'll put a new CTL1616 in the MTG900 (if/when I find one), then start using it and a non-solar with snooze for wake-ups (my wife is going to kill me). See which one lasts longer.
    Last edited by dogboy; August 25th, 2009 at 22:59.

Re: bad MTG900???

I believe this model has essentially the same module as the GW-500 which was once known for exhibiting similar problems. A new battery might fix it, but it's hard to be sure.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Re: bad MTG900???

Yeah... that's what I'm starting to think after reading even more about it.
    Real shame. Both watches (900 and 500) are pretty good watches....

Thread Information