Band Discoloration G-9101K...Help!

Thread: Band Discoloration G-9101K...Help!

Band Discoloration G-9101K...Help!

I purchased a G-9101K 2008 Dolphin & Whale Eco-Research Network G-Shock a few months back. This limited edition watch is pretty rare (from what I've seen) and goes for around $200.00.

The clear band has become discolored (a rosy brown...almost skin toned) and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to restore a clear band to it's origional clear color? I spoke to a Casio rep and they said that a clear band can pick up oils in your skin, turning the band this color and to use a soft soap to try clearing it up. This didn't work.

Anyone with any useful tips to get a clear band back to its original form would be of great help to me or where I could purchase this rare band to replace the one I have.

Re: Band Discoloration G-9101K...Help!

Quote Originally Posted by sopaw21 View Post
    I purchased a G-9101K 2008 Dolphin & Whale Eco-Research Network G-Shock a few months back. This limited edition watch is pretty rare (from what I've seen) and goes for around $200.00.

The clear band has become discolored (a rosy brown...almost skin toned) and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to restore a clear band to it's origional clear color? I spoke to a Casio rep and they said that a clear band can pick up oils in your skin, turning the band this color and to use a soft soap to try clearing it up. This didn't work.

Anyone with any useful tips to get a clear band back to its original form would be of great help to me or where I could purchase this rare band to replace the one I have.
    Unfortunately you've found the dark side to "jelly" bands and bezels. They discolour after time. I believe it's a chemical reaction that turns it a different colour and although you can slightly reverse the discolouration with various methods, I've never heard of anybody completely restoring one.

You basically have two options:

- Buy a new band but as you say, it's rare and not easy to find
    - Dye the resin a different colour as most people do... involves boiling it with something such as RIT Dye and using one or a combo of colours to create a colour you'd like.

There's a few threads with how-to's for this.

Re: Band Discoloration G-9101K...Help!

I would echo the previous post as well; the band and bezel of rare models in general (particularly jellies) will not be found unless you are extremely lucky. Best to purchase a few extra sets along with the new one and keep them sealed up if possible, until the original rots away or gets yellowed. I'd also recommend getting seals, screws etc. stored for the same reason. It's the nature of rare items to be scarce so get them while you can.

Fortunately you have an alternative at least until the rot sets in; buy some RIT dye in a color darker than the current condition and boil the resin as shown in various posts. You may get away with a lighter color, try orange or yellow first, if that doesn't work go darker (blue, gray, brown, maroon, green, black) the color you end up with will certainly look better than puke faded yellow brown (post a pic if you can) and will allow you to enjoy wearing it while you can. In the mean time keep an eye out for compatible resin sets, so when that inevitable day comes when your current set crumbles, you can still wear (or sell) your watch.
    Last edited by wristrested; August 10th, 2010 at 18:40.
    Matt

Thread Information