Band Protects From Fall...
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Band Protects From Fall...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Band Protects From Fall...

Just watched a video on g shock durability tests. They mentioned that if you drop the watch on its band, it will cushion the impact...

First of all... all watches will do that...

Second of all... why would you drop your watch from a 10 story building? Mine is always on my wrist....
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

Re: Band Protects From Fall...

I understand that dropping a watch is just a way to compare its strength to other watches.. but when they tell you that the band protects it from impact, makes me wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by Rostislav Persion View Post
    Just watched a video on g shock durability tests. They mentioned that if you drop the watch on its band, it will cushion the impact...

First of all... all watches will do that...

Second of all... why would you drop your watch from a 10 story building? Mine is always on my wrist....
    I think a watch dropped from any significant distance will land more or less face first, due to the case being heavier than the strap (unless it has a heavy metal bracelet). This is the same idea as a slice of bread with peanut butter on it tending to land peanut butter side (heavy side) down.

That said, I can see the resin strap on a G-Shock providing some protection from shocks near the case in normal daily activities.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What the hell is this for??

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  93.0 KB
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

Around here, they're usually referred to as "wings," and they're apparently designed to help the watch fit some people's wrists better. Some people like them, while other people find that they make the fit WORSE -- it really depends on the diameter AND shape of a person's wrist.

Despite what those pictures claim, there's not really any evidence that they're designed to be "shock absorbers."

Here are plenty of threads on the subject -- start reading: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Last edited by Mike K; February 8th, 2016 at 22:05.

Around here, I believe they're generally referred to as "wings." I think their primary purpose is to take up some of the gap when a large G-Shock or Pathfinder/Protrek is worn on a smaller wrist. My G-7900A-4 and PAW-2000 have these wings.

Casio calls the wings on the GD-350 a shock absorber design, and in this instance they're also used to help transmit the vibe alarm to the wearer's arm.
    Mike K and Watch_Geekmaster like this.

The pics are screen shots i got from an official g shock commercial.. they show an animation of the watch falling and landing on the wings...

The pics are screen shots i got from an official g shock commercial.. they show an animation of the watch falling and landing on the wings...
    This sounds like nonsense to me, but I guess Casio can put whatever they want in a commercial.
    Mike K and domoon like this.

I agree with GaryK30 -- the watch falling on the wings sounds more like something the marketing department came up with than anything from the engineering department.

And from the original post, there's no logical reason for anybody to drop a watch of a ten story building. The watch was designed to survive a 10 METER fall -- anything beyond that is just showing off and hoping that the watch won't break. It's much the same as people throwing their watch very hard AT the floor or AT the wall -- and the watches DO break sometimes when people exceed the design parameters.

Just because cars today have bumpers that are supposed to shrug off a 5 MPH impact without damage, most people aren't quite stupid enough to drive into a wall at 30 MPH just to see what happens -- but some of them do pretty much the same thing with their G-Shocks!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Right!

And beside that:
    Remember that the watch has just to handle forces that are present on your wirst.

So while a G-Shock will survive a 10m drop, will your wirst survive too?
    The same applies to test with cars running over it, fire exposure, boiling water, ice and use as a hokey puk.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I agree with GaryK30 -- the watch falling on the wings sounds more like something the marketing department came up with than anything from the engineering department.

And from the original post, there's no logical reason for anybody to drop a watch of a ten story building. The watch was designed to survive a 10 METER fall -- anything beyond that is just showing off and hoping that the watch won't break. It's much the same as people throwing their watch very hard AT the floor or AT the wall -- and the watches DO break sometimes when people exceed the design parameters.

Just because cars today have bumpers that are supposed to shrug off a 5 MPH impact without damage, most people aren't quite stupid enough to drive into a wall at 30 MPH just to see what happens -- but some of them do pretty much the same thing with their G-Shocks!
    Mike K and GaryK30 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information