Battery clips

Thread: Battery clips

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Battery clips

I called up Casio Parts and also Pac Parts, and neither were helpful. I asked them if they sell battery clips separately, and they couldn't tell me. I gave them a recent watch model number as an example and they couldn't find anything listed in parts as a battery clip. So... looks like this is something that is considered as part of the module, not sold separately.

The trouble is, I have a Casio watch with a missing battery clip and need a replacement. I checked a few parts watches as donors, but none of them fit. Any suggestions as to what might be a good substitute?
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: Battery clips

In the past when I have 'lost' the battery clip, I've used a cut end of a paper clip, and 'wedged' it in by closing the back carefully on. Not ideal, nor elegant, but it did work. If you still have the original screw, your options widen slightly as you could fabricate a clip from tin-snipping a 'soda' can and drilling a really small hole in it. (You could even pierce the hole with a bradle) Whatever you end up donig, good luck. It's a real PIA losing this bit!
    Last edited by StephenWatch; December 16th, 2011 at 12:09.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Looks like a good advice. If you follow Stephen (and I would) please show as some pics from the project would ya?

Go Team Bravus!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tips, Stephen. The watch came with the wrong battery clip, as a result of an estate mix-up (original owner apparently screwed up, as the buyer said it was found as-is). I might be able to bend it up to fit... although part of me thinks it might be worth making it available for someone else who needs it (the model number is on the clip). I have a "junk drawer" filled with all kinds of miscellaneous parts, and there might be a chance I could find the right material. A soda can would be too soft, I think. And a soup or vegetable can would be too thick. The real trick is to find a metal that has some good flex to it, but will retain a bend with enough force, just like the original clips.

In any case, if I do fashion something that works, I'll be sure to post about it here (nod to Johnny).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

A soda can would be too soft, I think. And a soup or vegetable can would be too thick.
    You are absolutely right, on thinking, modern soda cans are far too thin. I remember doing this 'fix' when I first strarted pottering around with watches around 30 (ahem..) some years ago. Anyone old enough will know that the cans use to be made of much more sturdy stuff! I even remember what watch I did it for - it was for a Casio 'calulator' watch, which a friend entrusted me to replace the battery. I ham fistedly manged to unscrew the clip fully (I never do that now), and the darn thing sprang for freedom, never to be found again!

If I think of some 'modern day' equivilent, I'll post it. I hope you get it sorted xevious, it's the kind of problem when I was younger I would have spent ages on, now, I'm an old fart and just don't have the patience!!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Two thoughts; if you have a machine shop supply in your area they may carry shim stock in various thickness; you might find one usable. Also a good craft/model shop may have small sheets of brass or aluminum in a usable thickness.

And if you don't mind looking a little tweaky at the store, you might find that smaller and odd size cans of specialty 'energy drink', coffee drinks, etc come in heavier metal cans (please don't squeeze the red bull...). I think those weird aluminum beer bottles are also made of a heavier material. They'll be coated on the inside though, which would have to be dealt with.

duodec, nice idea about the craft shop with sheets of metal or other material that might have "bending" memory. I'll definitely check that out.

FYI, I was able to take the existing "incorrect" battery clip and bend it a bit to fit. The battery now holds sufficiently in place. My TW-7000 is finally functional! I got it for a really great price, because it wasn't working and the owner stated how it wouldn't stay on. It was because the stupid battery clip was incorrect, that's why. The previous owner must have done a few battery changes at once and mixed up the clips, then further exacerbated the problem by not going back and doing the right thing. It was then later sold in an estate sale, where the new owner didn't have a clue. I took a chance, expecting that I'd be left looking for a beater with 548 module inside, and it paid off.
    Last edited by xevious; March 1st, 2012 at 18:28.

Thread Information