Battery issues
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery issues

Hey everyone, I did some work on a G Shock 3230 DW6900MS for my dad's friend. It had some moisture inside from a careless employee at The Bay. When they closed the case up after a battery change the gasket wasn't installed correctly. Part of it was pinched between the case and case back and actually sticking out and moisture eventually got in. I'm not sure of exactly how much got in but when I opened it, it evaporated off the crystal immediately. Anyway, I left the module out for a few days to evaporate any moisture that may have been in it that I couldn't see. Then I put a fresh new battery in, reset the AC, installed a new gasket and sealed it up. Everything was working fine for about two weeks. Then it stopped completely. I got it back and put a new battery in and it's working again for now. When it came to me the first time with moisture in it the battery was dead as well and I was told it was fairly new too. So basically it's going through batteries in like 2 weeks and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why? And how to correct it?

Sorry if this issue has been covered already. I did a preliminary search and obviously couldn't find any answers. As far as I can tell, this model does not have Auto EL which I've read can drain batteries quick.

Thanks in advance

Bill
    Current Collection

Seiko SNZH55
    Poljot Alarm
    Citizen Nighthawk
    Hamilton Traffic Special Pocket Watch (swiss, circa 1960)
    Hamilton 972 RR Grade Pocket Watch Adj 5 Positions (circa 1909)
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Petite Seconde Automatic
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic X-Wind
    Hamilton Khaki Pilot 46mm Automatic
    Stowa Flieger Type B Dial, Manual Wind ETA 2801

Re: Battery issues

Sorry to say but the module is shot.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    solar g-shocker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ruizjaime26 View Post
    Sorry to say but the module is shot.

That's what I was thinking.. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement module? I've looked around a bit and come up blank. Or would it make more sense to just tell my dad's friend to buy a whole new watch? I know they are only about $100 dollars or so.
    Current Collection

Seiko SNZH55
    Poljot Alarm
    Citizen Nighthawk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Barfett View Post
    That's what I was thinking.. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement module? I've looked around a bit and come up blank. Or would it make more sense to just tell my dad's friend to buy a whole new watch? I know they are only about $100 dollars or so.
    Yeah either tell him to buy a whole new watch, or look around on eBay for a parts watch for a new module.

From the first post, it looks like the watch went through ONE battery in two weeks -- did you test the battery before installing it? (I know that I trust the battery sellers and expect a sealed package to mean it's a fresh battery, but multiple threads from members with multimeters show that isn't always the case.)

These modules are pretty basic, and others have survived worse water damage -- like water actually sloshing around inside the case, not just "condensation on the crystal." If it goes dead a second time, or if you're just worried about it doing so, I suggest taking the back off again and making SURE it's dried out completely.

As noted above, modules are no longer available from Casio parts sources like Pacparts.com -- for no apparent reason about two years ago, EVERY module in their catalog went from showing "not in stock, expect 1 -2 weeks for delivery" to "RESTRICTED PART CONTACT FACTORY SERVICE CENTER" in big red letters. IF you do indeed need a new module, you might try contacting Casio about sending the watch in for a new module, but based on other reports here that's likely to cost as much as a new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    From the first post, it looks like the watch went through ONE battery in two weeks -- did you test the battery before installing it? (I know that I trust the battery sellers and expect a sealed package to mean it's a fresh battery, but multiple threads from members with multimeters show that isn't always the case.)

These modules are pretty basic, and others have survived worse water damage -- like water actually sloshing around inside the case, not just "condensation on the crystal." If it goes dead a second time, or if you're just worried about it doing so, I suggest taking the back off again and making SURE it's dried out completely.

As noted above, modules are no longer available from Casio parts sources like Pacparts.com -- for no apparent reason about two years ago, EVERY module in their catalog went from showing "not in stock, expect 1 -2 weeks for delivery" to "RESTRICTED PART CONTACT FACTORY SERVICE CENTER" in big red letters. IF you do indeed need a new module, you might try contacting Casio about sending the watch in for a new module, but based on other reports here that's likely to cost as much as a new watch.
    Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, the watch went into a department store for a battery change. The employee there changed the battery (Renata) and then pinched the gasket when he/she closed it back up. That battery only lasted a few weeks and then died. That's when it came to me. I put in a new battery (maxell) and new gasket then gave it back. That maxell battery only lasted two weeks. Now I have it again, I replaced the battery with another new maxell two days ago and it's working fine. This time I'm going to hold onto it for a few weeks and see what happens. I thought that it could have been a bad battery but the fact that it went through a Renata and a Maxell made it seem like there was something else going on.

I don't have a battery tester but maybe it would be a good idea to get one. I do change a lot of batteries for friends and family so it would be good to know I'm giving them batteries with a lot of juice in them.
    ruizjaime26 likes this.
    Current Collection

Seiko SNZH55
    Poljot Alarm
    Citizen Nighthawk

If it had any moisture, it was only a matter of time before metal parts started to corrode. it doesn't take much.

they ought to give you a new watch, but it'll never happen

Neil
    IN
    G-Shock DW-5200, GD-350, GW-6900

OUT
    G-Shock - a lot of them | Aquadive BS100 | Seiko: BFK's, Monsters, Tuna 007, 015 | Helberg/H2O: Kalmar 1, CH-1, CH-6 |
    Eterna: Super Koniti 1973 LE | Enzo: EMV, EM001 | Omega: Bond SMP | Zilla: Auto, Ti, SS | sAs: Sea Classic II | Maranez: Bangla Ti & Brass | Halios: Puck, Laguna, Holotype | Zixen: PVD Trimix | WCT: 1000m Seal clone, SS & DLC

Quote Originally Posted by solar g-shocker View Post
    If it had any moisture, it was only a matter of time before metal parts started to corrode. it doesn't take much.

they ought to give you a new watch, but it'll never happen

Neil
    Everything looks good inside. There isn't any evidence of corrosion that I can see. It's weird though that it works with a new battery for a bit. You'd think if it was pooched, it wouldn't work at all. The watch isn't mine, it's my dad's friends watch and I doubt the Department Store would replace it after someone else (me) has opened it after them.
    Current Collection

Seiko SNZH55
    Poljot Alarm
    Citizen Nighthawk

Either keep feeding it batteries every 2 weeks or trash it and get a new one. It is toast.

i am wondering what if your dad's friend likes to play with the G's light in the dark - it looks awesome with the ms (i think)
    just saying ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information