battery life question...

Thread: battery life question...

battery life question...

Why do some G-shocks use batteries that last only 2 years, while others have 10 year batteries?

Looks to me like the internals should be similar enough that they could all use the longer life batteries.

Dan

Re: battery life question...

I was thinking that exact question a couple of days ago, if they can make G-shocks with 10 year battery life from a regular CR 2032, etc.. they should make all models that can go 10 years, 2 years is too short.

You'll notice that the ten year battery models have significantly dimmer EL lights, and possibly shorter duration lights as well. The EL lights drain batteries far more than most of the other basic functions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

there are only certain model works with 10 year only, due to the function and feature of the watch being use, normal G-shock is around 2-3 year, unlike protrek is less than a year or 6 month :)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    You'll notice that the ten year battery models have significantly dimmer EL lights, and possibly shorter duration lights as well. The EL lights drain batteries far more than most of the other basic functions.

I agree with what Buzzbait said, a G9000 would have an estimated battery life of about 2-3 years? and a G9100 would have an estimated battery life of about 5 years. The difference between the two is that the latter has a longest EL setting of 3 seconds and the other has 5 seconds of EL.

We can see a significant increase in Battery life when the EL is cut short.

If you'd like to save on battery, put your EL on the shortest duration and limit the use of EL if not needed.
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

If you never used the alarm or light, the 2-year watch battery would last over 10 years.
    ShockMister

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    If you never used the alarm or light, the 2-year watch battery would last over 10 years.
    Agree.
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

I remember buying a non-G Casio in 1994. The Heavy Duty 200M model, basically the largest of the square black digital watches at the time. The model had been around forever so who knew what the shelf life was when I bought it. I used it for a few months then put it away in a drawer somewhere.

I found it about 8 years later very surprised that it was still running.
    ShockMister

I bought a G2500 that was sitting in a case for who knows how long in november of 2003, and used this watch (every function, including all 5 alarms and the backlight) CONSTANTLY until around april 2005. When I mean use, I mean EVERY single day. At that time, I had many time hacks I had to meet (which is why i bought one with 5 alarms) so I used the alarms every day. They were my alarm clock for wakin' up as well. I hit the backlight on that watch probably over 2000 times. This watch got considerable use, and got abused regularly. I had to have the battery changed in april of 05, and I quit using it after that. Not bad for all the use it seen. I can see that if you used the watch as it should have been (normal civilian use) the battery would last probably 10 years easily.
    I had an original timex triathalon back when I was 10 years old, and lasted on its original battery 'till I joined the military when I was 19.

" I bought a G2500 that was sitting in a case for who knows how long..."

Actually, one way you can tell is by looking at the date and year. When the battery is loaded at the factory the watch usually starts counting at 1-1 and the lowest year its calendar will do. Like if the watch's calendar starts at 1-1-2000 and you see it says 9-5-2000 it's been in there slightly over nine months. I find most sit on the shelf 6-9 months. This is of course for future reference since you've already lost that info.

Also, you should check to see if the timers/alarms are on and assume worst case scenario that they've been running that whole time. Before I checked this I got several watches with 2 months battery life!

Also, the manual says 10 year batteries use the alarm for 10 seconds, while normal watches calculate it with 20 seconds.
    Last edited by cdude; March 31st, 2008 at 20:06.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Thread Information