Battery life shorter for non-atomic Mudman than Non-atomic Gulfman. Why?

Thread: Battery life shorter for non-atomic Mudman than Non-atomic Gulfman. Why?

Battery life shorter for non-atomic Mudman than Non-atomic Gulfman. Why?

First of all hello! Although not completely new to G-Shocks (I’ve already got 7, with a G9000MX-8 on its way!), I’m new to the forum and have a question that I really can’t seem to find an answer for:

Given that the G9000 Mudman and G9100 Gulfman both have fairly similar functions, have the ‘Dual Illuminator’ feature and use a CR2025 battery, why does the Mudman have a rated battery life of 3 years compared to the 7 years of the Gulfman?

I find it hard to imagine, but are the 2x 1000 hour stopwatches on the Mudman a real drain on battery power? Unless I’m missing something, I really can’t think of any other reason to account for this large difference.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Pelican; April 8th, 2009 at 19:32. Reason: Typo

Re: Battery life shorter for non-atomic Mudman than Non-atomic Gulfman. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    First of all hello! Although not completely new to G-Shocks (I’ve already got 7, with a G9000MX-8 on its way!), I’m new to the forum and have a question that I really can’t seem to find an answer for:

Given that the G9000 Mudman and G9100 Gulfman both have fairly similar functions, have the ‘Dual Illuminator’ feature and use a CR2025 battery, why does the Mudman have a rated battery life of 3 years compared to the 7 years of the Gulfman?

I find it hard to imagine, but are the 1000 stopwatches on the Mudman a real drain on battery power? Unless I’m missing something, I really can’t think of any other reason to account for this large difference.

Any ideas?
    Aside from the dual stopwatches on the Mudman, it might also be due to the Flash alert function and the 1 extra alarm.

But it's fairly easy to surpass the rated battery life on those watches, especially if you don't use the backlight and alarms too often.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; April 8th, 2009 at 18:16.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

the mudman's backlight duration can be set to 5 seconds max, while that of the gulfman can only do 3 seconds max. also, like bogeyman wrote the mudman has an flashalarm, while the gulfman does not.

I wouldn't worry about the battery life because they are very conservative casio assumptions. most watches with a CR2025 batteries will last much longer than 5 years. but even if you use the alarms with flashing ten times per day and the 5sec el 30 times so what? maybe the battery is empty after one year, but its really not that hard to put a new one in, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes, thats it.
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    the mudman's backlight duration can be set to 5 seconds max, while that of the gulfman can only do 3 seconds max. also, like bogeyman wrote the mudman has an flashalarm, while the gulfman does not.

I wouldn't worry about the battery life because they are very conservative casio assumptions. most watches with a CR2025 batteries will last much longer than 5 years. but even if you use the alarms with flashing ten times per day and the 5sec el 30 times so what? maybe the battery is empty after one year, but its really not that hard to put a new one in, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes, thats it.
    Thanks guys for your thoughts! The backlight duration on the Mudman might be it, although the Gulfman does also have a flash alert (called SYNC on screen) that goes off with hourly signal, alarms etc. So, as you say, the backlight option might be the simple reason.

I hardly ever use EL, or the alarms, on my watches anyhow and tend to use an analog with lume for night viewing. That, together with the combination of having several watches, means that the battery life on most of them is far longer than the nominal values given in the technical specs.

As for battery changes, well they're half the fun of owning a watch with a battery!

Thread Information