Battle of the Negative Displays
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Battle of the Negative Displays

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Trying to be as unbiased as possible.

I offer you battle of the (-) Displays.
    Two contenders... the Ironman Rugged 30 blackout edition and the G-Rescue GW7900B-1

I just got the G yesterday and has not left my wrist. Slept with it and Sync'd with Atomic. I must say that I really wish that Timex would come up with a similar watch to compete with the GW7900 line to include Solar/Atomic.

As a summary for those that my like Negative Displays. Overall viewing and function goes to Timex. On most well lit conditions, none offer an issue being to tell time, but the Timex bigger digits and I do not know why, but they offer a much cleaner contrast and definition to the naked eye which is hard to capture via pictures. The smaller case also gives Ironman the edge for those that either like to wear regular sized watches or that may have smaller wrists. The G shock is only an issue for those that wear long sleep shirts.

Both pieces wear extremely comfortably, but with a different approach. The timex strap is designed and goes down right from the case; while the G is dependant on what I call 'wings' that sit on the bottom extending out from the spring section to come to the same effect to hug the wrist. The Ironman can be worn with a long sleeve shirt without an issue; while the G is going to put up a fight every time you want to see the time. The case on the G sits about 4mm taller than the ironman and it is about four to five mm wider as well.

The G is purpose built and you can see and feel that; the materials used are both similar; but on this area I must give it to the G, it feels superior; however, the resin of the Ironman is also of very good quality which paired with the lightness of the watch makes it a good combo. The G is a lot heavier. While the Ironman is not shock proof, it is very rugged and it can withstand a lot of abuse due to the construction of the case and how TX makes the movement 'float' inside the case.

Indiglo vs Illuminator on this one; clearly the winner here is Timex. What gives it the edge is on dim lighting conditions, the Indiglo is clearly sharper and easier to see than the Illuminator.. however, on a dark room they are both equally good.

The resin straps are also very good on both watches, but the Iron man offers more details with a tire pattern thread and is also signed with the Ironman Logo on the strap as well as the keeper, while the G offers a wider strap with a smooth finish all the way around; but not signed at all and neither the buckle.

Function and ease of operation. TX clearly takes a full point on this one. Starting with the buttons which are super easy to operate and have a tactical feel to it. You don't have to press much to know when it engaged. The Gs button are actually a bit bigger but some how with a smaller profile and due to where they sit in relation to the case, sometimes it makes it for repeated tries before you engage operation. The interface on the TX is simple and pretty straight forward, and functions can be hidden from interface (alarms, timers, chrono, occasional reminder); the interface on the G is not hard at all, specially if you have had another G before, but does not allow any disabling of functions. Indiglo is also on as well as you are operating the watch. With the G, you must keep pressing the buttton every one or three seconds.

In Summary. Both are great watches to wear. Considering that the TX is only a 3rd of the price than the G; it makes for a very attractive offer; but lacks solar and Atomic sync. The G bullet proof construction would be the clear way to go for those that have the need, or are just prone to abuse watches. Still at under $100, I think it is also very attractive option.

For those that may not see as well than our younger days... the Ironman is easier to see mostly due to the bigger digits; and all of the G's information is crammed in an area that is smaller than a quarter.

Attachment 14049077

Attachment 14049079Attachment 14049081

Name:  IMG_3066.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  277.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3067.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  288.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3055.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  396.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3051.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  336.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3052.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  411.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3053.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  431.3 KB
    ... What time is it? ...

.... for those that may just be comparing between Negative Display or non Negative Display...

Name:  IMG_3083.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  285.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3084.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  215.6 KB
    Dreamnine, Dxnnis and memento_mori like this.
    ... What time is it? ...

CC

Re: Battle of the Negative Displays

So bigger digits on a neg display and/or a positive display are easier to see...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another twist of an age old debate. Negative or positive, its up to the individual.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Dreamnine and Dxnnis like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    So bigger digits on a neg display and/or a positive display are easier to see...
    Bigger digits will make it easier to read no matter in which model. But choosing between a Neg or Pos display for the same model, it is much easier to see the Positive display. The negative display options are good for those that really like the military stealthy look. If it is just for looks, the Negative displays are usually really good looking.... but you pay for the inconvenience specially around rooms that are not well lit. Outdoors or indoors with good lighting, there is always a way to get a good angle to view it just fine.
    Dreamnine likes this.
    ... What time is it? ...

These two modified Rangeman are the leftover parts from making a positive navy blue and positive olive green Rangeman:

Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    These two modified Rangeman are the leftover parts from making a positive navy blue and positive olive green Rangeman:
    That led me back to this old thread. If Casio had the olive green with a positive display I know I would be getting one. They don't; so I am still a one rangeman guy.
    yankeexpress and Dreamnine like this.

Hmm, I'm no expert, but according to information I read on F17, displays of solar models are generally by design not as contrasty as their non-solar model counterparts. Yet, the comparison here is between a solar model vs. a non-solar model of different makes.

Here is why:

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    Hmm, I'm no expert, but according to information I read on F17, displays of solar models are generally by design not as contrasty as their non-solar model counterparts. Yet, the comparison here is between a solar model vs. a non-solar model of different makes.
    Prolly cause Timex does not make new solar digital models anymore. This is an old solar Ironman, long out of production:

Here is why:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information