the "beep"

Thread: the "beep"

the "beep"

how does the gshock make the "beep" sound? is it a speaker, can i see a picture of one?

Wink Re: the "beep"

It's a piezo buzzer, located on the back of the watch. I have franklie no idea how such thing works. Maybe there are physics experts here who can explain it's working.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: the "beep"

I suspect that the pizzo is a large amplifire, but i don't know ether

I can tell you how the vibrating alarm G-Shock works. there is a tiny electrical moter in the botton of the case(inside) that is attached to the circute board that spins when the alarm goes off to cause that spin. I got curious and took mine apart.

Leon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Human
    how does the gshock make the "beep" sound? is it a speaker, can i see a picture of one?
    just like what they said (not that i know what's the "thing" is called, haha :-D )

but you won't see a speaker in the back of your G

you will see a copper-colored metal piece on the caseback, and that's about it. and you will need the alarm spring (in most model) for the contact to make it works

Omega's X-33 have a hollow caseback that can generate +80db of alarm. now that's LOUD!

Piezo buzzers work on the piezo piezoelectric effect. What that means is there are certain materials that deform when electricity passes through them. By sending a rapidly changing electrical signal through the buzzer it rapidly deforms and springs back to its original shape, moving air as it does this.

Materials that exhibit the piezoelectric effect also generate electricity when they're deformed. Quartz is one such material. Rochelle salt is another.

Images of the piezo buzzer

Google search results on piezo buzzer

Google search reuslts on Rochelle salt

Wikipedia article about the piezoelectric effect
    Last edited by cdude; March 10th, 2006 at 05:39.

Very cool. How about those Utes, and their piezo spirit rattles! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_Tribe
    My MT-G can commuicate with the spirts too. :-D
    Last edited by Human; March 10th, 2006 at 17:41.

Here's a picture of one. It's glued to the back of the watch on the inside. This pic is from a Timex, but Casio does it the same way with both the G-Shocks and the non-G-Shocks, as well as Nelsonic, Advance, Lorus and a whole bunch of other companies. The only time I've ever seen anything different is the Casio phone dialer, it had something (I don't remember what) on the front that made the beep sound as well as the DTMF to dial the phone. It looked like either a small speaker or a small piezo buzzer, but I've never taken one apart. Another variation is some talking watches I find in thrift stores, those use actual speakers in the front of the watch.

I was loaded on Vicodin last night and was mentally incapable of operating the scanner at that time. I barely remember making my previous post.B-):-S:-D YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Vicodin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information