Beer question

Thread: Beer question

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off topic Beer question

I know I've seen forumers post pics of watches with different beers. This is off topic, but does anyone homebrew? The reason I ask is I would like to trade recipes if anyone does. I'm partial to both Trappist style and REALLY hoppy varieties. I prefer all-grain recipes (cost and control), but will also occ make extract varieties.......
    Please send PM's.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Artego Caribbean, 300M
    Casio (too many G's)
    Dagaz(Zero I),
    Gruppo Gamma MK III Vanguard
    Omega(2254.50 SMP)
    Seiko(1G custom Monster, custom 6309)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Re: Beer question

I have only made extract batches. Started in 1989 but have not made any in years. Don't have much to share just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

I don't care much for heavily hopped beer. Seems every micro brew is like that. I'm getting to think their view of a "quality" beer must be smothered in hops. I'd rather have a nice bitter or heavy Imperial Stout myself.

I have mostly made ales due the them being easier but have tried a few lagers. I have never made anything (that I recall) being so bad that I wasn't able to drink it

The smell of toasting barley and the wort coming to a boil on the stove top is a distant memory but still an strong and happy one. I'm going to guess the last time I made any was nearly 5 years ago.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Wink Re: Beer question

I do not only brew my own beers, I also teach students from time to time. for my birthday I brew a nice dark beer. It ended up BUSH BEER style (Dubuisson, Belgium), while actually I actually hoped for a Rochfort 8º style.

Here some pics of the production of the last two brews.

(oops, a little high density, results in 11º Belgium degrees)

My new cooler!

5 fermentation bottles (actually 3 brews). that's a new record. It is now kept warm with a small heating device.

After a day brewing, it's time for a beer... Sorry, just a simple Pilsener.

The bottle line three months later...

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; October 6th, 2009 at 12:49.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like beer.

I've never homebrewed though. There's some really good small breweries around Philly that keep me happy (two within walking distance). Hops are good.

Sjors seems to have it down to a science.

Wink Re: Beer question

Hi Riley,

I think here in Europe American beers are sometimes under rated (or underestimated) or forgotten. Probably because only the "tasteless" * beers for the masses are known here. Recently the popularity of IPA's (US style) is increasing in Belgium and the Netherlands (like La Choufe IPA, Brigand IPA, etc). I see an increasing interest in Cascade and Columbus hops.

The microbrewery culture in the US results in interesting beers. Although often the big Belgium ales are imitated, the results can be very interesting and tasteful.

It's beer tasting tonight, and the topic is: The USA. Lets see what tonight brings.

Cheers,

Sjors

* beers that compremise with the taste of the drinkers. Not too bitter (so barely bitter), not to sweet (so not sweet). Resulting in beers that almost taste like spring water (isn't there even one claiming the name of a good and tasteful Czech pilsener?).
    Last edited by Sjors; October 6th, 2009 at 16:50.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Suspended

Put the phone down darling. It's beer making time.

Actually the quality of beer has come a long way in the US since the 70's. It is an interesting story as was explained to me once. I personally don't home brew because that would just encourage me to drink too much, but I have helped many on occasion.

Beer was good in the US for a long time...we were settled by Europeans remember, until the time of Prohibition knocked out most of the small companies. What was left was Miller, Budweiser, and such with the limited selection of Pilsner style. This reminds me of a joke told to me by a guy from Denmark. What does American beer and having sex in a canoe have in common? They are both f***ing close to water.

Anyway, up until the 70's it was actually illegal to sell home brew. This of course had the desired impact to keep competition down with the major acceptable brands at the time. The laws were eventually changed and we now have a generation of home brew/micro brew that have had a great impact on domestic beer selection in the US. It is interesting to walk through the aisles now and see the variety that we now have here. Not long ago I had a layover in the airport in Oregon so I had lunch while I waited. I was amazed that the beer selection in the airport of all places did not include any major brand and instead was all local brew.

Great photographs Sjors
    The young pretty ladies like your class it seems....

I love very hoppy beer! Just recently I had an opportunity to try Witches Brew. Not that hoppy but WOW, so many complex flavors..... I love all the microbrews and the opportunity that I have to try so many different brands and types of beer. I will NOT drink Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. etc. We just have so many opportunities to taste truely magnificant brews...

Witches Brew = A Belgian Strong Ale brewed by
    Brouwerij Van Steenberge
    Ertvelde, Belgium

Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

Sjors has got it down! The US has an incredible amount of micro-breweries that turn out fantastic beer. But, they lack the money and resources of companies like Budweiser and Miller, so there is no chance of getting their product to European markets.

Je hebt inderdaad gelijk! Ik woon hier al 10 jaar en ze kunnen er wel wat van. Maar ik mis nog altijd Brand en Brand Up voor de zomer, nou ja, rond die tijd kom ik toch ieder jaar terug naar het zuiden. Gezondheid!

San Diego is supposedly the world "capital" of microbrews (as in # of breweries per capita or something, regardless of volume of output). I'm finally starting to appreciate the more "challenging" beers that come out of a lot of them. I used to hate super-hoppy beers like most of Stone Breweries' products (which range from "wow that's really hoppy" to "the smell will make your face pucker uncontrollably) but I'm starting to dig them now, especially paired with food Beer is starting to take on a cultural identity similar to wine, but among a younger, less snobby crowd (though there are a lot of beer snobs, too).

I've not tried to home brew; but I'm willing to be a taster if anyone needs one.
    Bulova Accutron
    Hamilton "Golden Boy"
    Tissot Ballade
    Casio G Shock GW2500-A1
    Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.01.002

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information