Beginning to appreciate Full Auto EL

Thread: Beginning to appreciate Full Auto EL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beginning to appreciate Full Auto EL

Hi all,

Up till a couple of months ago, I shared the same sentiments with some fellow WUS'ers about the dim EL light of the Solar models. So I went on a hunt (with vengeance) for battery operated EL lights.

Then I came across the "mother-of-all" backlights..... the DOUBLE LED lit GD-100! Promptly ordered it and got in my mailbox without much delay. And my GOD was it sooper bright! The LED was white and really was like a torch light!

I enjoyed playing with it for a couple of weeks. The GD-100 came with an "Auto" back light, little did I realise the difference between that and "Full Auto", no matter. As it turns out when I have the auto back light function on, it will switch off automatically after 6 hours, thereby saving the battery power. Still I was really chuffed about that sooper bright LED.

By the 3rd week into the GD-100, I realised it was really too bright. You see, my young son has a habit of waking in the wee hours of the night when I'm already in dream land. So when he wakes me (am on night duty, whilst wifey takes a much needed rest), I promptly flicked my wrist to see what time it is only to be "blinded" by the brightness.

I'm getting on with age, so on top of getting long sighted, my sleepy eye balls get dazzled by the LEDs and I get blinded momentarily. I decided to switch back to my G-6900/G-5600 solar powered G's and my Protrek. The Protrek has a distinct advantage because of the big numerals.

It was only then did I realise, due to the "weakness" of the EL light, I could read it relatively easily. My groggy eyeballs could adapt to the light much easier.

I say "relative" because I cannot adjust the duration of the back light function (for all 3 models), so I have to flick my wrist twice (quite a feat if you have to carry your son with both arms).

Hence my quest for the G-9100 battery powered. True the auto light seems clearer and I could adjust the duration of that function. Unfortunately, when compared to the solar powered G's EL lights, it was still a tad too bright. May be because it's a "Dual Illuminator" like the Mudman. Hence my further quest for a single illuminator EL, battery powered - The G-7900 (it's on the way, and will post updates later).

Anyone else have this experience?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Beginning to appreciate Full Auto EL

Yeah, I have the same experience. all those super-bright LED illuminators do nothing for me than to annoy and blind me at night. It really pxxxxs me off, that so many new models come to market with LED instead of far superior EL and I refuse to buy any of them. If I need a torch, I have enough high-powered LED flashlights laying around and a Nitecore D10 is always on my belt. The best method for an electronic illumination is to make it negative. Besides my negative display G's, my cheap SGW-100 is the best of both worlds, positive display and negative illuminated digits. This should become mandatory on all models in my opinion.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

So, my eyes are not playing tricks with me then. I agree with you cal..45, my SGW100 is fantastic at night, I only wish it had the Auto Light function. I've been thinking of giving/selling it away, but somehow, I just couldn't bring myself to do it yet as it has wonderful features for the little $$ I dished out for it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a bunch of solar atomics, all with auto EL on all the time, and it works just fine for me. Either the ambient light is good enough to read the time, or is is dark enough for the relatively dim light to still make a watch perfectly legible. I don't need a pocket-sun on my wrist, for that purpose I have my Fenix PD30!

I also have battery powered G's on auto EL that are indeed brighter, but the functionality of the solar powered ones is never impaired; the light does its work beautifully.

Just my two cents:)

Paul

What I love about Full Auto EL that it is smart enough to not go off if there is enough ambient light, but as soon as it is dim around, it works.
    -=JohnnyBlazE=-

I like wearing my tritium G10, or another well lumed analog at night. I don't like getting blinded by the EL either!
    Wear what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    I like wearing my tritium G10, or another well lumed analog at night. I don't like getting blinded by the EL either!
    Yup, sometimes I'll wear my Uzi. It has just 4 hour markers and the lit hands.....wish there were more, but they get more expensive and I thought I could use that same budget for more G's!

I fully agree that inverse displays are the best for night use. The best I've owned so far is the Breitling Airwolf (shares movement with other B'lings, too). Unfortunately, its display was only so-so in full light, as this photo inadvertently captured. You can see my GW5000B was relatively legible and in fact it had a wider viewing angle than the B-- though both were great at night!

"It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlazE View Post
    What I love about Full Auto EL that it is smart enough to not go off if there is enough ambient light, but as soon as it is dim around, it works.
    That's got to be one of my favorite features as well. Next stop: EL should sense the intensity of light around you (during low lighting) and auto adjust brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    That's got to be one of my favorite features as well. Next stop: EL should sense the intensity of light around you (during low lighting) and auto adjust brightness.
    Yeah...that'll be so cool....except how would it know not to be to bright as to dazzle like the GD-100?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information