Best Feature Sets?

Thread: Best Feature Sets?

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    733

    Best Feature Sets?

    My GW530A-1V is great for what I bought it for: A rugged solar atomic. It does do some cool things: I like having tons of alarms, world time, auto illumination, etc.

    However, its overall feature set seems a bit lacking. For example, there is no countdown timer. Also, you can't turn off the "beep" which accompanies every button press. The light cannot be set to stay on for a few seconds after pushing a button (so setting an alarm in the dark is hard, for example). All of these features can be found on some of my (much cheaper) Timex watches.

    If I decide to buy another G-Shock, is there a model which does not have these deficiencies?

  2. #2
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,789

    Re: Best Feature Sets?

    Except of the permanent illumination all those features are available on several Gs.

    The button beep is disabled at some models by pressing the Mode button for several seconds.
    Almost all newer model are featuring the mute.
    I.e. G-7700, GW-M5600, G-7900.
    The G-7700 also featuring a double countdown timer.
    The other 2 a standard one.
    The model you own is one of the very few without countdown timer.



    Quote Originally Posted by WtchSeekr View Post
    My GW530A-1V is great for what I bought it for: A rugged solar atomic. It does do some cool things: I like having tons of alarms, world time, auto illumination, etc.

    However, its overall feature set seems a bit lacking. For example, there is no countdown timer. Also, you can't turn off the "beep" which accompanies every button press. The light cannot be set to stay on for a few seconds after pushing a button (so setting an alarm in the dark is hard, for example). All of these features can be found on some of my (much cheaper) Timex watches.

    If I decide to buy another G-Shock, is there a model which does not have these deficiencies?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NW USA
    Posts
    2,973

    Re: Best Feature Sets?

    there is no perfect watch. that being said, the gw9200 riseman and gw9010 rally mudman are both really capable modules. the 'i want to set the alarm in the dark' problem is well bemoaned here, though, and no current g-shock that i know of completely solves it. by the way, g's do have plenty of qualities that timexes don't.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

    *SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    733

    Re: Best Feature Sets?

    ^True, but I mean, c'mon Casio, it seems they should be able to integrate the features of $20 Timexes into the considerably more expensive G Shock line.

    Offhand, does the Pathfinder series have the same issue with illumination?

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Milton MA
    Posts
    25

    Re: Best Feature Sets?

    Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    there is no perfect watch. that being said, the gw9200 riseman and gw9010 rally mudman are both really capable modules. the 'i want to set the alarm in the dark' problem is well bemoaned here, though, and no current g-shock that i know of completely solves it. by the way, g's do have plenty of qualities that timexes don't.
    Can't you set the alarms/time on watches with a fifth light button? I haven't tried it on my 7700 but I think it works...

  7. #6
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: Best Feature Sets?

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711 View Post
    Can't you set the alarms/time on watches with a fifth light button? I haven't tried it on my 7700 but I think it works...
    no, it doesn't.


    regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

  8. #7
    Member archer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: Best Feature Sets?

    Quote Originally Posted by WtchSeekr View Post
    ^True, but I mean, c'mon Casio, it seems they should be able to integrate the features of $20 Timexes into the considerably more expensive G Shock line.
    There is no question in my mind that Casio could indeed include the features you want. Therefore it's not a matter of "can't" but more a matter of choosing not to. There is a good possibility that Casio's customer base is not asking for these to be added.

    Every watch is a compromise of features and benefits. The same could be said for many if not most products. That said, comparing a Timex to a Casio is a waste of ones time. As after all they are two different brands for two different target markets. While there is certainly some overlap, Timex's market is not something that Casio is interested in.

    Thus the way I choose to look at it, is to celebrate the choices we have from a host of manufacturers. Then I choose a watch that comes closest to my needs and preferences. In my case Casio is that Brand and G-Shock is the model line that I highly prefer when it comes to watches at this price point.

    Cheers...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •