Best NATO Strap for 5600
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By Tj baba

Thread: Best NATO Strap for 5600

Best NATO Strap for 5600

Hey I'm new here and just ordered a GWX5600, and I want to order a nato strap to replace original wristband. Where is the best place to get the strap and conversion pieces? Thanks

I'm thinking about getting this kind. What size width should I use for GWX-5600? Also where do I get the right adapters? Thanks

Zulu 5 ring
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Best NATO Strap for 5600

If we knew where you lived, that might help a little with "the best place" to get the conversion pieces. Most places that sell them are in the US, one is in the UK.

Knowing WHICH conversion pieces you want would help, too: there are the original Casio strap adapters available from Casio parts distributors in the US and UK (as well as many third party vendors), some very similar ones from eBay in the US, some custom designed 3D printed adapters from the US, and even some adapters made of stainless steel.

Knowing which adapters you want will help YOU decide if you want to go with a 22mm or a 24mm strap, and might affect your decision about using a NATO or 5-ring Zulu strap: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ano...ry-814808.html

Classic "3 ring" Zulu straps don't have the extra fabric and hardware, so they won't cause the watch to "ride up" above the strap.

There are probably a hundred "good" places around the world to buy high-quality nylon straps, so if you can narrow down a continent where you live, a style, a width and a hardware finish for a strap and possibly a color, that will help us provide you with more information -- but unless you're buying a REALLY inexpensive strap, most of the better ones are pretty close in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tj baba View Post
    I'm thinking about getting this kind. What size width should I use for GWX-5600? Also where do I get the right adapters? Thanks
    Width depends on which adapters you're using.

"Right" adapters varies widely, depending on what you're looking for. See above.

I just ordered these 3d printed plastic ones from shape ways dot com. I'm kind of scared about them being plastic. I will try them and let u guys know if it works. Also I ordered the pictured zulu 22mm. This is part number 1647 for the conversion

Definitive adapter list as of 1/1/16 -- I'll be copying and pasting this in the future:

Original Casio resin adapters in the US:

PacParts: 91041910487 $4.14 per pair plus $4.95 shipping inside the US (Pacparts is now using USPS for international shipping, so it's not as insanely expensive as it used to be -- but as of 1/1/16 it was $9.89 to ship two adapters to London, England.)

CountyComm - Adapters For Casio G-Shock Watches $12 USD plus shipping plus $9.95 shipping inside the US

maratac $12 a pair plus $6.00 shipping inside the US

Original Casio resin adapters in the UK and Europe:

G Shock adaptors - Tiktox £13.80 per pair with free shipping in the UK

There are also three aftermarket companies also producing their own style of adapters:

Brushed, polished, or coated stainless steel adapters: http://www.suppaparts.com/suppag.php

3D printed adapters made of plastic or metal: Keoni by Keoni - Shapeways Shops

Plastic/resin adapters that are similar to and resemble Casio adapters: http://stores.ebay.com/JaysAndKays
    $12 a pair for adapters only, in five different colors OR $25 for a pair of black adapters, PLUS a 24mm strap in seven colors and two buckle finishes.

"Best" source for 22mm and 24mm straps:

Seriously, people might as well ask us the best place to buy tires -- and it always helps to know where they live. (Obviously, shipping a watch strap internationally won't be as expensive as shipping tires, but the shipping cost could easily be more than the cost of the strap. It's probably better to buy local and save some money.) But just like someone asking about tires there are a lot of follow-up questions like "tires for WHAT?" and "what size?" and "what KIND of tires?"

Do they want a NATO strap, or a 3- or a 5-ring Zulu strap? (NATO and Zulu are NOT interchangeable terms -- they're different types of straps that are usually different thicknesses and have different hardware: https://www.natozulu.com/content/11-...rap-difference ) Do they want stainless steel, PVD-finished steel, or some fancier metal for the hardware? Solid colors or stripes for the nylon portion? The question of "which width?" will often be determined by "which adapters are they using?"

Note that broadarrow.net cautions against using adapters with NATO straps because of the complicated equation of "which model watch + which adapters + which BRAND and/or style of strap + which diameter and shape of wearer's wrist" means that some combinations will cause the watch to ride up above the wearer's wrist, as in this WUS thread (and several others): https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ano...ry-814808.html

Actually, their site currently says "These adapters do NOT work well with NATO STRAPS" AND twice says "PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT [THE CASIO] ADAPTERS DO NOT WORK WITH NATO STRAPS."

In reality, these adapters SOMETIMES work with NATO and 5-ring Zulu straps, depending on the particular watch and the EXACT length of the shorter fabric flap -- but I'll guess that "sometimes" is probably less than 50% of the time. (It might be a lot less than 50% of the time -- that site also claims that "not a single day goes by that someone doesn't email us with a complaint that the Casio adapter that they just purchased from us does not work correctly with their NATO strap. So we can't stress this point enough.")

It's probably NOT a good idea to buy a NATO or 5-ring Zulu strap unless the buyer realizes that they may have to cut off the extra flap to make that strap work with their watch and adapters.
    artblakey likes this.

Number 1624 for the conversion, not 1674 sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Tj baba View Post
    I just ordered these 3d printed plastic ones from shape ways dot com. I'm kind of scared about them being plastic. I will try them and let u guys know if it works. Also I ordered the pictured zulu 22mm. This is part number 1647 for the conversion
    34 PAGES of pictures and reviews of Keoni's Shapeways adapters: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/sha...em-974579.html

Most people seem to like them, though a few people reported problems.

Thanks guys. This is the watch I ordered, and I'm so excited!

fcasoli and DC Lavman like this.

Thread Information