• Malaysia

0 0%
  • China

1 16.67%

Thread: The best non-Japan G-Shock manufacturer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The best non-Japan G-Shock manufacturer

Hi guys,

I only have one Japan made Casio watch and it is my PRG-110. I know this piece is not rated as a "G". But in your own opinion, which non-Japan country manufactures G-Shocks better? Korea? Thailand? Malaysia? or China? thank you!
    Last edited by devgru; March 27th, 2008 at 16:58.

Re: The best non-Japan G-Shock manufacturer

I haven't voted nor will I as this is how urban myths start.

Most all of the countries listed assemble japanese made parts rather than make the whole watch so too many variables to make a sensible poll really. Odds are ALL the plastic parts are outsourced from Japan even with so called Japan Made watches.

With most items of electronics made by japanese companies the first runs are made in country and then when proved made cheaper elsewhere...by made in most case I mean assembled. Even Japan can't compete now with other dragon economy countrys with regard to manufacturing costs.

this comes up just about every day and it seems most people feel that the product coming from any country is the same. certainly some disagree. theoretically there shouldn't be any difference. what would japan have that china doesn't, especially if it's the same company. casio would be making a big mistake if it didn't hold their own chinese or thai manufacturing facilities to the same standards as those in japan. certainly the same equipment is used. i guess the idea might be that there is tighter quality control in japan just because that's where the company is based, and because it seems the higher-end models are most often made only in japan. but i'd still think that wherever a manufacturing plant is located they would still have the same quality control.

i often wonder if these questions stem from some of the racism or culturalism that i've heard exists among the various asian countries. maybe many people feel the japanese work much harder and pay much more attention to detail than the chinese or koreans for example. then again, even here in the US most people have felt in the past that japanese products are higher quality than korean or chinese products. and i guess that's actually been true, thought it seems the other countries are catching up. but i think the bottom line is that we're talking about one company here and not comparing a japanese company and a chinese company. so i personally believe the point is moot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not voting either, for similar reasons.

Casio make Casios. Casio makes Casios in different countries. Casio uses machines to make Casios. Casio machines are all the same. Casio has quality control systems. Casio has the same quality control systems in all countries. In all Casio factories you press a button on the Casio machine and out comes a Casio.

I'm struggling not to use my super-powers to close the thread.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I'm not voting either, for similar reasons.

Casio make Casios. Casio makes Casios in different countries. Casio uses machines to make Casios. Casio machines are all the same. Casio has quality control systems. Casio has the same quality control systems in all countries. In all Casio factories you press a button on the Casio machine and out comes a Casio.

I'm struggling not to use my super-powers to close the thread.
    unfortunately we'll still likely see the same question pop up again tomorrow probably

Rolling eyes Re: The best non-Japan G-Shock manufacturer

Only by the title alone I had the same struggle as Tribe has for the very same reasons...
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

i think everybody misuderstood my thread. it is ok no harm done. please no flaming. i just wanted to know everyones opinion on this. i've read several threads about some countries not having the same quality control as Japan would have. and as a consumer, i have the right to know who makes the better product. i am not a racist like others might think just a wise and honest consumer. i herby request the moderators to close this thread. thank you though for those who replied. no harm no foul.

It must be the fact that I'm American or something, but I don't see anything wrong with asking this question.

As to the answer, I will honestly say that I've had better luck with my Japanese and Thai manufactured G-Shocks. The case back engravings and polishings are better. The timekeeping is generally better. Never had any fogging issues with my Thai and Japanese G-Shocks either.

I've had lots of QC issues with Chinese, Malay and Korean made G-Shocks, ranging from fogging to crooked displays to bad timekeeping to bent spring bars, etc.

I tend to agree with MarkMUK, Tribe and Sjors on this. I think it's just too tough a question to actually answer. Casio machines making parts in other countries, with QC procedures...just a ton of variables.

Honestly, I can't even answer the poll, as I never pay attention to where my G is made. I care if I can get it or not, but for all I care it could be made by my next door neighbor. If there were easy to spot differences from an arms-length away or greater, that's one thing, but I think you really have to examine two models from different countries to even try and come up with differences.

Of course...maybe I haven't had enough G's to really have a good opinion on this. I certainly wouldn't flame the author, or label the author racist. I don't think that's the case. I think it's just someone wanting to know more about what I believe is becoming a myth. Everything is not going to be made in Japan by Casio. Heck, Seiko is the same way. If you visit the Seiko forum, you'll see the same question (which country makes better Seikos) and you'll get similar responses (they're all the same parts, so they're the same).
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

Is there really going to be any difference or anything you can do about it?

I thought specific models came out of a specific Casio factory.

Most of the new Gs coming out these days are made in Thailand, and I have no problem with them.

If there is any duplication on the rare occasion, it would be in the Japan market made by Casio Japan. (I am not too sure about this point, or maybe it does not happen anymore)

As such even the 25th anniversary watches are made by Casio Thailand. And the last I saw, the only difference between Japan and the rest of the world, was whether you got it in a tin, or paper mache kevlar looking box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information