Best technique for cleaning the recessed crystals

Thread: Best technique for cleaning the recessed crystals

Best technique for cleaning the recessed crystals

I just wanted to share, after several attempts at cleaning, what I found to be the absolute best technique for cleaning G-Shock crystals, which are often recessed. This may seem obvious, but I thought I'd share anyway in case it helps someone.

Take a bottle of lens cleaner (window cleaner will work if you don't have camera lens or eyeglass cleaner). Spray it on one end of a Q-tip. Rub this wet end all around the crystal, being sure to get in all the corners around the bezel.

Then turn the Q-tip over, and rub it with the dry end, going over it until all the moisture is completely gone, turning the Q-tip as you go so as to wick up all the moisture.

Crystal should look brand new, even in the corners.

Captain Obvious, I know...

Re: Best technique for cleaning the recessed crystals

Great idea..gonna try that.
    Current Rotation:
    Longines Legend Diver -=- Speedbird III PRS-22 -=- Precista PRS-18-Q -=- CWC RN Diver Quartz
    Bombfrog BT25 -=- Citizen Orca -=- Seiko SKX009 'Pepsi' -=- GW-M5630e Lightning Yellow -=- Longines Ultra-Chron Cal. 431
    Frogman GF-8250-9 -=- GW-6900RD-4 'Burning Red'

If you want it super neat, get a Lenspen. I'm a photographer, I own about 4 of those, and they clean glass like literally nothing else. I swear by them for my many photo lenses.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcraft View Post
    If you want it super neat, get a Lenspen. I'm a photographer, I own about 4 of those, and they clean glass like literally nothing else. I swear by them for my many photo lenses.
    Lenspen will always leave smudge mark. You need a non-streaky cleaner and a method similar to the above work best.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_tech View Post
    Lenspen will always leave smudge mark. You need a non-streaky cleaner and a method similar to the above work best.
    I've used lenspens on my camera lenses in the past and they've always been great. No streaks for me.

Anyway, I keep a bottle of eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth here at my desk at work. I'll just give my G a spritz, wipe as much as I can with the cloth using my fingertip, and then use a toothpick I keep here as well to go around the outside edges.

I clean my crystals by running them under warm water, maybe some soap, then I whip the watch down on my jeans to get the water out the cracks and dry the rest off with a towel or paper towel. It looks brand new again.

Problem with using water is that a lot will get trapped under the bezel, and it's hard to remove it all (I don't think shaking that watch or whipping it down will get rid of all the water).

I'm also into photography, and I have considered buying a lenspen for my lenses. I've always used the microfiber cloth and lens cleaner route, but I think it's time to give the lenspen a try!

Thread Information