Which is the best way to preserve the G S

Thread: Which is the best way to preserve the G S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which is the best way to preserve the G S

with or without battery?
    thank you
    GV

Re: Which is the best way to preserve the G S

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean removing the battery for long-term storage?
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean removing the battery for long-term storage?
    exactly...i mean if you got 8/10 G-Shock ( or more let me say a collection) how do you "stock" them?
    thank you
    GV

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My feeling is that my collection needs to keep time. I wouldn't be interested in a collection where all the watches were dead.

I keep all my quartz watches alive with their batteries, and mechanicals and automatics I run every couple of weeks or better.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

ok but if you decide to collect them? and you want to be sure that they will keeep on working after several years?

My original G-Shock still hasn't had a replacement battery since early 1988. The bezel and strap and plastics are much more likely to be a problem than the battery and electronics. Relax, and feed your Gs!

Which G-Shocks do you have so far?
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

I would assume the best way to manage them to prevent resin rot would be to take out the batteries throw them in a sealed bag with a dessicant satchel for a few days to make sure there is no water at all then maybe vacuum seal them in plastic bags to eliminate all the air. I would then store them in a temperature controlled environment like a basement or cellar in a fire proof safe away from all light. Then 30 years later you can pull them out throw a battery in and rock some sweet perfectly preserved Old-school G-shocks!!! Hmmm not which model to throw in the "time capsule?!!"

Rolex 116610LV HULK Submariner
    Rolex 216570 Explorer II Polar White
    Rolex 16610 circa 1991
    Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph 9300
    Grand Seiko SBGA029 Spring Drive Diver
    Casio GW-5000

Casio:
    DW-9000

GW-5600

6600 G Shock (2, one brand new and another one used by a IDF)

Citizen

Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver Black Rubber Strap Watch

All in one day!!!!! Yesterday to be precise.....i m addicted

GV

Last edited by Giulio Verne; January 3rd, 2011 at 13:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
    I would assume the best way to manage them to prevent resin rot would be to take out the batteries throw them in a sealed bag with a dessicant satchel for a few days to make sure there is no water at all then maybe vacuum seal them in plastic bags to eliminate all the air. I would then store them in a temperature controlled environment like a basement or cellar in a fire proof safe away from all light. Then 30 years later you can pull them out throw a battery in and rock some sweet perfectly preserved Old-school G-shocks!!! Hmmm not which model to throw in the "time capsule?!!"
    I would be a little wary of dessicant you may find it might just accelerate ageing. I would just store them in a cool place out of sunlight, as exposure UV is certainly a factor. I am a little fearful that anything that aggressively removes moisture, may do the same to the resin, after all that`s what we see with "Resin Rot" the hardening and fracturing of the resin due to drying...

Q-6

I would keep them running, myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information