Bezel painting -- not lettering -- looking good in theory....
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Bezel painting -- not lettering -- looking good in theory....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bezel painting -- not lettering -- looking good in theory....

...and not too bad on the bezel -- SO FAR!

Sometimes I want the "traditional" look of a metal bezel on my G-Shocks (or even an actual metal bezel, if anybody made one that wasn't deliberately "bling-y.")

I've tried dying a couple of them different shades of gray, and have followed a couple of threads where people talked about painting them -- but "normal" paints become brittle when they dry out and there's no telling how well they're going to stick to a flexible plastic G-Shock bezel when they're worn. I knew that a couple of paint companies add "plasticizers" to the paint to keep it flexible when used on automotive parts like bumper fascias and deck panels but hadn't worked with it myself.

Recently I found out that Rust-o-leum and Duplicolor now make flexible spray paints specifically FOR plastics, vinyls and other flexible materials! The first one I found in a store was Duplicolor's Flexible Bumper Coating in "Medium Silver" and despite the NAPA paint counter guy knowing absolutely nothing about it, I decided to give it a try on some old bezel-dyeing experiments that I didn't like.

After shaking the can VERY well, I was pleasantly surprised to see that this "coating" comes out of the can in a VERY fine, rather translucent mist. (All of my recent "rattle can" projects have involved automotive primer and dark flat enamel, so this stuff was quite a switch! Since the can calls it a "coating" I was half-expecting the material to be much thicker.)

I put many very light layers on the first bezel -- it probably took six coats until the "coating" was completely opaque and then I gave it a few more. I sort of hurried on the second bezel because it was getting dark, so I sprayed it on a little thicker in about three coats. Because it comes out as such a fine mist, it dries very quickly -- and it also didn't fill in small details like the recessed "mode," "adjust" and "start-stop" lettering.

After they had dried for about 24 hours, I tried filling the "G-Shock" logo with black acrylic paint, but the excess dried a lot more quickly than I'm used to when doing lettering with Testors enamel. That made the "wiping up the excess part" a lot more difficult, so I didn't even try with the smaller lettering.

Name:  bezel paint.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  200.1 KB

Overall, I think they came out looking pretty good -- I'm not sure why they came out as slightly different colors. The one on the left looks more "silver" while the one on the right has more of a "bronze" cast. It might be due to the dye colors underneath, but I suspect it had something to do with "many light coats versus a couple of thick coats."

Now the BIG question becomes "how well will that paint/coating hold up to normal wear and tear of a G-Shock?" I have no idea but I'm hoping to find out -- I gave one bezel to a buddy who admits that he's hard on his watches. As mentioned, the stuff is designed for car bumpers, designed to be flexible, probably designed to be somewhat weather-resistant, and Duplicolor claims that it " ...offers a uniform, solid color with superior adhesion to thermoplastic rubber and polyurethane bumpers that won't flake, chip, or peel."

My expectations are very much in the middle of the road: I hope that this fancy coating holds onto the bezels better than traditional spray paint would, but on the other hand, I'm not expecting miracles! I'm planning to update this thread with new pictures when they start to show signs of wear, but a little part of me is HOPING that they'll still look like this next year...and the year after!

Re: Bezel painting -- not lettering -- looking good in theory....

So with some luck this thread should remain update free for few years

Looks really good, factory finish look. And very even look, this was a good find. Hopefully it will look like that also after some time.

that looks awesome

was the bezel originally black ? and how much was the can ? would it be avail. at home depot ? I want to try myself ... in case you fail to report it next year LOLz

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    So with some luck this thread should remain update free for few years
    That's the hope, at least! As I said, that coating certainly sounds great in theory -- we'll just have to see how it holds up against "real life," huh?

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    was the bezel originally black ? and how much was the can ? would it be avail. at home depot ? I want to try myself ... in case you fail to report it next year LOLz
    Both bezels were originally white before becoming Rit dye "failures." The one on the left was a sickly weird red-orange before I painted it, the one on the right was an equally weird peanut-butter brown with some darker brown blobs (which might explain the bronze cast if some of that is showing through. On the other hand, the one on the left doesn't seem to have an orange tint so it's anybody's guess! I put both in boiling water first to try to remove any excess dye or oil from fingerprints and then let them dry before painting.) I didn't use any sort of primer, but as nicely as the color "built up" it MIGHT work on black bezels just as well.

The can was $6.99 at NAPA Auto Parts -- Home Depot seems to have Rust-o-leum's version in matte black (but we've already got plenty of black G-Shock bezels! Rust-Oleum Automotive 11 oz. Trim and Bumper Matte Paint Spray (6-Pack)-251574 at The Home Depot
    Crater likes this.

They look very good, thanks for sharing!
    I like bezels with metallic paint finish and, if it holds up well, this is a very interesting mod!
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

damn, I was reading so fast the first time (too excited) that I missed "Napa" LOLz, i checked dubli-color website and they said it's available at Canadian tires which is closest to my house

thanks Mike !!!
    KillaSkill likes this.

Great job and it will be interesting to see how the paint holds up.

Mitch

I would think the paint should hold up pretty well on the bezel, unless you knock it around quite a bit. But even the "factory" gloss finish on a G bezel will sometimes chip and start to peel if it's beat up too much. I'd be really curious to know if this paint would hold up on the bands without peeling off.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

I once painted a 5600 bezel with Testor's spray enamel (primer and then silver spray enamel) and the results were pretty good, and it did not chip or flake off no matter how much I twisted it around. But it smelled so bad (like paint chemicals) that I ended up throwing it away after a couple months when the smell did not go away completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    But even the "factory" gloss finish on a G bezel will sometimes chip and start to peel if it's beat up too much. I'd be really curious to know if this paint would hold up on the bands without peeling off.
    It was actually a factory gloss silver bezel for a DW-6900 that started me down this path this tiime! I found one on eBay for $6 shipped, put it on my DW-6600, and my buddy and I were wishing they made a bezel like that for the solar and solar/atomic versions!

I was wondering about how this finish would hold up on bands as well, but since all of my favorite G's are on Zulu straps, I'm probably not the best person to be "field testing" it on resin bands.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    I once painted a 5600 bezel with Testor's spray enamel (primer and then silver spray enamel) and the results were pretty good, and it did not chip or flake off no matter how much I twisted it around. But it smelled so bad (like paint chemicals) that I ended up throwing it away after a couple months when the smell did not go away completely.
    I didn't even know Testors made a primer, but it makes sense that it would adhere well since their products used to be designed for plastic models! Sorry to hear that the smell didn't dissipate in two months, though -- I can barely detect a scent from this Duplicolor coating after about 72 hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information